Author Topic: Economic times and contraction in the NBA?  (Read 4670 times)

Economic times and contraction in the NBA?
« on: March 03, 2009, 01:15:01 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
After reading Bill Simmonss article yesterday about the financial downturn that is be hitting the NBA and the possiblility of it getting really bad, I thought, if this recession/depression gets real bad, this could actually, long term, be a good thing for the NBA. Here's how so:

First I think contraction is not only a possibility, I think it is a certainty if this recession/depression lasts into 2011. The Kings, Suns, Grizzlies and a lot of other teams are already feeling the crunch. it's only a matter of time before it goes public that a lot of other teams are feeling it as well. So who should go? Let's look at attendance:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/attendance

Sorry, I still, 2 years later haven't figured out how to post a table of stats so if there is a good natured mod that reads this and would like to post it I'd shower you with a TP or three.

Anyways if contraction is going to happen it will probably be 2 teams to start with possibly two teams later and some relocating happening as well. By pure attendance numbers Charlotte, Indiana, Memphis and Sacramento are the worse with all 4 teams at or below the 14000 per game attendance figure. Not coincidentally Memphis and Sacramento are the two lowest in capacity sold as well. None of these teams travel well either as all four are in the bottom five of road attendance generated and in the bottom seven of capacity generated on the road. Minnesota is another team that show up pretty prominently in these numbers as well. Surprisingly to me, so does Philadelphia.

So who will need to be contracted and who will need to relocate? I know the NBAPA will have a fit thinking that up to 60 jobs could be in jeapody but if the teams can't remain solvent then they really can't do too much. Also, they could well play a hand in creating the contraction as it looks like a work stoppage is inevitable. If it is prolonged, some teams might just not be able to come out of it.

I would like to see the folloowing teams contracted: Charlotte, Memphis, Minnesota and the Clippers. Charlotte, let's be honest, never deserved a second chance at a pro franchise. memphis has been a joke both fiscally and on the court since it's inception. Minnesota just doesn't have the numbers to stay alive or the economic climate in that area. The Clippers have been an NBA joke of a franchise since Buffalo and have been rated as one of the worst sports franchises ever in many polls. If Sacramento just can't stay afloat, then give Minnesota a reprieve and contract the Kings. I'm not in favor of that as the Kings franchise is rather old and has some history. Perhaps a relocation would be better for them.

But with those teams gone the league could look like this:

Eastern Conference                          Western Conference

Atlantic                                                 Northwest
Boston                                                 Portland   
New York                                             Denver
New Jersey                                         Utah
Philadelphia                                       OKC
Toronto                                           

Central                                                 Pacific
Cleveland                                            Los Angeles
Detroit                                                  Golden State
Chicago                                               Phoenix 
Milwaukee                                           Las Vegas Kings(relocation)
Indiana

Southeast                                             Southwest
Miami                                                     Houston
Atlanta                                                   Dallas
Orlando                                                 San Antonio
Washington                                          New Orleans

Now maybe with 14 teams in the East and 12 in the West realignment of Milwaukee to a Western Conference team in the Northwest division and OKC to the Southwest division would make some sense. Or maybe they just go back to four divisions 2 of 7 and 2 of 6. I'm not sure.

But contraction would mean, deeper better benches as hopefully the worst 60 players in the league would exit. It would mean better refereeing(okay this is probably a pipedream but theoretically it works) as up to 6 of the worst refs in the league could be let go as it would mean two less games on most nights. It would mean more exposure for the entire league as a whole as marketing for 4 teams could stop.

Maybe, this depression is exactly what this league could use right now.

Re: Economic times and contraction in the NBA?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 01:19:48 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.
Try to contract the Wolves.... I dare you.   >:(

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 01:22:00 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
TP for all the work that took to put together nick. Great points. I agree. This would increase the talent level in the league.

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 01:22:43 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I knew I'd have trouble with at least one CB member. LOL. TP4U.

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 01:26:40 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Stay away from the Pacers too. I have fond memories of watching them, back when the ball was red white and blue.

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 01:30:20 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.
I knew I'd have trouble with at least one CB member. LOL. TP4U.

Sorry, I just hate any rumour, conjecture, or insinuation about this when it comes to contracting the Wolves.  They've already been rumored to move in the past.  I had to put up with Selig wanting to shut down the Twins and now the Vikings are one of the favorites to move to a new stadium in Industry, CA that was just approved for building.  I don't want to have to fret about the Wolves as well.

