Author Topic: Cavs (48-12) at Celtics (48-14) 3/6  (Read 89060 times)

Cavs (48-12) at Celtics (48-14) 3/6
« on: March 05, 2009, 10:30:22 AM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11842
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
   at 
Cleveland Cavaliers  (48-12) at Boston Celtics (48-14)
Friday, March 6
8:00 PM ET
Game #63, Home Game #31
TV: ESPN,  CSN HD, FSN Ohio
TD Banknorth Garden

Coach: Doc Rivers
Average Age: 27.3
Average Height: 6-6
Average Weight: 222

Probable Starters
   PG: Rajon Rondo PPG 11.6 RPG 5.40 APG 8.5
   SG:  Ray Allen  PPG 18.2 RPG 3.40 APG 2.8   
   SF:  Paul Pierce PPG 20.1 RPG 5.70 APG 3.7   
   PF: Glen Davis  PPG 5.4 RPG 3.50 APG 0.8 
   C:  Kendrick Perkins  PPG 7.9 RPG 8.00 APG 1.2 

Reserves

Stephon Marbury
Mikki Moore
Eddie House
Leon Powe
Gabe Pruitt
JR Giddens
Bill Walker

Injuries:
Tony Allen (thumb) out
Kevin Garnett (knee) out
Brian Scalabrine (head)  out

Coach: Mike Brown
Average Age: 27.1
Average Height: 6-7
Average Weight: 227

Probable Starters
  PG:  Mo Williams PPG 17.7 RPG 3.30 APG 4.1 
  SG: Delonte West PPG 12.4 RPG 3.10 APG 3.5
  SF: LeBron James  PPG 28.5 RPG 7.30 APG 7.0
  PF: Anderson Varejao   PPG 8.2 RPG 6.90 APG 1.0
  C: Zydrunas Ilgauskas   PPG 13.5 RPG 7.70 APG 1.2

Reserves
Daniel Gibson
Tarence Kinsey
JJ Hickson
Darnell Jackson
Jawad Williams
Lorenzen Wright
Sasha Pavlovic
Wally Szczerbiak 
Joe Smith

Injured
Eric Snow (knee) out
Ben Wallace (fibula) out 

Matchups to Watch
  vs 
The matchup between Paul Pierce and LeBron James is always an entertaining one and is one of the best matchups in the league.  The Celtics need Pierce to step up with KG still expected to be out for this game.  Both of these players know the importance of this game and so we should see another classic game between these two.   

vs 
  Rondo outplayed Williams in their first matchup on opening night but Williams outplayed Rondo in their second meeting.  Both point guards have been playing very well and the Celtics will need Rondo to be aggressive and to play very well if the Celtics are to have a chance in this game.   

Honorable Mention
Ray Allen vs Delonte West
Since returning from his wrist injury, West has been playing very well and he had 8 steals in the Cavs win over the Bucks on Wednesday.  Delonte is a very good defender and will make it difficult for Ray to get open and so  it will be important for the Celtic's bigs to set good screens to get Ray some open shots.  Delonte has a chip on his shoulder against the Celtics for trading him and he will do his best to help his team win this one. 

Keys to the Game
Defense, Defense, Defense The Cavs have taken a page from the Celtics' book and are winning with defense.  They rank first overall in poits allowed at 90.6 per game.  Boston is 2nd, allowing 92.3 per game.  The Cavs are 2nd to Boston in field goal percentage allowed holding teams to 42.8%.   The Celtics have struggled with their defense since KG went out.    The Celtics allowed the Nets to score 111 points.  It is fairly certain that the Cavs won't allow the Celtics to shoot 60% and if the Celtics allow the Cavs over 100 points, they won't have much of a chance in this game. Defense will be the key to winning this game. 

Limit Turnovers   The Cavs are one of the best teams in the league in converting turnovers into points.  The Celtics are one of the worst teams in the league at turning the ball over.  It sounds like a formula for disaster.  If the Celtics don't take better care of the ball, the Cavs will make them pay for it.   

Rebound  Rebounding numbers indicate effort and desire and the team that works hardest on the glass will likely be the team that wants this game more.  The Cavs are 3rd, behind Boston and Portland in opponent rebounds allows, holding teams to just 38.6 rebounds per game.  They must limit the Cavs second chance efforts and at the same time they have to get offensive rebounds to give themselves more opportunities to score. 

Focus  The Celtics have lost focus, especially in the 4th quarter, of games recently.   They have lost leads in the 4th and were fortunate to come out of New Jersey with a win after blowing a big lead.    When teams press them,  when their shots stop falling, they seem to lose their focus and start tossing up jumpers instead of looking for the extra pass or taking the ball inside. And, worst of all, they tend to lose their defensive focus.   They need to focus on team ball and not allow teams to take them out of their game. 

Game Notes
This is the 3rd meeting between these two teams with the series tied 1-1. The Celtics beat the Cavs 90-85 in Boston on opening night.  The Cavs returned the favor by beating the Celtics 98-83 at the Q in January.  They have one more meeting in the final week of the season. 

