Author Topic: Ray's place in the Big Three  (Read 6823 times)

Ray's place in the Big Three
« on: March 08, 2009, 05:27:12 PM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
First of all, I just want to say that my goal is not to start a polemic thread! I just want to know what you're thinking about this subject : is Ray as popular as Pierce and Garnett are with the fans? And is he considered as important as they are in the team, talking of his role and his impact?

Ray Allen is my favourite player in this team and maybe I'm overreacting because I'm a fan of him. But I've always thought that he gets less recognition than Pierce and Garnett overall, by the media and by the fans.

Moreover, in postgame conferences and all this stuff, I'm surprised to see that, about 90% of the time, it's only Pierce and Garnett who are interviewed. Ray isn't even in the room. He wasn't selected for the ASG last year and this year, he was only there thanks to others players' injuries though he clearly deserved to be an All-Star.

Again, I insist that I'm not doing a "Ray-Ray fan cry baby" thread or a criticism of Pierce and Garnett for "stealing the show". It's not something that bothers me, but just something that has caught my attention, since last year. I just wonder what you guys think about this. Is Ray's humility the explication for the fact that he is so discrete overall and maybe a little bit overlooked by the media? Sometimes I've the impression that there is a "Big Two" in Boston and that Ray is just a good "support" player.

Anyway, though the C's lost against Orlando today Ray was just spectacular and showed how great he is when it's time to put the load on his shoulders. His comeback was really impressive (I think he had more than 17 points in the fourth quarter), though he missed the tying shot. I'm always impressed by Ray's professionalism, his hard work, his physical ethic, his beautiful shoot and the way he can score like 30 points while being discrete... and I clearly admire the fact that he stays humble, he is very classy. I really enjoy see him play, and it's a pleasure to seet that Ray is better than last year thanks to his healthy ankles.

I hope my thread can lead to a interesting discussion!  :)

Re: Ray's place in the Big Three
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 05:31:20 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I love Ray, and think he's every bit as important to the team as KG, Pierce, or Rondo.  I get the impression that a lot of fans would place him as the 4th most important of our players, though.

Ray has been fantastic this year.  He's arguably having the most consistent season of anybody on the team, and is having the most efficient year of his career this season.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 05:35:09 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3768
  • Yup
Ray is awesome!

But, yeh, he definitely falls 3rd or 4th fiddle in the overall popularity rankings. 

I have a hard time picking favorites on this team, but I sure enjoy the heck out of watching Ray play.
Yup

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 05:35:34 PM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
I love Ray, and think he's every bit as important to the team as KG, Pierce, or Rondo.  I get the impression that a lot of fans would place him as the 4th most important of our players, though.

Ray has been fantastic this year.  He's arguably having the most consistent season of anybody on the team, and is having the most efficient year of his career this season.

Well, you've resumed my thoughts in a few words, TP for that!

I've also forgotten to mention that the numerous "trade Ray-Ray in 2010" threads made me think that he is less than a 4th option for some fans.

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2009, 05:37:35 PM »

Offline TatteredOnMySleeve

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
The big 3 and rondo, better yet the big 4 are all equally important to the celtics, and its hard to pick a favorite

I love ray allen, how could you not?
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2009, 05:39:03 PM »

Offline Tai

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 32
Man, there's probably some games the Celtics don't win if Ray doesn't go off the way he does, sometimes. Heck, he almost won today's game for us, too!

As far as I see, the real Celtic fans know that Ray is part of the Big 3, national media be [dang]ed. Although, to national media's credit, they do respect Rondo. Still, we know what's up with Ray here in New England. :)

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2009, 05:43:40 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
The reason the big three is called the big three is their ability to work together as a team and not rank them.

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2009, 05:44:24 PM »

Offline Hoyo de Monterrey

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 669
The reason the big three is called the big three is their ability to work together as a team and not rank them.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. Unlike your McDonald's commercial post.  ;D
"Let me call him," Floyd said.

The man shook his head. "O.J. doesn't give out his cell," he said. "He'll call you."

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2009, 05:46:12 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
I for one love Ray. He is more efficient player than pierce, but pierce is CLUTCH! What makes Ray great is also what makes him invisible. He is not vocal & rarely is confrontational. I believe its Pierce's duty to incorporate Ray more in the game, especially when he is HOT. And Doc needs to calls his # more in late game situations not just for a 3point shot.

Not bashing Pierce. But Ray is quicker, better shooter, and less TurnOver prone. Maybe its fatigue, Pierce looked lost today.

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2009, 05:47:40 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
I really believe people who even mention "trade" and "Ray" in the same sentence are either young fans who don't realize his value or fans who are trade happy due to their involvement in Fantasy Basketball, who have no idea the ramifications of (any) trade on the chemistry of a team.  Ray is a "glue" guy...quietly efficient...who makes the rest of the team look good.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2009, 05:48:40 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Ray has done something harder then anything else the rest of the players have done.  Something so hard, very few players of Ray's status and talent have been able to do.

He has taken a back seat to Pierce and KG in terms of touches and leadership.  A back seat in terms of recognition.  

And he has never complained.  He has embraced the roll and has made this team better.

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2009, 05:53:13 PM »

Offline illantari

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 112
Ray Ray love fest!  Count me in!

The Big Three are equals in my mind (with slight edge on a game by game basis to whoever decides to take over), and they compliment each other almost perfectly because each has their own style/method that all are willing to mesh together for the good of the team.  That said, the trade Ray Allen threads also drive me crazy.  You'd never trade PP, and I'd wonder how many would trade KG in 3 years, so maybe they're not so equal in people's minds after all.  

I think the one thing we sometimes do is take our big 3 (4?) for granted a little bit.  We've been spoiled by this year and last, and don't always appreciate exactly what it is we have.  I know I've definitely had games where I'm like: "what, Rondo was 14-8-8?  That's such an average line!  Did he at least shoot like 65%?"  

And then I go: wait, what?  So every once in a while I have to jump in on an appreciation thread and remind myself of how lucky we are!

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2009, 05:53:30 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Ray has done something harder then anything else the rest of the players have done.  Something so hard, very few players of Ray's status and talent have been able to do.

He has taken a back seat to Pierce and KG in terms of touches and leadership.  A back seat in terms of recognition.  

And he has never complained.  He has embraced the roll and has made this team better.
I really believe people who even mention "trade" and "Ray" in the same sentence are either young fans who don't realize his value or fans who are trade happy due to their involvement in Fantasy Basketball, who have no idea the ramifications of (any) trade on the chemistry of a team.  Ray is a "glue" guy...quietly efficient...who makes the rest of the team look good.
tommy points abound
smart points AND you agree with me  ;D

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2009, 05:55:19 PM »

Offline twinbree

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 170
I love Ray Ray. He's an integral member of the Big 3 and I'm sure the team realizes his value. But I think his problem is that well he's Ray Allen. Everyone expects him to be shooting lights out, making his free throws and throwing daggers out there. At least that's why I think he wasn't voted in by the coaches even though he's having a fantastic season. 
Tommy: He's got a line about me. Tell him the line.

Mike: Everybody 60 or over knows Tommy as a player. Everybody 40 or over knows Tommy as a coach. Everybody 20 or over knows Tommy as a broadcaster. And everybody 10 or under thinks he's Shrek.

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2009, 05:57:25 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
well right now he's part of the big 2...