Author Topic: Are they really making these movies?  (Read 9801 times)

Re: Are they really making these movies?
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2009, 11:58:36 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
I am pretty sure they will all be terrible. I really hate dragon ball so I don't care, actually I liked GI JOE and Street Fighter, but I really don't care about those either.

Hey why not remake something old and popular, it's way easier than actually thinking and making something new.

Kids today need to get their own stuff, I am tired of them biting off all the things I had as a kid. I know their not the ones making these things, but it's a little frustrating seeing the watered down versions of things I loved as a child.

I was all set with SF when i heard that a skinny american chick who was vaugly asian with no martial arts experiance was playing chun li over any of the many relevant asian female marital artists.

No thanks. I need it to be a good martial artist who reflects the fact that chun li is from china if you want me to see this.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2009, 12:02:58 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
I am pretty sure they will all be terrible. I really hate dragon ball so I don't care, actually I liked GI JOE and Street Fighter, but I really don't care about those either.

Hey why not remake something old and popular, it's way easier than actually thinking and making something new.

Kids today need to get their own stuff, I am tired of them biting off all the things I had as a kid. I know their not the ones making these things, but it's a little frustrating seeing the watered down versions of things I loved as a child.

I was all set with SF when i heard that a skinny american chick who was vaugly asian with no martial arts experiance was playing chun li over any of the many relevant asian female marital artists.

No thanks. I need it to be a good martial artist who reflects the fact that chun li is from china if you want me to see this.

Lelouch  The Movie.

Coming soon.

Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2009, 12:18:19 PM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 997
  • PEACE
Movies I Want to See in 2009

- Shutter Island(Ashecliffe) - Directed by Martin Scorcese. Filmed in parts of Boston and Boston Suburbs (Fairly close to me)... Starring Leonardo DiCaprio, Mark Ruffalo, and Ben Kingsley. A murderess escapes from a mental hospital and is believed to be hiding out on Shutter Island. The book was written by the same guy who wrote Gone Baby Gone and Mystic River, so this movie should be great.

- Saw VI - Not Much to say about the Saw series. Everybody generally knows the plot and the characters. I think the story line is really underrated. For some reason these movies keep getting bad ratings but I still love them.

- Taking Woodstock - I don't know much about this movie. It is about how Woodstock was put together the very first time in 1969. It isn't a documentary though so it won't be like a remastered version of "Woodstock". Emile Hirsch(Milk, Into the Wild) and Paul Dano(Little Miss Sunshine, The Girl Next Door) are both in it and are both really good actors in my opinion especially Hirsch. I love anything having to do with music and the 60's, so this should be great for me.

- Nine - Based on the Broadway Musical and the classic film 81/2, neither of which I have ever seen. With that being said I really don't know much about this movie. It's based on making a movie within a movie or something. The cast is the reason I will be seeing it. It is starring Daniel Day Lewis, Penelope Cruz, Javier Bardem, Nicole Kidman, Kate Hudson, Sophia Loren, and Judi Dench.

- The Surrogates - Some futuristic movie with robots or clones or something starring Bruce Willis. Really not the kind of movie I would enjoy. I will see it however as it was filmed like two towns away from me and I actually got to see the set where they crashed a helicopter into a building, so I would like to see that on the big screen. I doubt I will ever buy it though.

- S. Darko - A sequel to one of my favorite movies. This one will follow Samantha Darko(Donnie's younger Sister). With no Jake or Maggie Gyllenhaal this could be a horrible idea.

- 2012 - A new movie from Roland Emmerich(Godzilla, The Day After Tomorrow, Independence Day). I don't like any of his other movies but I am very interested in what he will do with the Mayan Prophecy of 2012. It could be interesting.

- Inglorious Basterds - Quentin Tarantino. Brad Pitt. World War II. Seriously, this should be great.

