Author Topic: Cavs (48-12) at Celtics (48-14) 3/6  (Read 89105 times)

Re: Cavs (48-12) at Celtics (48-14) 3/6
« Reply #435 on: March 07, 2009, 12:02:57 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Watching the recap of the game at halftime of Utah-Denver - surprise, surprise the commentators "forgot" to mention LeBron shooting 5-15 or the 38-12 FT disparity.  My guess is they'll "forget" to mention it on SportsCenter too.  Great mea culpa by Jon Barry though, at least some people appreciate how thoroughly we dominated this game.

« Reply #436 on: March 07, 2009, 12:19:48 AM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11842
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
Did they really shoot 38 free throws to 12 for the Celtics????  I don't think I have ever seen the free throws that one sided before.   

I think Leon Powe gets more out of his minutes than anyone else in the league.  Leon and Perk were huge in this game on both ends of the court. 

Awesome win tonight. 

« Reply #437 on: March 07, 2009, 01:14:48 AM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg
Outstanding effort tonight, and what a job by the Captain, Leon, and the rest of the Celtis. They overcame RIDICULOUS odds and pulled off an 11 point victory.

I was at the game; it was some of the most one-sided reffing ever. I also noticed when I came home and watched the last few minutes on my DVR that the media was commenting an unusually large amount on the officiating. The eyes of 18,000 fans and the boston media are all somewhat biased, but there are plenty of people who don't like to blame the officials... you couldn't avoid it tonight, it was so obvious.

The C's were also missing SOMEONE important... I forget who, though. Whatever, apparently he helps the defense, but that player obviously isn't important we just beat "the best team" without him.

Cleveland IS a good team. A *good* team, not a great one. We're great. We have a ring. We won the game to open the season and set the pace, then they won during the dog days of january, and then tonight, we won the third matchup as we make our way into the final stretch. We're better.

And by the way,

I don't care who you are, our frontcourt is deeper.
Grab a few boards, keep the TO's under 14, close out on shooters and we'll win.

« Reply #438 on: March 07, 2009, 02:09:46 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 731
You know what I also love, pretty much how the uniforms haven't changed.  Besides the 3rd team color option jerseys, they're still the same green and white.
[/quote]

yep, i love the traditional uniforms too - don't even mind the black-trimmed road suit either because of the throwback "BOSTON" lettering across the front.

i hope they don't ever give in to today's pervasive desire for "cool" uniforms that would have the modern cut to the jersey and some crazy piping down the side. now, if we could just rescind the celtic dancers team and tone down the PA guy at the garden along with that idiotic pre-game light show - i'd be a very content celtic.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #439 on: March 07, 2009, 02:55:09 AM »

Offline twinbree

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 170
Just catching the repeat on ESPN. Complete overreaction by Cavs on the flagrant. They stepped over Sideshow without even checking to see if he was okay to go and jaw at Big Baby. The concern for their teammate is touching  ::). Stay classy guys
Tommy: He's got a line about me. Tell him the line.

Mike: Everybody 60 or over knows Tommy as a player. Everybody 40 or over knows Tommy as a coach. Everybody 20 or over knows Tommy as a broadcaster. And everybody 10 or under thinks he's Shrek.

« Reply #440 on: March 07, 2009, 04:48:00 AM »

Offline Tai

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 32
Just catching the repeat on ESPN. Complete overreaction by Cavs on the flagrant. They stepped over Sideshow without even checking to see if he was okay to go and jaw at Big Baby. The concern for their teammate is touching  ::). Stay classy guys

TP for this. XD Pretty much my thoughts on that.

Anyways, one of the doubts I had in this game was if our defense could step up without KG there. I felt like if we could defend the Lebrons, the offense would take care of itself. Our games against the Suns and Nuggets told me we still have more than enough offense without KG. Hell, so did the Pistons and Clippers games, until, you know, our defense fell apart in the 4th quarter.  ::)

Interestingly enough, we limit the Cavs to 19 points in the 1st quarter, and we win every quarter but the 2nd, which was tied.

It's hard for me to make uber deep notes at 4:30 AM, but I'll try.

-If it hasn't been said a thousand times by everyone, ESPN and here, our bigs dominated the paint this game, and this pretty much was the difference. The Celtics scored 58 points from the paint, and like Lebron said, when you give up that many points in the paint for a game, it's 90% likely you'll lose.

-Woah, Powe! Way to step it up in a big game! In only 26 minutes, he got a double-double with 20 points and 11 rebounds! He had the best +/- of anyone that game with +16!

-Way to shut down Lebron. You know what they all said; Lebron would go off, get 40 or some awe-inducing amount of points, and he only got 21 on 5-15 shooting. Any Cavs fan can sit here and say "aberration" all week long, but I already said why the C's really won this game, and Lebron could do nothing to stop it.

-Turnovers, or lack of! For a team that's 4th in the league in turnovers at 15.8, it's refreshing to see them only commit 8, especially for a big game. OH yeah, and that includes Assist/turnover ratio: they were able to get 31 assists to the Cavs' 17. That's at least a ratio of 3. Simply marvelous.

Overall, the C's made Sports America remember why they're the defending champions, and quite frankly, I hope they never forget it, heh. : )

« Reply #441 on: March 07, 2009, 08:35:52 AM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
Sorry guys but if you watch the replay you see that Z tripped over sideshow. He was definitely going to go and get in his face, but the contact was initially caused from him getting his feet caught up.

I also have to disagree with many on here that the flagrant 2 wasn't warranted. BBD started trying to get ball with the hard foul, but after he clotheslined him instead, he pulled down harder and flung him to the ground even following through with the throw down with his arms. Had that been one of our guys we would have all been calling for it. There was no need once he caught him around the neck and shoulders to slam him down like that. Yes Sideshow over-reacted. Yes I'd like to slam him like that myself. It was a dumb play by BBD though as he switched momentum there for awhile and took himself out of the game. He was playing very well prior to that. He needs to be smarter.