The Cavs have moved 1 game in front of the Celtics for the best record in the East and don't appear to have any weaknesses.  They were a little thin up front after Ben Wallace went down but with the signing of Joe Smith, they took care of that.  And, unlike the Celtics' new acquisitions, it won't take much for Smith to be integrated into the system since he played in it last season.   The Cavs also never missed a beat when Ilgauskas and West both went out with injuries earlier in the season.   This is a very important game for both teams but the Celtics are at a disadvantage with KG still out against a Cavs team almost at full strength. They have Ben Wallace out, but you could argue that they are a better team with him out as Varejao is an upgrade over Wallace in the starting lineup.  The Celtics are definitely not a better team without KG.   

X-Factor
Home Court
The Celtics are playing at home.  The Cavs have been 1986 Celtics good at home, losing only 1 game there all season so far.  But, they are 21-11 on the road and the Celtics are 25-5 at home.  The Celtics need to take advantage of being at home and even though they are without KG, they need to step up and get this win to try to secure home court advantage for the playoffs. 

Re: Cavs (48-12) at Celtics (48-14) 3/6
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 07:30:34 AM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
TP.  Thanks.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 08:35:11 AM »

Offline gar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • Strength from Within
Lots of interesting match ups. Bench match ups may be most ctirical. Hope Doc got the message and plays Walker on Szerbiak and Pavlovich rather than Marbury/House. Walker can blow by Szerbiak at will. Walker also is strong enough to also slow down Lebron. Could be a key factor. Powe can also be big off the bench.

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 09:28:40 AM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 654
  • MASTER OF PANIC
if boston can keep it close i will be happy....this is a tough stretch without your best defensive anchor and energy guy. listening to all these cav fans here at work you would think this is game 7 of the eastern conf finals...they are sure mouthy

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2009, 09:35:09 AM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11842
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
Once again, thanks for the TP's for the threads!  I put a lot of time into them and appreciate your feedback on them. 

I can never be happy with keeping it close.  These are the Celtics we are talking about.  If we don't win I am not happy, even without KG.  We still have 2 superstars who should be able to beat the Cavs with one. 

I agree with playing Walker more.  I like what I see from him.  He could surprise a lot of teams who aren't prepared for him.   

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009, 10:32:33 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
Clean and simple:
TP.  Thanks.

GO CELTICS!

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2009, 10:33:04 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
I can never be happy with keeping it close.  These are the Celtics we are talking about.  If we don't win I am not happy, even without KG.  We still have 2 superstars who should be able to beat the Cavs with one. 

I agree. If we can limit their points off turnovers and from second chances, there's no good reason the C's can't win this.

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2009, 10:50:19 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

I agree. If we can limit their points off turnovers and from second chances, there's no good reason the C's can't win this.
If we don't turn the ball over much at home we should beat anyone. Without KG we need to do that, hit our threes, and out rebound them. Keeping them off the offensive glass will be huge.

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2009, 11:55:45 AM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
The turnovers are driving me crazy.  Especially the ones where we are trying to force passes for no reason.  If we do that tonight, we get beat...period. This opponent isn't one you want in transition all night.  We need to take care of the ball, get quality shots and force them to have to beat us with our half court defense set.  If we do all of this and still don't win, I can live with it.  After all, we have 2 major contributors down and one Hall of Famer.

Let's win anyway, dang it!

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2009, 12:24:56 PM »

Offline twinbree

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 170
I hope Rondo shows up in destroy an allstar PG mode and Ray breaks out of his scoring slump against the Cavs in a big way.
I'm definitely watching this on mute if ESPN continues on their quest to beat me into submission with odes to Lebron's greatness.
Go Celtics!
Tommy: He's got a line about me. Tell him the line.

Mike: Everybody 60 or over knows Tommy as a player. Everybody 40 or over knows Tommy as a coach. Everybody 20 or over knows Tommy as a broadcaster. And everybody 10 or under thinks he's Shrek.

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2009, 12:26:57 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
I hope Rondo shows up in destroy an allstar PG mode and Ray breaks out of his scoring slump against the Cavs in a big way.
I'm definitely watching this on mute if ESPN continues on their quest to beat me into submission with odes to Lebron's greatness.
Go Celtics!

Yep. Ray Ray needs to step up.  He hasn't been good against the Cavs.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2009, 01:24:22 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
Let's get FL to 1K today/tonight!
Here's one more from me  :)

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2009, 01:48:43 PM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85
I agree with a few posters above. This could be the breakout for Bill Walker. Kind of like Baby in Detroit last year. None better to do it against than Wally!!!

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2009, 03:37:58 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
TP to FLCF...in case anyone interested,the officials for tonite's game will be E.Rush,E.Malloy,Z.Zarba.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 04:28:33 PM by housecall »

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2009, 03:51:27 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
TP FLCF -- on your way to 1000!
 :D
Celtics fan for life.