- Public Enemies - Gangster film with Johnny Depp and Christian Bale. The FBI in the time of J. Edgar Hoover. Could be good. Johnny Depp as a gangster or FBI agent. I'm not sure which one he'll be, but that should be interesting.

- The Birds - Remake of the Alfred Hitchcock classic starring Naomi Watts and George Clooney(rumor). One of the only old horror movies that in my honest opinion could actually be better with all the new technology we have. Having actual good actors would be helpful too.

- The Road - Post-apocalyptic movie about a boy and his father trying to survive. With Viggo Mortensen and Charlize Theron.

*I really don't know why I feel the need to make a list for everything. There should be some kind of rehab for chronic list-making.

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2009, 01:07:31 PM »

Online Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203

- Shutter Island(Ashecliffe) - Directed by Martin Scorcese. Filmed in parts of Boston and Boston Suburbs (Fairly close to me)... Starring Leonardo DiCaprio, Mark Ruffalo, and Ben Kingsley. A murderess escapes from a mental hospital and is believed to be hiding out on Shutter Island. The book was written by the same guy who wrote Gone Baby Gone and Mystic River, so this movie should be great.

- Saw VI - Not Much to say about the Saw series. Everybody generally knows the plot and the characters. I think the story line is really underrated. For some reason these movies keep getting bad ratings but I still love them.

- Taking Woodstock - I don't know much about this movie. It is about how Woodstock was put together the very first time in 1969. It isn't a documentary though so it won't be like a remastered version of "Woodstock". Emile Hirsch(Milk, Into the Wild) and Paul Dano(Little Miss Sunshine, The Girl Next Door) are both in it and are both really good actors in my opinion especially Hirsch. I love anything having to do with music and the 60's, so this should be great for me.

- Nine - Based on the Broadway Musical and the classic film 81/2, neither of which I have ever seen. With that being said I really don't know much about this movie. It's based on making a movie within a movie or something. The cast is the reason I will be seeing it. It is starring Daniel Day Lewis, Penelope Cruz, Javier Bardem, Nicole Kidman, Kate Hudson, Sophia Loren, and Judi Dench.

- The Surrogates - Some futuristic movie with robots or clones or something starring Bruce Willis. Really not the kind of movie I would enjoy. I will see it however as it was filmed like two towns away from me and I actually got to see the set where they crashed a helicopter into a building, so I would like to see that on the big screen. I doubt I will ever buy it though.

- S. Darko - A sequel to one of my favorite movies. This one will follow Samantha Darko(Donnie's younger Sister). With no Jake or Maggie Gyllenhaal this could be a horrible idea.

- 2012 - A new movie from Roland Emmerich(Godzilla, The Day After Tomorrow, Independence Day). I don't like any of his other movies but I am very interested in what he will do with the Mayan Prophecy of 2012. It could be interesting.

- Inglorious Basterds - Quentin Tarantino. Brad Pitt. World War II. Seriously, this should be great.

- Public Enemies - Gangster film with Johnny Depp and Christian Bale. The FBI in the time of J. Edgar Hoover. Could be good. Johnny Depp as a gangster or FBI agent. I'm not sure which one he'll be, but that should be interesting.

- The Birds - Remake of the Alfred Hitchcock classic starring Naomi Watts and George Clooney(rumor). One of the only old horror movies that in my honest opinion could actually be better with all the new technology we have. Having actual good actors would be helpful too.

- The Road - Post-apocalyptic movie about a boy and his father trying to survive. With Viggo Mortensen and Charlize Theron.

*I really don't know why I feel the need to make a list for everything. There should be some kind of rehab for chronic list-making.

Wow, I had never heard of these movies.  Where did you find out about these movies?  Some seem to be pretty good.  Johny Depp as a gangster, the Boston movie, a Darko sequel!  Good stuff.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2009, 03:26:53 PM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 997
  • PEACE

Wow, I had never heard of these movies.  Where did you find out about these movies?  Some seem to be pretty good.  Johny Depp as a gangster, the Boston movie, a Darko sequel!  Good stuff.

