Author Topic: Report: Joe Smith agrees to contract with Cleveland  (Read 6656 times)

Report: Joe Smith agrees to contract with Cleveland
« on: March 03, 2009, 08:34:29 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
No surprise here:

Joe Smith is about to become a Cavalier, again.

The Cavs and the veteran 6-foot-10 forward agreed to terms on a one-year contract Tuesday night. He is expected to sign the deal once he clears waivers Wednesday morning and should be able to join the team by Friday's game at Boston.

"After careful consideration of his options, Joe has decided that the Cavs are the best fit," Smith's agent, Dan Fegan, said.

Smith was contacted by several teams after getting a buyout from the Oklahoma City Thunder on Sunday. He averaged 6.1 points and 4.5 rebounds in 39 games with the Thunder this season. He played 27 games plus the playoffs with the Cavs last season.

http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2009/03/joe_smith_agrees_to_terms_with.html

I'll be curious to hear how much of their MLE they had to spend.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

Joe Smith to CLE
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 08:35:28 PM »

Offline Jordon

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 0
http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2009/03/joe_smith_agrees_to_terms_with.html

"The Cavs and the veteran 6-foot-10 forward agreed to terms on a one-year contract Tuesday night. He is expected to sign the deal once he clears waivers Wednesday morning and should be able to join the team by Friday's game at Boston.

"After careful consideration of his options, Joe has decided that the Cavs are the best fit," Smith's agent, Dan Fegan, said.

Smith was contracted by several teams after getting a buyout from the Oklahoma City Thunder on Sunday. He averaged 6.1 points and 4.5 rebounds in 39 games with the Thunder this season. He played 27 games plus the playoffs with the Cavs last season."

::)

Re: Report: Joe Smith agrees to contract with Cleveland
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 08:37:23 PM »

Offline SShorefan 4.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 186
wow,

what a surprise.
Call me a sap, but I love my kids more than anything!

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 09:19:56 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Boooooo.
 ;)
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 09:46:46 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
This blows.

I can't stand the Cavs. I think they have an arrogance that they haven't earned. I think they are a bunch of flopping whiners and it is going to totally kill me as a bball fan if they make it past us.

That's why this past week was so frustrating for me.

Anyway, time to buckle down here. Time to stop all my complaining and hope we can rise to the challenge.

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 09:54:02 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
This blows.

I can't stand the Cavs. I think they have an arrogance that they haven't earned. I think they are a bunch of flopping whiners and it is going to totally kill me as a bball fan if they make it past us.

Anyway, time to buckle down here. Time to stop all my complaining and hope we can rise to the challenge.
you are not by yourself...everytime i here something from Moe,D.West its with a arrogant,cocky attitude as if they won something.I hope we sweep them.tp

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2009, 10:01:26 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
This blows.

you are not by yourself...everytime i here something from Moe,D.West its with a arrogant,cocky attitude as if they won something.I hope we sweep them.tp

I had the unfortunate experience of catching the piece on Mo Williams where he talked about how he patterns himself after Gary Payton. This team needs to get put in its place.

Man, Big Baby and Leon have such a load on their plate. They are just going to have to get big ol' bunch of nastiness for breakfast the next month of so. no more Wheaties because to get by the Cavs we are going to have to tear the walls down.

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2009, 10:45:32 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
No surprise here:

Joe Smith is about to become a Cavalier, again.

The Cavs and the veteran 6-foot-10 forward agreed to terms on a one-year contract Tuesday night. He is expected to sign the deal once he clears waivers Wednesday morning and should be able to join the team by Friday's game at Boston.

Smith was contacted by several teams after getting a buyout from the Oklahoma City Thunder on Sunday. He averaged 6.1 points and 4.5 rebounds in 39 games with the Thunder this season. He played 27 games plus the playoffs with the Cavs last season.

I'll be curious to hear how much of their MLE they had to spend.

Yeah. I can't wait to see what the price of this deal is.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2009, 10:52:29 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones

Mo Williams especially has the arrogance. What's with the "holstering the pistols" thing he does with LeBron?
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2009, 11:14:48 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
Joe Smith had decided that the Cavs were the best fit many weeks ago guys. He was just diplomatic about there being other options. He knew that the Cavs had the team in place that would easily challenge us for HCA. He knew that we would have an extremely tough time beating them without it. He most importantly knew that Cleveland had the cash to give him. If he signs for vet minimum I would be very surprised.

Weigh this for yourself. Likely HCA. The best player in Lebron on either team. Coin flip for who is better as a team. More money in Cleveland. You played with them last year. A more assured role on the team with less true competition at your spot. If I was Joe Smith I would have chosen the Cavs as well. We are looking at this through Shamrock colored glasses guys. He's not a Celtics fan.

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2009, 12:17:15 AM »

Offline gkiteisscal

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 7
Mikey Adams was reporting on EEI that Joe Smith was signed but was not eligible for the postseason.  I know since Smith was bought out before 3/1 he is eligible, so I was wondering if there was any validity in what EEI was reporting or if they just simply mispoke?

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2009, 12:20:32 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas

Mo Williams especially has the arrogance. What's with the "holstering the pistols" thing he does with LeBron?

Mo is a you-know-what clown. I never liked him as a player (not condemning him as person, just don't like him in fan world)

I was listening to LeBron last night after beating the Heat and he clearly is starting to believe his own press and hype. Dude has a massive ego now.

I would seriously feel better beating this stupid Cavs team this year than beating the Yankees in 04 (well maybe not, games 4 and 5 were insane)

but i have developed such sports venom for this Cavs team. Starting the rest of this season off with a victory over them without KG on friday would delight me to no end......

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2009, 12:41:59 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones

Mo is a you-know-what clown. I never liked him as a player (not condemning him as person, just don't like him in fan world)

I was listening to LeBron last night after beating the Heat and he clearly is starting to believe his own press and hype. Dude has a massive ego now.

I would seriously feel better beating this stupid Cavs team this year than beating the Yankees in 04 (well maybe not, games 4 and 5 were insane)

but i have developed such sports venom for this Cavs team. Starting the rest of this season off with a victory over them without KG on friday would delight me to no end......

TP, couldn't agree more.  Lets make sure the horse is in front of the cart, though, and take care of NJ first...
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2009, 12:44:45 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas

TP, couldn't agree more.  Lets make sure the horse is in front of the cart, though, and take care of NJ first...

you're right. you don't want to look past them and they are playing halfway decent ball right now.

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2009, 01:02:00 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Mikey Adams was reporting on EEI that Joe Smith was signed but was not eligible for the postseason.  I know since Smith was bought out before 3/1 he is eligible, so I was wondering if there was any validity in what EEI was reporting or if they just simply mispoke?
He either misspoke or is ignorant of the actual rule. A player merely needs to be placed on waivers by March 1st to be eligible. Joe Smith was waived on March 1st and therefore may be signed and be playoff eligible for his new team.