« Reply #442 on: March 07, 2009, 08:40:33 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Sorry guys but if you watch the replay you see that Z tripped over sideshow. He was definitely going to go and get in his face, but the contact was initially caused from him getting his feet caught up.

I also have to disagree with many on here that the flagrant 2 wasn't warranted. BBD started trying to get ball with the hard foul, but after he clotheslined him instead, he pulled down harder and flung him to the ground even following through with the throw down with his arms. Had that been one of our guys we would have all been calling for it. There was no need once he caught him around the neck and shoulders to slam him down like that. Yes Sideshow over-reacted. Yes I'd like to slam him like that myself. It was a dumb play by BBD though as he switched momentum there for awhile and took himself out of the game. He was playing very well prior to that. He needs to be smarter.

I am shocked -- shocked! -- that you would find fault in something BBD did. ;)

Varejao brought the ball down to his waist on a pump.  BBD went over the back, went for the ball, and got the ball.  He didn't swipe at his head -- he got the ball.  If BBD was 75 pounds lighter, that's not even a flagrant, much less an ejection. 

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #443 on: March 07, 2009, 08:50:17 AM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 656
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Sideshow Bob is one of the biggest floppers in the league...was it a hard foul?? yes....but baby went right after the ball over AV's back....i think that whole stunt was cleveland trying to be tough.....i certainly like the unecessary pick james set on rondo when the ball was way past him...that to me was a bit cheap....but the 38-12 FT edge to cleveland was i think what we all expected....the refs just call boston a lot harder...i mean pierce was getting mugged going to the rim...nothing was called...yet Z was posting powe and using his forearm to push him back..powe gets the foul....

i think moore is going to be prety good once scal and KG get back...he works hard and has a lot of energy...and marbury...you can start to see he is understanding the offense...he needs his legs

« Reply #444 on: March 07, 2009, 11:39:48 AM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

I am shocked -- shocked! -- that you would find fault in something BBD did. ;)

Varejao brought the ball down to his waist on a pump.  BBD went over the back, went for the ball, and got the ball.  He didn't swipe at his head -- he got the ball.  If BBD was 75 pounds lighter, that's not even a flagrant, much less an ejection. 

What POSSIBLY did I say that you disagreed with?! I said that he went after the ball, but when he came through and had two hands around Varaejo's neck he ripped him to the ground. There was no need for that. He had already committed the hard foul and prevented the basket. He didn't need to throw him to the floor. I hate Varaejo and yes he is a flopper. He laid on the ground there like a little girl. I really don't care if someone had come up and kicked him in the side. That was NOT however a smart play by BBD as he hurt his team. He was playing very well, which I have been very proactive about commenting on lately, and we needed the guy to keep his head. If you don't think there was something extra in there at the end then go back and watch it again in slow-mo...

« Reply #445 on: March 07, 2009, 11:52:04 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
-Turnovers, or lack of! For a team that's 4th in the league in turnovers at 15.8, it's refreshing to see them only commit 8, especially for a big game. OH yeah, and that includes Assist/turnover ratio: they were able to get 31 assists to the Cavs' 17. That's at least a ratio of 3. Simply marvelous.

Nice job pointing out the TOs.  That is an area in which the Cs really  need to improve.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #446 on: March 07, 2009, 03:05:00 PM »

Offline chief3233

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 8
  • Bleed Green
Thursday night my girlfriend asked if I would go to a movie with her Friday night, I, playing Call of Duty on Xbox Live, agreed not realizing that perhaps one of the biggest Celtics games so far this season was on. So during the movie, I was on my phone texting the information number my carrier provides getting score updates while my girlfriend was nudging me in the side and pouting because "I don't care about her enough" and blah blah. As the movie ended, there was about 10:48 left in the 4th, so we rushed to my car, and I sped back to my dorm room and caught the last 5 minutes. I sure was happy but she didn't seem to thrilled...GO C'S!!!
"The emblem of a warrior, it's the swagger of an athlete, a champion and dynasty, it's gifted, golden, genuine and glorious. It is a lower-case god. It's the goat. The greatest of all time. What's G? It is the heart, hustle and soul of the game."

« Reply #447 on: March 07, 2009, 07:22:44 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
Thursday night my girlfriend asked if I would go to a movie with her Friday night, I, playing Call of Duty on Xbox Live, agreed not realizing that perhaps one of the biggest Celtics games so far this season was on. So during the movie, I was on my phone texting the information number my carrier provides getting score updates while my girlfriend was nudging me in the side and pouting because "I don't care about her enough" and blah blah. As the movie ended, there was about 10:48 left in the 4th, so we rushed to my car, and I sped back to my dorm room and caught the last 5 minutes. I sure was happy but she didn't seem to thrilled...GO C'S!!!

Train 'em young and right... If you don't you'll end up down a road you can never return from. Nicely played chief!

« Reply #448 on: March 07, 2009, 07:54:57 PM »

Offline chief3233

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 8
  • Bleed Green
Also conned her into going to a game with me in a week and a half in Chicago. Hahaha atleast she knows my priorities!
"The emblem of a warrior, it's the swagger of an athlete, a champion and dynasty, it's gifted, golden, genuine and glorious. It is a lower-case god. It's the goat. The greatest of all time. What's G? It is the heart, hustle and soul of the game."

« Reply #449 on: March 07, 2009, 09:53:09 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
Also conned her into going to a game with me in a week and a half in Chicago. Hahaha atleast she knows my priorities!

And before too long YOUR priorities are HER priorities and all is well.