Author Topic: Tyler Hansbrough in Green  (Read 15242 times)

Re: Tyler Hansbrough in Green
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2009, 03:54:16 PM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
both BBD and Powe are restricted FAs, correct? their both in rookie deals so the answer should be yes.

if so, i'd be very surprised if either ends up on another team. i think they both stay here on reasonable deals after danny makes clear they'll match any deal short of something looney.

Reasonable or not, it's still money, when we need to start gathering the money to lock Rondo up.  I'd like to resign one of them, who ever is more cost efficient I would resign, I'm assuming this will be Davis.  Then buying a pick like Hansbrough, Jeff Adrien, Jeff Pendergraph, maybe Taj Gibson would all be adequate in my opinion.
do it

« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2009, 03:54:30 PM »

Offline Brendan

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 72
both BBD and Powe are restricted FAs, correct? their both in rookie deals so the answer should be yes.

if so, i'd be very surprised if either ends up on another team. i think they both stay here on reasonable deals after danny makes clear they'll match any deal short of something looney.

Yeah, they will both be restricted free agents, so long as Danny offers them an offer sheet (either a 125% bump or the minimum salary + $175k, whichever is greater). 

I'm not sure if the Celts would automatically match any reasonable offer sheet for both.  What if they are both signed to 3 year, $12 million deals?  Would Danny match both?  I don't think he would.

In terms of Hansborough, I like the guy, and think he'd look great in green.  However, he's got some work to do before being a pro; his shot is going to get blocked constantly at this level.

Are you sure BBD is restricted?  Did we sign him to some kind of special rookie contract?  Because we only had him for 2 years on his original deal.  This is the same way Golden State lost Gilbert Arenas to Washington - they did not own his 'Bird Rights' because the rookie deal they gave him was only 2 years instead of 3. 

I could've sworn we had a discussion on here about us having the same problem when Danny 1st signed Big Baby.  Kudos was given to Davis' agent because he foresaw Glen outperforming his low draft position, and cashing in on a bigger contract one year sooner than the other guys in his draft class.  Am I totally making this up, or did that really happen?
That's why they added the Gilbert Arenas rule. Whether BBD got 2 years because his Agent wanted him to get to FA sooner, or because we had no MLE available from signing Posey and wanting to save some for PJ Brown mid year is up for debate. But the downside is we only have Early Bird rights - if he had blown up into the player some thought possible - then he'd be out a big. And not having Bird could deter Boston from a bigger offer if they like him as the first big off the bench, because they'd have to use MLE money on him. So its a two way street.

UPDATE: [dang] you Hobbs, can no one else answer a cap question :)

« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2009, 04:01:24 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
They should draft Wesley Matthews in the second round and then try and trade Giddens for some value. Matthews is going to be a very solid pro.

« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2009, 04:54:49 PM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg
They should draft Wesley Matthews in the second round and then try and trade Giddens for some value. Matthews is going to be a very solid pro.

That's a GREAT call. TP. Matthews is NBA ready.
Grab a few boards, keep the TO's under 14, close out on shooters and we'll win.

« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2009, 04:58:57 PM »

Offline jr_3421

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
As a current student at UNC, I have the opportunity to watch Hansbrough a lot. Here are a few notes on his game that I have picked up.

1. He can not play defense AT ALL. He has no shot blocking ability and his only good for a few charges.
2. As great of an offensive force as he is, Hansbrough has no vision in the post and has a habit of forcing shots with a wide open teammate available.
3. For all the people who think he is to short to score out of the post, think again! He has this unorthodoxed one handed hook shot that is money over taller defenders.
4. Having practiced with him (I'm on the JV team), I have to say that his midrange jumper looks great and it will only get better with his insane work ethic.

So if what you're looking for is a pf who will provide scoring and hustle but no defense, then Hansbrough is your guy. I dont see him in green but would love him to go to golden state where I think he would thrive.
"In the 4th quarter I'm whole different player"

-Paul Pierce

« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2009, 05:24:42 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
Not really interested in Hansborough. Sheldon Williams 2.0? Of course if he falls that far (2nd round) to the Celtics, I'd take him.  I'd like to see Stephen Curry on the team though.  He could be our Eddie House replacement.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 05:30:16 PM by Bankshot »
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2009, 05:30:59 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
I love his attitude and work ethic but can't see him touching the court on our team.  The celtics defensive schemes are just too important.  If powe & davis are gone then I think a vet would be better fit.

« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2009, 06:49:37 PM »

Offline twistedrico

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 22
I don't think he is going to be much more than average reserve in the NBA.

« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2009, 07:11:57 PM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
How can the Celtics get Tyler, who is a surefire lottery player, when we don't have a pick?

« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2009, 07:16:05 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
How can the Celtics get Tyler, who is a surefire lottery player, when we don't have a pick?