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2009, 01:32:44 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Just in case, though, Danny should call dibs on Big Al.

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2009, 02:18:04 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Just in case, though, Danny should call dibs on Big Al.
Beat me to it!!

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2009, 02:57:54 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
After reading Bill Simmonss article yesterday about the financial downturn that is be hitting the NBA and the possiblility of it getting really bad, I thought, if this recession/depression gets real bad, this could actually, long term, be a good thing for the NBA. Here's how so:

First I think contraction is not only a possibility, I think it is a certainty if this recession/depression lasts into 2011. The Kings, Suns, Grizzlies and a lot of other teams are already feeling the crunch. it's only a matter of time before it goes public that a lot of other teams are feeling it as well. So who should go? Let's look at attendance:

Sorry, I still, 2 years later haven't figured out how to post a table of stats so if there is a good natured mod that reads this and would like to post it I'd shower you with a TP or three.

Anyways if contraction is going to happen it will probably be 2 teams to start with possibly two teams later and some relocating happening as well. By pure attendance numbers Charlotte, Indiana, Memphis and Sacramento are the worse with all 4 teams at or below the 14000 per game attendance figure. Not coincidentally Memphis and Sacramento are the two lowest in capacity sold as well. None of these teams travel well either as all four are in the bottom five of road attendance generated and in the bottom seven of capacity generated on the road. Minnesota is another team that show up pretty prominently in these numbers as well. Surprisingly to me, so does Philadelphia.

So who will need to be contracted and who will need to relocate? I know the NBAPA will have a fit thinking that up to 60 jobs could be in jeapody but if the teams can't remain solvent then they really can't do too much. Also, they could well play a hand in creating the contraction as it looks like a work stoppage is inevitable. If it is prolonged, some teams might just not be able to come out of it.

I would like to see the folloowing teams contracted: Charlotte, Memphis, Minnesota and the Clippers. Charlotte, let's be honest, never deserved a second chance at a pro franchise. memphis has been a joke both fiscally and on the court since it's inception. Minnesota just doesn't have the numbers to stay alive or the economic climate in that area. The Clippers have been an NBA joke of a franchise since Buffalo and have been rated as one of the worst sports franchises ever in many polls. If Sacramento just can't stay afloat, then give Minnesota a reprieve and contract the Kings. I'm not in favor of that as the Kings franchise is rather old and has some history. Perhaps a relocation would be better for them.

Toronto                                           

Indiana

Now maybe with 14 teams in the East and 12 in the West realignment of Milwaukee to a Western Conference team in the Northwest division and OKC to the Southwest division would make some sense. Or maybe they just go back to four divisions 2 of 7 and 2 of 6. I'm not sure.

But contraction would mean, deeper better benches as hopefully the worst 60 players in the league would exit. It would mean better refereeing(okay this is probably a pipedream but theoretically it works) as up to 6 of the worst refs in the league could be let go as it would mean two less games on most nights. It would mean more exposure for the entire league as a whole as marketing for 4 teams could stop.

Personally, I think 6 teams should be contracted based on the economics, overall league talent level and the conference arrangements. 

I don't have an issue with Charlotte, Memphis, Minnesota and the Clippers being on the list.  I could see a combo of Sac, OKC or Tor as the 2 other teams.  Sac fans have shown support for good teams so they'd be option 3.  Now that OKC has moved (no more Sonics), the logic of keeping them around as an older franchise really shouldn't apply. 

New alignment:
Eastern Conference      
Atlantic                                                 Boston                                                   
New York                                             
New Jersey                                         
Philadelphia                                       Washington                                           
Atlanta

Central                                                 
Cleveland                                           
Detroit                                                 
Chicago                                                 
Milwaukee                                           
Indiana
Denver

Western Conference
South                                             
Miami                                                                                       Dallas
Orlando                                                 
Houston
New Orleans
San Antonio

Pacific
Portland
Utah
Los Angeles
Golden State
Phoenix
Sacramento Kings  (if they relocate east like St Louis or Pittsburgh, move Denver here and the Kings to the Central).

This would get back to only division winners as the top 2 seeds and the rest jockeying for position.  Under the current power structure, the C's, Cavs and Lakers have easier divisions, the South is a powerhouse.

The contraction should provide enough decent players from the 6 contracted teams (90 players total) to clean out the bottom feeders on the remaining teams.  No more vets in the league that can't pull their weight, no more 3-5 year project kids (hello POB) and a probable upgrade in the D league where better players will compete for end-of-roster spots -->like the old CBA.