I am a self-proclaimed movie critic and DVD collector so I find out about hyped up movies early from Roger Eberts website and the Internet Movie Database which lists movies at the beginning stages of planning or scriptwriting. For instance I've known about Shutter Island since about this time last year and it's not even expected to be out until October 09. I'm mostly excited for Shutter Island(Could be an Oscar nominee, very good plot, people who have read the book loved it.), Inglorious Basterds(Could be a similar to Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs in the way its done, only it is a War movie instead of a gangster movie), Public Enemies, Saw VI, and Taking Woodstock.

Anyways, to answer your question...

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/
http://www.imdb.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:2009_films

« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2009, 02:55:33 PM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
Films like GI Joe or the Chun Li movie annoy me the most.  Don't these idiot producers understand that these were popular in the 80s/90s respectively?  Meaning their fans are probably in the 20-35 range now.  Do they want to see childish, cartoonish films with caricature actors?  They just can't seem to wise up and make the movies for the appropriate fan base, and instead make overblown "kidsaction" movies.

These movies are made because they make scads of money.  Transformers took in tons of money two summers ago.  I'll guarantee GI Joe is a top 5 box office draw in 2009.  People vote with their wallets.  Hopefully there will be a backlash to all of the these remakes/sequels in the near future, but for the meantime, these movies are what the general public want to see.

« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2009, 03:09:33 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
in a clear sign of the quality of the movie, dragon ball Z will not b screened for critics before its release according to the studio.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2009, 06:38:05 PM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
in a clear sign of the quality of the movie, dragon ball Z will not b screened for critics before its release according to the studio.

Haha more and more studios are doing this.  Buncha cowards, i tell you.

« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2009, 07:27:14 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
It's not a real Dragonball movie unless at least 20 minutes is spent on a single powerup sequence  ;)  I loved that show too, but MAN could they stretch out their material.

I'm really looking forward to "The Road" - I read the book a few months ago and really liked it (as much as you can enjoy something so bleak and depressing).  I'm not sure where Charlize Theron will come in as there aren't really any major female characters in the book. 

« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2009, 07:50:03 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
id like to see gi joe, for the simple fact my man ray park is in it!!!! 

I really hope Snake Eyes has a mojor role.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2009, 08:31:57 PM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Word aapp!
wrong thread lol

« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2009, 08:33:07 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
wrong thread lol

Haha - was wondering if you'd missed the "i" in "movies".

« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2009, 08:38:22 PM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Word aapp!
wrong thread lol

Haha - was wondering if you'd missed the "i" in "movies".

And I was hoping no one noticed haha

« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2009, 08:40:07 PM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
I recently worked for Hasbro in an internship and we viewed some of the GI Joe movie. It was a making of/extended trailer sort of thing and I can tell you the action looks awesome. Beyond that though you have to understand the marketing strategy for movies like this and the Transformers movies. Hasbro has a HUGE stake in them and they will always be cartoonish in nature because well...theyre based on toys and cartoons. Half the reason they are made is to sell the toys. The other half is to make crap loads of money for the studios.

« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2009, 08:49:28 PM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
Films like GI Joe or the Chun Li movie annoy me the most.  Don't these idiot producers understand that these were popular in the 80s/90s respectively?  Meaning their fans are probably in the 20-35 range now.  Do they want to see childish, cartoonish films with caricature actors?  They just can't seem to wise up and make the movies for the appropriate fan base, and instead make overblown "kidsaction" movies.

Thats just the thing...the Transformers were popular during that time as well. The movie came out and all of a sudden the Toys were relevant and selling again and  a new animated series came out. I am willing to bet the GI Joe movie will introduce the whole idea to a new generation so even more money can be made. And by the way...this is a good thing. Hasbro needs some help during this craptastic recession so that they can begin hiring again and give me a job. So help me out people!