Author Topic: Helping us catch and pass the Cavs and Lakers  (Read 3258 times)

Helping us catch and pass the Cavs and Lakers
« on: March 05, 2009, 02:08:24 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
Besides the Celtics (facing the Cavs 2 more times), is there anyone else that can assist us in catching and ultimately passing the Cavs and Lakers for overall home court?

A lot has been said on here about the absense of KG meaning that we are all but assured of missing out.  However, that line of thought pretty much assumes that no one else is going to assist.

I see it like this, in the east you have the Celtics, Cavs, Magic and maybe the Hawks/Heat who are capable of beating anyone on any given night.  In the west, you pretty much have the Lakers and Spurs and then everyone else.  While out west there is the possibility of a let down against the Suns, Nuggets, Jazz, Trailblazers, etc., I just don't see us getting a ton of help.  Most teams seem to play both the Cavs and Lakers scared.  Thoughts?

Re: Helping us catch and pass the Cavs and Lakers
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 02:14:47 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
Who cares about helping us. Lets get the job done and focus on ourselves. If we show any of the form we showed in the latter stages of the playoffs last year I'm confident we'll repeat.

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 02:34:11 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
Who cares about helping us. Lets get the job done and focus on ourselves. If we show any of the form we showed in the latter stages of the playoffs last year I'm confident we'll repeat.
Very positive attitude.  TP for you.

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 02:38:41 PM »

Offline JAM

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 12
With all the injuries, I don't expect the Celtics to have a better record than either the Cavs or Lakers.  The Cavs are playing very well.  The Lakers are playing well and there are too many teams in the West who really stink.  Everytime I look up the Lakers are playing Memphis & Minny.

The C's are exhausted they've been sprinting since KG was signed in August 07.  As a result they have moment/stretches where they just bottom out.  I think they need to take the foot of the gas, and just get ready for the playoffs. 

I'd like the #2 seed in the East, more than the #3, but I'm confident that they can beat Orlando in the 2nd round on the road (if they have to). Also, homecourt against the West would be nice, but not essential.  I think they can get it done on the road.  The only real homecourt obstacle is Cleveland, and unless LBJ goes down we can't catch them this season, and maybe we shouldn't be trying. 

I'd rather get everyone healthy, teach the new guys the system, integrate Walker a bit more, and avoid Atlanta in the 2nd round.  I think the Hawks would give the Cetlics no end of trouble this season.  I believe we'd still beat them, but the physical cost would be too high rolling into a Cleveland series.  Let Cleveland and Atlanta duel, and we can face a tough, but very beatable Magic - we just match up better with Orlando.

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 03:26:27 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Here's a look at the schedule through the rest of the season:

Counting tomorrow night's game, Cleveland plays 4 of their next 5 on the road (3 games out west vs. Sacto, Clips, and Suns), then 8 of 9 at home to close out March. For April, it's 4 games on the road (Washington, Orlando, Philly, and Indiana), and 4 at home (Spurs, Wizards, Celtics, and Sixers). That's a favorable split of 13 home games vs. 9 away.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/teams/schedule?team=cle

After the home games vs. Cleveland and Orlando, Boston plays 7 road games (including one in San Antonio) vs. 4 home games through the rest of March. For April, only two road games (Cleveland and Philly), with the remaining 5 at home. That's a home/road split of 11 to 9.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/teams/schedule?team=bos

I think it'll be close, given that Cleveland has two fewer losses, and two more home games compared to the Celtics. Maybe we'll get some help from the opponents the Cavs will host: Miami, Orlando, Dallas, Detroit, and San Antonio all should put up a fight.

The April 12th matchup in Cleveland may have HCA implications. Here's hoping we're at full strength by then.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 10:10:32 PM »

Offline cornbreadsmart

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106
i'd love to see pierce get a couple games off late in the season. maybe ray too. it's not a luxury we have and it's probably not realistic because coaches have to worry about their jobs and media reaction to this kinda decision if it doesn't work out. i'd love to see it though. i've kinda conceded homcourt thru ought the playoffs already in my mind. it CAN'T be the most important thing with our guys. they really do look VERY tired sometimes.

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2009, 10:14:45 PM »

Offline Scalablob990

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 83
  • The REAL Pau Gasol
Have Doc bite the bullet a week or two before the playoffs (if we know we're losing HCA) and rest the starters a few games. Unleash Starbury (enough of this pass first trash) the man if he plays his normal ball knows how to put up points and pass. Have Mikki know our style of D, then finish it off with a prayer and weather through the HCA of the Cavs and Lakers. We can do this.
True Celtic = Leon Powe

Bring back the show!!!!

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2009, 07:59:29 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
If HCA is attainable against Cle then I think they need to push for it.  Game 7 in Cle would be a nightmare with 5 on 8. 
If HCA looks lost and we're destined for the 2 seed, get PP and Ray some much needed rest before the playoffs--preferably the last couple of weeks, get KG back in game shape (hopefully TA too), get the M&M boys in sync with the rest of the team and if possible, give Walker (and maybe Giddens/Pruitt) more PT now in case they need to get in a game and not look shellshocked. 

Hopefully going into the last couple of games Doc can get his playoff rotations straightened out and have a smooth-operating unit ready for the playoffs.

I expect they'll come out in the first round far more intense than last year and look to put their opponent away early.