Author Topic: Off Topic: The Wire  (Read 16175 times)

Re: Off Topic: The Wire
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2009, 01:13:26 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
one of the best compliments that i heard about the wire,,,wish has surpassed every show i have ever seen as my favorite by far, is that...in the future it will be held as the televison version of what Dickens or Shakespeare could offer in the 21st century

and i know they devoted a whole episode to the Dickensian aspects of the show,,,but it truly is a classic piece of literature, in the mold of Dickens

the "dickensian" element is addressed in a very funny way.  The Baltimore Sun thing is excellent. Fantastic show all around, its unreal to me that it didn't win more awards, that emmys shut it down every year.  Just goes to show you how ridiculous television awards are I guess.  Anyways, Simon has a new project coming out, http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1279972/, the Bunk and Lester Friedman are signed on for it and its about New Orleans and jazz.  HBO again, I would imagine it to be excellent. 

The way I heard it phrased by David Simon is that each season should be able to stand alone as an individual novel, each covering a different aspect of life in Baltimore.

My favorite seasons, from favorite to least favorite:

This past season....meh. It was good, but not on par with seasons 1 and 4,

Ya, i remember hearing that quote and i am pretty close to agreement with you on the seasons

I'd go 1 & 4 (cant really pick which one i like better), then 3 (the avon-stringer storyline was amazing), 2, 5. 

I wanted to switch 2 and 3...but I really loved season two's characters. Except Ziggy. Ziggy had to go and screw everything up.

But the Greek...Vondopolis (sp?), Sergi....then Nicky and Frank, and Beadie...

But then I really like anything having to really do with Avon's crew. Wee-Bey, Stringer, D in the first season..Bird in the first season...who's the other guy, played by sticky fingaz...I dunno but both stories are good, but the second season is the high quality all but forgotten when people talk about the wire. The story of the docks was very poignant to me.
I'd go 4, 1, 3, 5, 2. I wasn't feeling the longshoremen at all. Hamsterdam on the other hand was brilliant. I thought the school storyline was the most compelling of the 5 seasons.

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2009, 01:30:48 AM »

Offline feckless

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 93
Generation Kill was also a David Simon project and just like The Wire give it a couple of episodes and wow.  Finding competence, motivation - avoiding inept leaders many of the same real life issues I found in the Marines in the early 70's.  Not The Wire but some great writing and acting.
Days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum, forget most, remember some, don't turn none away.   Townes Van Zandt

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2009, 11:07:23 AM »

Offline CelticWes34

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 20
This was a terrific series. I really wish it had lasted longer than just five seasons. I work in the criminal justice field and it's crazy how well written and accurate this show was.

As far as my favorite seasons: I have to go 1,4,3,2 and 5.
Carl: And, technically, he's supposed to be spayed, and uh, he ain't that. I know that first hand. Go ahead, ask me how I know. Go ahead. Ask me. Ask me how I know.

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2009, 11:30:36 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
one of the best compliments that i heard about the wire,,,wish has surpassed every show i have ever seen as my favorite by far, is that...in the future it will be held as the televison version of what Dickens or Shakespeare could offer in the 21st century

and i know they devoted a whole episode to the Dickensian aspects of the show,,,but it truly is a classic piece of literature, in the mold of Dickens

the "dickensian" element is addressed in a very funny way.  The Baltimore Sun thing is excellent. Fantastic show all around, its unreal to me that it didn't win more awards, that emmys shut it down every year.  Just goes to show you how ridiculous television awards are I guess.  Anyways, Simon has a new project coming out, http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1279972/, the Bunk and Lester Friedman are signed on for it and its about New Orleans and jazz.  HBO again, I would imagine it to be excellent.    

Not so fast!!! I loved HBO, 4 years ago, but they've dropped the ball lately. Rome, Deadwood, The Wire, and Sopranos use to keep me paying $15+ a month all year long. Now I pay for Entourage and Curb your Enthusiasm, but wait for Big Love on DVD. As far as Treme goes, it sounds awful.

"The series is believed to look at the rebuilding of New Orleans, focusing specifically on a group of local musicians. The pilot was shot in the Big Easy and subsequent episodes will also be filmed in New Orleans".

Did anyone watch John from Cincinnati? I unfortunately did! I gave Milch the free pass after Deadwood. Now, I wish I could get those 12 hours back. :(
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2009, 12:05:22 PM »

Offline fugazzi24

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 17
The Wire is the best HBO series ever.  Much better than the Sopranos which got all the hype during that time period.  Season 4 was my favorite as well but all of the seasons are fantastic. 

We should not trade anyone and resign BBD, we destroyed the Lakers two years ago and can do it again!!!!!!

