Author Topic: LeBron and HGH  (Read 36736 times)

Re: LeBron and HGH
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2009, 01:21:43 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
I dont know much about HGH, but for the accusations of using steroids, I dont see it.

Basketball is one sport where I dont think any extended use of steroids would be beneficial.   Obviously Lebron could have used steroids to get as big as he is, but to play a sport like basketball I would think it would make him highly injury prone.  It's easy in baseball when all you have to do is stand and swing and run side to side to field balls, but basketball the constant back and forth, sprinting, changing direction, and collision, I just cant see a player being able to stay healthy.  Not to mention the abuse Lebron takes constantly driving to the basket and getting fouled.

Sorry, I just dont see it.  However to answer the OPs original comment, No I would not be suprised if I found out Lebron was on roids or HGH, and it has nothing to do with Lebron, its just the fact that there isnt one player out there now that would suprise me if caught.
Greg

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2009, 01:23:40 PM »

Offline steve

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 79
there is no way he would still  be using PEDS after all the media attention in other sports.  

Say Lebron is taking some black market drug that the NBA doesn't test for, hence its not illegal, then they catch on and Lebron stops taking it and finds something else that isn't tested for.  Is this in your mind considered cheating?

I'm just using Lebron as an example.  I really hope he isn't doing anything unnatural, cause I think he is a great face for the NBA.  He's like Jeter, you want to hate him but he does everything right and respects the game.

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2009, 01:24:37 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
he would have had to have started back in high school because he's been ripped since then

I think he's just one of those natural freaks of nature
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2009, 01:43:20 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
There is no way to know one way or the other.

So until there is evidence, best to give him the benefit of the doubt

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2009, 02:08:20 PM »

Offline markketch

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 16
LeBron played in the Olympic team, which undergoes drug testing repeatedly by the IOC (or whatever it's called).  If he was using, they would have found it.

The guy always has been, and always will be, a freak of nature.

This speculation is just flat out silly.

« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2009, 02:13:32 PM »

Offline Brendan

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 72
I believe it. Once you get jacked, you don't need to be on HGH anymore, benefits achieved.

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2009, 02:36:01 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
The idea that basketball players wouldn't benefit from PEDs as much as other sports doesn't make sense. If drugs can help a player heal faster or maintain strength while spending less time doing strength training during the season, then it has a big benefit. Even sprinters can gain benefits from PEDs.

I find it hard to believe LeBron was able to bulk up the way he did in HS without PEDs, considering he was also growing taller at the same time. So many "freaks of nature" turn out to be freaks of medications. But I really don't care. I will give LeBron the benefit of the doubt though. Even if he used PEDs, I'm really not bothered by it, especially PEDs that don't have serious side effects if used wisely.

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2009, 03:07:32 PM »

Offline rickyfan3.0...

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 110
I was thinking the SAME thing when I saw his jowels...It looked like it was swelled out.

I am actually prettys ure he is on it. Why wouldn't he be?

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2009, 03:10:25 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
The Olympic comment is an interesting point; however, do they test for HGH?  My understanding is that steroids are pretty easy to detect, but HGH is nearly impossible.  Do they test for that too?

And again, I'm not saying he's on it, but for those that are so skeptical that it could be possible, wouldn't you have been equally as skeptical about Alex Rodriguez two months ago? 

« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2009, 03:24:00 PM »

Offline ToppersBsktball10

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 27
  • Smooth As Silk.
his skull was like that at SVSM and everyone in the NBA is ripped

« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2009, 03:26:38 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
scalabrine must be on pizza...
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2009, 03:30:15 PM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
The Olympic comment is an interesting point; however, do they test for HGH?  My understanding is that steroids are pretty easy to detect, but HGH is nearly impossible.  Do they test for that too?

And again, I'm not saying he's on it, but for those that are so skeptical that it could be possible, wouldn't you have been equally as skeptical about Alex Rodriguez two months ago? 

The Olympics would be considered on the top level in steroid detection since there is a lot of funding towards it, but they're still behind the stuff that is out there.  It is increasingly hard to detect specific hormones or chemicals in the body, especially when these are naturally made chemicals in our body, like HGH does.  Basically, how can you tell if a person has an elevated level of x hormone just naturally has higher dose or is it unnatural?  It's just really tough.

Also, I know that in Track AIFC they are at the highest level.  I don't know if the same tests are done for other sports or if it's the same.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2009, 04:07:08 PM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg
he would have had to have started back in high school because he's been ripped since then

I think he's just one of those natural freaks of nature

Me too. If he was using PED's, he would be a lot more injury prone. The guy does not miss games. I think he's pretty dedicated and does a lot of working out and conditioning. His body structure and chemistry is just the way it is.
Grab a few boards, keep the TO's under 14, close out on shooters and we'll win.

« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2009, 04:37:58 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
Wdleehi,

We can give Lebron the same "benefit of the doubt" as many did to A-rod.  Don't be real shocked and dismayed IF LJ soon tests positive for either steroids or HGH.  You simply do NOT get that big naturally.  I have been lifting for about the last four to five years, and you just don't look like Lebron, despite regular lifting, a high protein/low fat diet, and multiple other "natural" supplements.  It just does NOT happen guys.  Sorry if I have destroyed anyone's hero!!

As to testing positive in the Olympics.  That would be simple to get around.  You don't take HGH or "roids" for a certain amount of time prior to going.  I am sure that LJ can afford a doc that could tell him the timeframe for it to be out of his system.

Get real guys.  There ARE steroids being used in the NBA.

Smitty77

« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2009, 05:13:11 PM »

Offline Hoops

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 5
I don't want to pile on, but I find this topic extremely interesting. I thought about LeBron and steroids last night myself but for different reasons. During that play of the game where LeBron picked Rondo on the break and Rondo got bounced on the floor, Hubie Brown made an interesting comment. He said when you're upwards of 275 pounds and 3-4% body fat, running into him would feel like running into a wall.

It reminded me of a recent conversation I had with a guy who is an absolute workout freak - he uses basic over the counter supplements and he's as strong as an ox. But he's not ripped in the same way a steroids guy is. He said you just don't huge like an A-Rod or Bonds without ultra-low body fat naturally. Now I'll be the first to take that message with a grain of salt - I'm sure there are people who can get ripped with low body fat naturally. But Hubie's comment made me think for the first time whether it was actually possible that LeBron uses something.

A couple of other thoughts:

1. I find it interesting that so many people are in denial about the prospect of using steroids in basketball. Unless there is an actual steroids expert out there, I'm not sure how you can suggest that steroids wouldn't be beneficial to a basketball player.

2. Maybe some CB member could compile a montage of photos of LeBron for each year since he was a high school senior. Similar montages of Bonds et al. make it pretty clear there's some unnatural growth going on.

3. At the end of the day, I don't think LeBron is using. I hold out hope that the NBA is above steroids. But at the same time, like others have said, if I were to pick one player in the NBA that uses steroids, it would probably have to be LeBron.