Author Topic: Deron Williams > Chris Paul  (Read 20358 times)

Re: Deron Williams > Chris Paul
« Reply #60 on: March 09, 2009, 06:07:52 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Deron Williams is to Chris Paul, what Tracy McGrady was to Kobe Bryant

well said.

actually
Deron is to CP
what Kidd is to Iverson
and I pick kidd every day of the week and 4 times on weekends

Okay. Now I'm really confused. Maybe too much exaggerating by all parties?

ok
dw is to cp
Pinky is to brain
abott to costello
lorel to hardy
randy orton to hhh
the rock is to stone cold
menudo is to metallica

this trying just to keep u Un confused  ;D

Salmon is to Potatoes?
Green is to potential?

exactly u get it perfectly

scal is to intangibles

Doc is to the caveman.

(or is it"the caveman is to Doc"?  I can never remember.)

« Reply #61 on: March 09, 2009, 07:21:05 PM »

Offline vegas scott

• JD Davison
  • Tommy Points: 1
its not even close...

which is why I suspect you didn't even attempt to make an argument.

It's not even close?  Looking at how Utah is playing and the numbers William's is putting up right now, it's definitely close.  With that said, Paul is the better player, but it's really close.

« Reply #62 on: March 09, 2009, 07:58:55 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I just read a Charley Rosen article on foxsports.com in which he compares the two players.  He thinks Williams is the better player now and he says he will certainly have a better career due to his size and strength. I'm not sure I agree with him about Williams being better now, but its interesting that a case can be made for Williams.

« Reply #63 on: March 09, 2009, 09:11:00 PM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg
Chris Paul dribbles the ball for 15 seconds and then either passes or shoots.

The Hornets get like 19 assists a game, and Chris Paul will get 15 of them, because he dominates the ball all game.

His stats make him look better than he really is.

So yes, Deron > Paul
Grab a few boards, keep the TO's under 14, close out on shooters and we'll win.

« Reply #64 on: March 09, 2009, 11:06:32 PM »

Offline OmarSekou

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 93
How can you not take CP3? He's pretty unstoppable on offense (he can create for himself or anyone on his team at will), has excellent decision making on both sides of the ball (that's why his team wants him to always control the ball), and has a great sense for the flow of the game.

He may be smaller and weaker, but he is also significantly quicker. Any comments that he's a me first player and has to dominate the ball to be effective are ridiculous. He doesn't have AI's mentality. He looked pretty unselfish last Summer and I'm sure he could adapt to any system.

DWill was plugged into a system he was handpicked for. He's a great player for sure, but he lacks the special quality CP3 has right now, and has accomplished less with more talent around him (Utah might be the deepest team in the league and certainly had a better system in place when both arrived).

The better player is Chris Paul. The better player for Utah might have been DWill, but he's just not playing at CP3s level right now as an individual player. Unless Utah wins some titles this shouldn't even be a discussion.
"Suit up every day."

« Reply #65 on: March 10, 2009, 09:27:21 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Unless Utah New Orleans wins some titles this shouldn't even be a discussion.
Neither of them has done more than the other in the playoffs, even if one had that is a poor rubric for comparing them. Championships are about the team.

I'm not sure what Chris Paul you're watching, but he does dominate the ball. That may be what his team wants and needs him to do, but it is not pretty PG play. And probably won't be championship level play. I hope you're right that when the Hornets get a talented enough team to win a title that CP3 can adapt.

The example that comes to mind is when the C's played NOs the Hornets announcers were raving about CP3's offense on a possession where he literally dribbled it around 3 picks and then took a 20 foot jump shot as the shot clock went down. Then the next two possessions he just dribbled around the perimeter for 15 seconds and took more jump shot. He made them all, but it wasn't good offense. There was zero ball movement.

« Reply #66 on: March 10, 2009, 10:51:10 AM »

Offline Rida

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 86
Both are superb pgs both top 3 in the NBA in my opinion.

But Deron is not better than CP3.

« Reply #67 on: March 11, 2009, 04:44:50 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
Again, the two are just on a different scale. Both are very good, but Paul is entering the discussion for best in the league and best point guard ever; Williams is a class below both of those.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=hollinger_john&page=PERDiem-090311

« Reply #68 on: March 11, 2009, 05:09:15 PM »

Offline kenmaine

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 25
  • Boston 104, New York 59
Bah, I am going for it:

1. Rondo

2. CP3

3. Deron

4-99999. Everyone else

haha yes I love it! Rondo, best Point Guard in the LEAGUE!

but no really chris paul is better.

Switch #1 and #2 and I agree. I love Rondo, but Chris Paul is really the best. Williams looks a bit overrated to me in the games I've seen, but still very, very good.

« Reply #69 on: March 11, 2009, 05:24:11 PM »

Offline Quinn

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 28
Bah, I am going for it:

1. Rondo

2. CP3

3. Deron

4-99999. Everyone else

Switch #1 and #2 and I agree. I love Rondo, but Chris Paul is really the best. Williams looks a bit overrated to me in the games I've seen, but still very, very good.
I guess Nash is washed up. Nash is still imo the best pg in the league, although as he's old and about to die (jk) its getting closer.
Practice? Whatchu talkin about practice?

« Reply #70 on: March 11, 2009, 05:54:56 PM »

Offline kenmaine

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 25
  • Boston 104, New York 59
Bah, I am going for it:

1. Rondo

2. CP3

3. Deron

4-99999. Everyone else

I guess Nash is washed up. Nash is still imo the best pg in the league, although as he's old and about to die (jk) its getting closer.

Well, I don't know if Nash is washed up, but he certainly looks like it when they play the C's.

« Reply #71 on: March 12, 2009, 01:32:23 PM »

Offline hoopaddict08

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 8
If I had to chose between the two, I would chose Williams. I've always felt that way, and it's mostly due to his size and strength. Chris Paul will give you slightly better stats, but he is a lot easier to slow down if you put a stronger defender on him than it would be to slow down Deron. I don't believe there is a big gap between the two, but after Paul and Williams there is a huge gap.

« Reply #72 on: March 12, 2009, 02:30:03 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Chris Paul dribbles the ball for 15 seconds and then either passes or shoots.

The Hornets get like 19 assists a game, and Chris Paul will get 15 of them, because he dominates the ball all game.

His stats make him look better than he really is.

So yes, Deron > Paul

That's a stat those who say Paul is on a different level should look: % of team assists. Although the ideal would be to watch a few games from both teams, forget the stats for a minute and understand how different are both systems - and how much that impacts the stats they put so much faith on. 

« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 02:43:53 PM by cordobes »