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2009, 12:07:41 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

Not so fast!!! I loved HBO, 4 years ago, but they've dropped the ball lately. Rome, Deadwood, The Wire, and Sopranos use to keep me paying $15+ a month all year long. Now I pay for Entourage and Curb your Enthusiasm, but wait for Big Love on DVD. As far as Treme goes, it sounds awful.

"The series is believed to look at the rebuilding of New Orleans, focusing specifically on a group of local musicians. The pilot was shot in the Big Easy and subsequent episodes will also be filmed in New Orleans".

Did anyone watch John from Cincinnati? I unfortunately did! I gave Milch the free pass after Deadwood. Now, I wish I could get those 12 hours back. :(

HBO needs to green light the creators of rome to do the GOT series.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Game_of_Thrones

Rumor is its down to that or a new police drama for 2010. If they pick the cop drama over the sheer awesomeness that would be the guys who did rome sinking there teeth into one book a season of game of thrones, i will be very displeased.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2009, 12:49:36 PM »

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 145
************SPOILER********************8

On Season 5, what in the world were Jimmy and Lester thinking? What a great show though, but man, that storyline was just insane. 

« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2009, 10:43:34 PM »

Offline Truck Lewis

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 1053
  • Reggie "Truck" Lewis
************SPOILER********************8

On Season 5, what in the world were Jimmy and Lester thinking? What a great show though, but man, that storyline was just insane. 

it was insane but not really out of their characters possibility's. they still pretty loyal to their characters...and in a way Jimmy and Lester were very similar all along. Jimmy was just a little more wild and reckless. 

and you wanna talk insane? all i can say is Kenard
Looking for a Sig designer....obviously i will be greatful with tps.

Looking for a Wire - Rondo theme....PM with ideas and I'll tp

« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2009, 12:24:29 AM »

Offline vwoodruff

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 45
Don't even talk about Kenard.. aka the Orlando Magic

« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2009, 12:30:12 AM »

Offline Truck Lewis

• Don Chaney
  • Reggie "Truck" Lewis
Don't even talk about Kenard.. aka the Orlando Magic

huh?

edit: i cant really see your avatar, but is it omar rockin a celts tee?

« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2009, 02:10:30 AM »

Offline vwoodruff

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 45
The Cheese stood alone, man... no one rockin' the Omar Little avatars when the Cs were walking wounded in the playoffs. Unfortunately, they got taken down by the young corner boy. The quote in the photo is: "You come at the king, you best not miss."

« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2009, 12:47:54 PM »

Offline Schupac

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 235
On this topic I declare....RESURRECTION!!!

I just got the complete series on DVD for my birthday.  I plan to carefully mete it out at an episode an evening on weeknights only.  Let's see if that lasts.  After watching episode one last night, I am ready to roll again.  I love this show.

My poor, misguided roommate said he didn't think it was as good as the sopranos or (gasp) Dexter.  I was tempted to kill him, but instead I told him to watch the whole season and then decide.  I may go back and just kill him though.

« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2010, 10:29:00 PM »

Offline misha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 1488
  • Open your eyes
Finished watching the entire series yesterday (took me about a month). Absolutely lovet it! After this, will be hard to find some other show to satisfy me as much.
The Immortals:

Iker Casillas, Giacinto Facchetti, Alessandro Nesta, Matthias Sammer, Javier Zanetti, Lothar Matthäus (c), Xavi, Zico, Maradona, Roberto Baggio, Ferenc Puskas, Karl Heinz Rummenigge

Coach:Rinus Michels

« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2010, 10:54:17 PM »

Offline Truck Lewis

• Don Chaney
  • Reggie "Truck" Lewis
Finished watching the entire series yesterday (took me about a month). Absolutely lovet it! After this, will be hard to find some other show to satisfy me as much.

you will search in vain......

how amazing was the 4th season?

« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2010, 12:16:18 AM »

Offline misha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 1488
  • Open your eyes
Finished watching the entire series yesterday (took me about a month). Absolutely love it! After this, will be hard to find some other show to satisfy me as much.

you will search in vain......

how amazing was the 4th season?
It was brilliant. What would Senator Davis say about the show ending only after 5 seasons?

EDIT: Even Clay Davis can't use masked profanity on Celticsblog, sorry. For those that don't know, he said "shooooooooot"...but not.
-IP
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 12:56:57 AM by IndeedProceed »
The Immortals:

Iker Casillas, Giacinto Facchetti, Alessandro Nesta, Matthias Sammer, Javier Zanetti, Lothar Matthäus (c), Xavi, Zico, Maradona, Roberto Baggio, Ferenc Puskas, Karl Heinz Rummenigge

Coach:Rinus Michels