Draftexpress has him projected at #29 and nbadraft.net has him at #25.  He may indeed go higher, but he's not seen as a surefire lottery player at the moment.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2009, 07:46:42 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385

Yeah, they will both be restricted free agents, so long as Danny offers them an offer sheet (either a 125% bump or the minimum salary + $175k, whichever is greater). 

I'm not sure if the Celts would automatically match any reasonable offer sheet for both.  What if they are both signed to 3 year, $12 million deals?  Would Danny match both?  I don't think he would.

In terms of Hansborough, I like the guy, and think he'd look great in green.  However, he's got some work to do before being a pro; his shot is going to get blocked constantly at this level.

Are you sure BBD is restricted?  Did we sign him to some kind of special rookie contract?  Because we only had him for 2 years on his original deal.  This is the same way Golden State lost Gilbert Arenas to Washington - they did not own his 'Bird Rights' because the rookie deal they gave him was only 2 years instead of 3. 

I could've sworn we had a discussion on here about us having the same problem when Danny 1st signed Big Baby.  Kudos was given to Davis' agent because he foresaw Glen outperforming his low draft position, and cashing in on a bigger contract one year sooner than the other guys in his draft class.  Am I totally making this up, or did that really happen?

here's what ESPN's got to say on the subject:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=FreeAgents-09-10

by the way, i love that picture of Tommy. priceless. TP.

Two questions about that link.

1) According to Hoopshype, the C's have a team option on Gabe Pruitt next year.  ESPN doesn't reflect that.  Anyone know the deal on that? 

2) Not that I hope the bidding goes this high, but we do have Bird rights on Powe now, don't we? 

« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2009, 05:42:02 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I just watched the Duke/UNC game this weekend and saw a lot of Tyler H.

First of all I was shocked Dickie V was not only not calling the game, he wasn't even at the game. What the hell is that? Doesn't he OWN that game? Isn't it in his contract or something? Doesn't the head of ESPN officially lose his soul if Dickie V doesn't call that game? Whatever

Next thing. I saw him and was like "geeze he doesn't seem very big. He doesn't seem very fast either. And he can't shoot that great."

Ty has made about 5 three pointers in college. I don't think he can play pf in the pros unless he wants to be the smallest pf there is. I think Powe would kill him and that trying to guard Baby would be like trying to guard him with a shooting guard or something.

Ty doesn't seem to have quick lateral feet, do much on defense, or be able to jump high. So he would have to play sf.

Except at sf he isn't fast and can't shoot.

So he's like a rebounding sf. That's not good.

I know he bullied people in college for four years. But he won't be bullying Leon Powe or KMart or Hakkim Warrick or Big Baby or Sean Williams or Mikki Moore or anyone else in the pros. He can try but it won't work. He won't even be able to bully Scala. Scala can shoot and at least pretends to play three positions and has fine bball IQ. He makes up for talent.

Next. You might wonder why Ty is the only 4 time unaminous all-ACC selection ever and why he beat up on people in college.

Well little Ty is 24 years old. That's right. He's a 24 year old senior. He's older than Baby I think. He might be the same age as Perk. That's how.

I've seen this before. 21 year old freshman from China. Became the #3 ranked foil fencer in the country immediately. But once you're done beating up on people that aren't your own size things change.

This is the first ever big time college star I'd rather we stay away from. If he slips into the 50s the way Gomes did then maybe we can move up from 61 but generally I think it would be a mistake to take him

Here's one last thought.

If Ty played at BC or some random school like Iowa or North Dakota St (IN THE DANCE BABY!) or Siena or Providence College there is no way on Earth you ever hear about him.

But since he plays at UNC he'll be a late first seeing as how he was on the cover of every sports mag in America for 4 years.

Maybe he'll be good in Europe 

« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2009, 06:17:55 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830

I've seen this before. 21 year old freshman from China. Became the #3 ranked foil fencer in the country immediately. But once you're done beating up on people that aren't your own size things change.

Who was this?

« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2009, 06:36:11 PM »

Offline Thruthelookingglass

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 133
As a current student at UNC, I have the opportunity to watch Hansbrough a lot. Here are a few notes on his game that I have picked up.

1. He can not play defense AT ALL. He has no shot blocking ability and his only good for a few charges.
2. As great of an offensive force as he is, Hansbrough has no vision in the post and has a habit of forcing shots with a wide open teammate available.
3. For all the people who think he is to short to score out of the post, think again! He has this unorthodoxed one handed hook shot that is money over taller defenders.
4. Having practiced with him (I'm on the JV team), I have to say that his midrange jumper looks great and it will only get better with his insane work ethic.

So if what you're looking for is a pf who will provide scoring and hustle but no defense, then Hansbrough is your guy. I dont see him in green but would love him to go to golden state where I think he would thrive.

Many thanks for the scouting report--hope to see you here more frequently!

« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2009, 06:40:13 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
Is he transferring to Notre Dame?  I thought he was a senior, and even if he isn't he has to sit out a year.