Author Topic: Your All NBA Teams Thus Far  (Read 3356 times)

Your All NBA Teams Thus Far
« on: March 03, 2009, 05:59:26 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.
No game today, why not discuss the awards debates that are sure to start in about 10 games?  Let's hear your All NBA Teams... and remember, it's not PG/SG/SF/PF/C, but just G/G/F/F/C.

1st Team
Dwyane Wade
Kobe Bryant
LeBron James
Tim Duncan
Dwight  Howard

2nd Team
Chris Paul
Deron Williams
Paul Pierce
Dirk Nowitzki
Yao Ming

3rd Team
Brandon Roy
Joe Johnson
Kevin Durant
Kevin Garnett
Pau Gasol

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

Re: Your All NBA Teams Thus Far
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 06:15:54 PM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923
Well I know the first team

Chris Paul
Dwyane Wade
Kobe Bryant
LeBron James
Dwight Howard

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 06:18:45 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458

Chris Paul
Dwyane Wade
Kobe Bryant
LeBron James
Dwight Howard

There can only be two guards, two forwards. Kobe is a guard.

Wade
Bryant
James
Duncan
Howard
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 06:33:55 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
First Team:
Dwyane Wade
Kobe Bryant
LeBron James
Tim Duncan
Dwight Howard

Second Team:
Chris Paul
Brandon Roy
Paul Pierce
Dirk Nowitzki
Pau Gasol

Third Team:
Tony Parker
Joe Johnson
Kevin Durant
Kevin Garnett
Yao Ming

Honorable mention to Chauncey Billups, Ray Allen, Deron Williams and Shaquille O'Neal.

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 06:47:16 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
First Team:
Chris Paul
Kobe Bryant
LeBron James
Tim Duncan
Dwight Howard

Second Team:
Chauncey Billups
Dwayne Wade
Paul Pierce
Kevin Garnett
Yao Ming

Third Team:
Tony Parker
Brandon Roy
Kevin Durant
Pau Gasol
Tim Duncan

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 06:48:36 PM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923

Chris Paul
Dwyane Wade
Kobe Bryant
LeBron James
Dwight Howard

There can only be two guards, two forwards. Kobe is a guard.

Wade
Bryant
James
Duncan
Howard

I don't care what the rules are, but that would be my first team.

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2009, 06:49:09 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • The good ole days.
First Team:
Chris Paul
Kobe Bryant
LeBron James
Tim Duncan
Dwight Howard

Second Team:
Chauncey Billups
Dwayne Wade
Paul Pierce
Kevin Garnett
Yao Ming

Third Team:
Tony Parker
Brandon Roy
Kevin Durant
Pau Gasol
Tim Duncan

Not sure if it was intentional... but Duncan can't be on two different teams.

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2009, 06:54:18 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • The good ole days.
First Team:
Dwyane Wade
Kobe Bryant
LeBron James
Tim Duncan
Dwight Howard

Second Team:
Chris Paul
Brandon Roy
Paul Pierce
Dirk Nowitzki
Pau Gasol

Third Team:
Tony Parker
Joe Johnson
Kevin Durant
Kevin Garnett
Yao Ming

Honorable mention to Chauncey Billups, Ray Allen, Deron Williams and Shaquille O'Neal.

I like it, maestro.  Lots of similarities on ours... Yao/Gasol is a close one for me.  Deron Williams seems to be the only player we really differ on, as Billups, Parker, Nash, Shaq, and Ray are my top 5 to be left off.  Throw in Melo and call it my miscellaneous "4th Team Plus a 6th Man".

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2009, 06:58:32 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Those are excellent selections Big Ticket. I agree on almost every count. I'd make two smallish changes:
  • I'd have KG and Yao switch spots.
  • I need Chauncey Billups to be on one of those teams. Since Deron and Paul are on the second team, I'll have to leave him on the third team. I'll throw off Kevin Durant, mainly because of his team's lousy record.

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2009, 07:01:01 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
Rondo, Allen, Pierce, Garnett, Perk

a.k.a.

the best starting 5 in the universe
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2009, 07:07:26 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • The good ole days.
Those are excellent selections Big Ticket. I agree on almost every count. I'd make two smallish changes:
  • I need Chauncey Billups to be on one of those teams. Since Deron and Paul are on the second team, I'll have to leave him on the third team. I'll throw off Kevin Durant, mainly because of his team's lousy record.

Thanks, Who.  So you'd have KG as the 2nd team center?  Or would you move Dirk to C... or just have 3 forwards?  I agree with you based on merit alone, but I tried to keep the G-G-F-F-C format somewhat rigid.