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2009, 03:03:42 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!

Toronto                                           

Indiana

Personally, I think 6 teams should be contracted based on the economics, overall league talent level and the conference arrangements. 

I don't have an issue with Charlotte, Memphis, Minnesota and the Clippers being on the list.  I could see a combo of Sac, OKC or Tor as the 2 other teams.  Sac fans have shown support for good teams so they'd be option 3.  Now that OKC has moved (no more Sonics), the logic of keeping them around as an older franchise really shouldn't apply. 

New alignment:
Eastern Conference      
New York                                             
New Jersey                                         
Atlanta

Central                                                 
Cleveland                                           
Detroit                                                 
Chicago                                                 
Milwaukee                                           
Indiana
Denver

Western Conference
South                                             
Miami                                                                                       Dallas
Orlando                                                 
Houston
New Orleans
San Antonio

Pacific
Portland
Utah
Los Angeles
Golden State
Phoenix
Sacramento Kings  (if they relocate east like St Louis or Pittsburgh, move Denver here and the Kings to the Central).

This would get back to only division winners as the top 2 seeds and the rest jockeying for position.  Under the current power structure, the C's, Cavs and Lakers have easier divisions, the South is a powerhouse.

The contraction should provide enough decent players from the 6 contracted teams (90 players total) to clean out the bottom feeders on the remaining teams.  No more vets in the league that can't pull their weight, no more 3-5 year project kids (hello POB) and a probable upgrade in the D league where better players will compete for end-of-roster spots -->like the old CBA.

No need for NBDL..reduce marketing

No place for international players ( reduce marketing)

No internatinal bussiness

No traveling no exibicional games

No money

No league
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2009, 03:30:16 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Toronto                                           

Indiana

New alignment:
Eastern Conference      
New York                                             
New Jersey                                         
Atlanta

Central                                                 
Cleveland                                           
Detroit                                                 
Chicago                                                 
Milwaukee                                           
Indiana
Denver

Western Conference
South                                             
Orlando                                                 
Houston
New Orleans
San Antonio

Pacific
Portland
Utah
Los Angeles
Golden State
Phoenix

No money

No league
Not really sure why you think there's no place for international players.  There's plenty in the league today that are very good and would remain. 

Not really following any of your comments to your conclusions of 'no' anything.

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2009, 03:44:05 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!

Toronto                                           

Indiana

New alignment:
Eastern Conference      
New York                                             
New Jersey                                         
Atlanta

Central                                                 
Cleveland                                           
Detroit                                                 
Chicago                                                 
Milwaukee                                           
Indiana
Denver

Western Conference
South                                             
Orlando                                                 
Houston
New Orleans
San Antonio

Pacific
Portland
Utah
Los Angeles
Golden State
Phoenix

No money

No league
Not really sure why you think there's no place for international players.  There's plenty in the league today that are very good and would remain. 

Not really following any of your comments to your conclusions of 'no' anything.

ok my thinking is this
when US economy is bad the worst policy would be to reduce the Number of players involved or to reduce the market
have somethin related to the thinking of ........^please no advertising because we are in crisis¨
I am not saying there will be no place for internatinal players but the No. will reduce i am pretty sure there are a decent amount of ucik, yi, obertos and other players stuff sold around the world, just like there are still gerald green lovers.
In this times like recesion league have to expand and use every market vailable to survive, small markets can carry part of the load meanwhile things got better.
Thats why i dont think is a good time to think in less teams or less markets.
Sorry if my english isnt good enough for making this this clearer

Its all about markets
no jogo bonito.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 03:49:16 PM by Edgar »
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2009, 05:49:15 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
i'm all for contraction...i think the league sucks because there are too many teams - meaning, a lot of guys have jobs today that NEVER would have them 25 years ago.
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2009, 06:31:44 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Leave the Wolves alone. Its the closest NBA city to me and that's 8 hours. Its too far to drive to Milwaukee (Plus I don't want to).

Contract Charlotte and Memphis. Then maybe New Orleans and the Clippers.

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2009, 06:41:53 PM »

Offline Toine43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 219
  • "Spare change?"
Western Conference
South                                             
Miami                                                                Dallas
Orlando                                                 
Houston
New Orleans
San Antonio
Miami and Orlando in the Western Conference? That's not a "Western Conference".

Eddie House - for THREEEEEEE!