Author Topic: Deron Williams > Chris Paul  (Read 20300 times)

Deron Williams > Chris Paul
« on: March 06, 2009, 05:42:41 PM »

Offline NextCeltic34

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
Am I in the miniority here?

Re: Deron Williams > Chris Paul
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 05:45:55 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Most likely.

I think Deron is on the more talented and better coached team. 

I think Paul is more talented.

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 05:46:15 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 05:52:54 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
One is a majority if he is right.

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2009, 06:14:05 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
its not even close...

which is why I suspect you didn't even attempt to make an argument.

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009, 06:15:43 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Deron is a heck of a point guard, but I think CP3 is on a tier all his own.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2009, 06:18:49 PM »

Offline PRIDE

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 41
CP3 is in his own league...but like Mike Gorman doesn't like Melo, I don't like Chris Paul. Every time I watch him play he has a sour look on his face and he's crying to the refs. If I'm picking between players on the school yard I'm taking Deron Williams EVERY TIME.

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2009, 06:32:08 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
No way. CP3 will dominate the point guard position for years to come. Deron will always be overshadowed by Paul.

But he is the 2nd best PG in the league for sure.

1. Chris Paul

2. Deron Williams

3. Everybody else
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2009, 06:37:28 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
wrong.

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2009, 06:50:10 PM »

Offline illantari

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 112
In one respect:  In head to head matchups, I have more confidence in R2's ability to outplay Chris Paul than his ability to outplay a healthy Deron Williams.  Otherwise I'm going to have to go with CP3.

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2009, 06:59:09 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
Bah, I am going for it:

1. Rondo

2. CP3

3. Deron

4-99999. Everyone else

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2009, 07:05:56 PM »

Offline earl

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 14
I'm with you NextCeltic. CP3 may be the more talented player/PG, but if I'm building a playoff team out of the entire league, I'll take D. Will as my PG.

CP3 may win the skills competition every time, but D. Will is bigger, stronger, tougher (physically and mentally) and a better defender. If we're talking building a team, I'll take those qualities and give you CP3's speed and offensive edge all day long.

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2009, 07:12:54 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.
I think Chris Paul is better.... but the gap between the two is A LOT smaller than people generally realize, in my opinion.

Right now I have them at #'s 6 and 7 in my MVP race.

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2009, 07:29:30 PM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
A team in the NBA only needs a solid point guard to win a championship. There is little need for having a great player at the point. Here's my reasoning, Name me a team that won the championship that had a point guard as its best player. You have to go back to Isiah's Pistons. Having point guards who take a lot of shots and dribble the air out of the ball doesn't work. All you need to win is a John Paxson, Kenny Smith, Ron Harper, Avery Johnson, Derek Fisher, Jay Williams, or Rajon Rondo. The only all star level talent point guard who won recently was Tony Parker, and he was no where near being the best player on his team. There are other franshise players who are bigger, stronger, and faster than Chris Paul. Thus, they play the game more efficiently. These are the guys you want to build your team around.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 07:38:31 PM by KungPoweChicken »

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2009, 07:39:43 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
I'm with you NextCeltic. CP3 may be the more talented player/PG, but if I'm building a playoff team out of the entire league, I'll take D. Will as my PG.

CP3 may win the skills competition every time, but D. Will is bigger, stronger, tougher (physically and mentally) and a better defender. If we're talking building a team, I'll take those qualities and give you CP3's speed and offensive edge all day long.

So what if Williams is bigger, stronger and tougher? These are qualities that help williams be ALMOST as good as Paul. Yes, if you could give 2 players the exact same speed, shot, skill, etc., but make one of them bigger and stronger, he would be a better player. However, Paul is better than Williams AFTER size is taken into account! Williams and Paul are NOT evenly skilled players with Williams' size tipping it in his favor; rather, Paul is a significantly more talented player while Williams' size and strength helps get him closer to Paul than he would be if the two were the same size as each other but still had their individual skillsets.

Paul is a better scorer, better passer, better rebounder than williams. i think they are different types of defender, but both are very good defenders.

Williams plays for a hall of fame coach and an incredibly deep and talented team; far superior to Paul's surrounding cast.

there's a reason that Paul has consistently posted a PER about 9 POINTS higher than Williams this year and last. That's a HUGE difference, and would pretty much cancel out any difference in defense...except both are about equal on defense. Clearly Paul is the better player, and is in the discussion with Howard and Lebron as prime players to build around. Williams is clearly a notch below.