Billups is a tough one for me.  I know he is going to get a ton of credit for the Nuggets turnaround, but I'm fighting with myself about how I think of it.  Statistically, Melo is still that team's best player.  But the swap of Iverson and Billups, and resulting team play, just screams that Billups brings more than his inefficient FG shooting and low assist rate as a point guard.  I will use a comparison that I've made before... the Nuggets this year are a lot like the Celtics last year, with Billups playing the role of KG (just not quite as good on either count).  I suppose I'd bump Johnson for Billups (again, want to try and keep the GGFFC format, but unfortunately there are several worthy guards that I had to leave off in order to honor the structure with Durant at F). 

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2009, 07:46:16 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402

Thanks, Who.  So you'd have KG as the 2nd team center?  Or would you move Dirk to C... or just have 3 forwards?  I agree with you based on merit alone, but I tried to keep the G-G-F-F-C format somewhat rigid.

Billups is a tough one for me.  I know he is going to get a ton of credit for the Nuggets turnaround, but I'm fighting with myself about how I think of it.  Statistically, Melo is still that team's best player.  But the swap of Iverson and Billups, and resulting team play, just screams that Billups brings more than his inefficient FG shooting and low assist rate as a point guard.  I will use a comparison that I've made before... the Nuggets this year are a lot like the Celtics last year, with Billups playing the role of KG (just not quite as good on either count).  I suppose I'd bump Johnson for Billups (again, want to try and keep the GGFFC format, but unfortunately there are several worthy guards that I had to leave off in order to honor the structure with Durant at F). 
I'm not overly concerned about the positions. As long as they're capable of playing the spot, and playing it at a very high level, then it's fine.

For example, both Brandon Roy and Joe Johnson are capable of playing all three perimeter positions for their teams, and do play all three positions for their teams. Their natural position is the off guard but they're still immensely talented players at the other spots. JJ in particular, who is 6-7 and 240lbs, is easily able to play the three position.

Ditto for KG and Dirk -- On another matter, I think the Mavs need to switch Dirk to center and plan their rebuilding effort around that. I don't think they can build another contender if they try to keep him at power forward, takes too many options off the board and forces them use a big asset on a center who is unlikely to be a large enough difference maker at that cost.

As for Melo and Billups, I think Billups has been a lot better for the Nuggets. Melo's all round game has improved a lot this season but his scoring+efficiency have had a big drop. I think next season, when Melo's scoring talent is back on full display, he'll be the superior player -- temporary best player tag for Billups. I also think Billups has the larger effect on his teammates performances.

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2009, 07:51:38 PM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1666
First Team:
Dwyane Wade
Kobe Bryant
LeBron James
Tim Duncan
Dwight Howard

Second Team:
Chris Paul
Brandon Roy
Paul Pierce
Dirk Nowitzki
Yao Ming

Third Team:
Ray Allen
Joe Johnson
David West
Kevin Garnett
Pau Gasol

This is my take.  Ray Allen has been arguably our best player and deserves a spot up there if Paul and KG are there.  To make room for him, Deron Williams had to be left off because he spent a good part of the season hurt.  I don't feel like Paul Pierce deserves second team honors, but I can't for the life of me think of anybody who I'd replace him with.  David West replaces Kevin Durant mainly based on team success, but I could see Durant as high as second team in the end if he comes back and plays like he did in February.  

Tough guard group to break into - Chauncey Billups, Tony Parker and Deron Williams all have legitimate arguments for inclusion.  

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2009, 07:57:58 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • The good ole days.

I'm not overly concerned about the positions. As long as they're capable of playing the spot, and playing it at a very high level, then it's fine.

For example, both Brandon Roy and Joe Johnson are capable of playing all three perimeter positions for their teams, and do play all three positions for their teams. Their natural position is the off guard but they're still immensely talented players at the other spots. JJ in particular, who is 6-7 and 240lbs, is easily able to play the three position.

Ditto for KG and Dirk -- On another matter, I think the Mavs need to switch Dirk to center and plan their rebuilding effort around that. I don't think they can build another contender if they try to keep him at power forward, takes too many options off the board and forces them use a big asset on a center who is unlikely to be a large enough difference maker at that cost.

As for Melo and Billups, I think Billups has been a lot better for the Nuggets. Melo's all round game has improved a lot this season but his scoring+efficiency have had a big drop. I think next season, when Melo's scoring talent is back on full display, he'll be the superior player -- temporary best player tag for Billups. I also think Billups has the larger effect on his teammates performances.

Can't really argue with anything here.  I completely agree that there should be some leeway with positions, but it doesn't seem to work that way with the actual vote, so I tried not to either.

Anyways, TP and thanks for the input.  You're one of the first posters I look to for general NBA insight, so glad you decided to drop in on this thread.