Author Topic: Stromile Swift waived  (Read 4927 times)

Stromile Swift waived
« on: March 02, 2009, 01:16:42 AM »

Offline The Walker Wiggle

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 758
  • Pretend Hinkie
Following their 99-96 loss to the New Orleans Hornets on Sunday, the Nets waived big man Stromile Swift, who has suffered through a season full of anguish following the long illness and subsequent death of his mother.

The move came as a surprise, because Stromile Swift practiced well Friday and Saturday -- coach Lawrence Frank characterized the sessions as "terrific" -- and it appeared he might actually be activated sometime this week.

"This is the best thing for 'Stro'," Nets' GM Kiki Vandeweghe said. "He wasn't getting a chance to play here, and this is a chance to hook up with another team and get some playing time."

Swift played in only six games this season, leaving the team for roughly six weeks to attend to his mother, who died on Jan. 27.

via Dave D'Alessandro

Nets possibly also motivated by an interest in making room for Luther Head?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 03:00:58 AM by The Walker Wiggle »

Re: Stromile Swift waived
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 08:06:09 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
Can he play the 3?  He's definitely athletic to defend the position, but I don't know anything about his offense.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 09:29:09 AM »

Offline Ohio Celtics Fan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 18
  • GM - NYK
Would the Celtics actually make a move at him? I think it would be a great signing on their part he could be the guy to give Pierce some rest and I mean he already knows our old friends Zaza and Josh Smith from the Hawks... ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0UT_hzNq_M&feature=related
CB Draft - New York Knicks
PG: George Hill / Nate Robinson
SG: Dwyane Wade / Gerald Henderson / Christian Eyenga
SF:  Grant Hill / Paul George / Earl Clark
PF:  Kenyon Martin / Jordan Hill / (Earl Clark)
C:   Greg Oden / Kurt Thomas / Hilton Armstong

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 09:40:48 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
Would the Celtics actually make a move at him? I think it would be a great signing on their part he could be the guy to give Pierce some rest and I mean he already knows our old friends Zaza and Josh Smith from the Hawks... ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0UT_hzNq_M&feature=related

Does he have a jumpshot?
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 09:41:11 AM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
He's got the greatest nickname in professional sports.

"NoneToo" Swift.

If you aren't pushing hard for Joe Smith or Drew Gooden, you aren't pushing for Stro.  Personally, I'd dump Pruitt and bring aboard another big; really, can you EVER have too many?  Besides, they'll be minutes for both Moore and someone like Gooden, with Scal out indefinately.  

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009, 09:52:12 AM »

Offline Ohio Celtics Fan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 18
  • GM - NYK
I definitely like the idea of signing Smith or Gooden better but it doesn't seem like that's an extreme possibility right now. Worse case I think he would be a better addition than nothing.
CB Draft - New York Knicks
PG: George Hill / Nate Robinson
SG: Dwyane Wade / Gerald Henderson / Christian Eyenga
SF:  Grant Hill / Paul George / Earl Clark
PF:  Kenyon Martin / Jordan Hill / (Earl Clark)
C:   Greg Oden / Kurt Thomas / Hilton Armstong

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2009, 06:33:21 PM »

Offline cornbreadsmart

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106
no way in hell can swift play sf. i saw in another thread someone suggested that BABY plays sf. not sure which is funnier.

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2009, 06:51:02 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
Darius Miles was going to be our 3/4 guy. too bad he's in memphis.

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2009, 07:24:08 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
no way in hell can swift play sf. i saw in another thread someone suggested that BABY plays sf. not sure which is funnier.

the hell with swift and BBD, let's sign antoine walker, he can be a great sf off the bench. Can you imagine toine and marbury off of our bench?

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2009, 07:42:58 PM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg
The Grizzlies have waived Swift; meaning Darius Miles has usurped his position..... Meaning Darius is better.... and we cut Darius.

I don't think we want Swift.
Grab a few boards, keep the TO's under 14, close out on shooters and we'll win.

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2009, 07:45:53 PM »

Offline illantari

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 112
The Grizzlies have waived Swift; meaning Darius Miles has usurped his position..... Meaning Darius is better.... and we cut Darius.

Perchance an equally good question is: why didn't we keep Darius Miles?

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2009, 07:50:39 PM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg

Well... he wasn't playing as well when we had him, so I can kind of understand why Danny cut him, though I didn't/don't agree with the decision. But the point still holds. Swift is a bum with athletic ability. He won't ever play any D, which means he will kill us, since we're all about a team defense that relies on every player to manage their responsibilities on the defensive end. 
Grab a few boards, keep the TO's under 14, close out on shooters and we'll win.

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2009, 07:54:05 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice

Swift didn't play for the Grizzlies, it was the Nets that fired him.

Can he play the 3?  He's definitely athletic to defend the position, but I don't know anything about his offense.

Of course he can't. Nor can he defend 3s.

I definitely like the idea of signing Smith or Gooden better but it doesn't seem like that's an extreme possibility right now. Worse case I think he would be a better addition than nothing.

He couldn't break the Nets rotation, how would he find minutes here?

-------

Reading this thread made me feel sorry for Stromile. He's a former nš 2 draft pick, was supposed to  become a star, but nowadays he get cut and fans barely know who he is... kind of sad.

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2009, 08:57:35 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Hoopshype has a rumor that Swift might join the Suns.  I could have seen him flourishing with the old Suns, the Suns that got up and down the floor quickly.  But I don't know that he is a good fit with the new Shaq-suns...
Maybe Swift will catch on with Toronto?
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2009, 09:10:38 PM »

Offline steve

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 79

Also why did we sign Cassel?

I would drop JR over Pruitt.  Pruit seems like a good guy that made a bad mistake.  JR seems like he is an annoying cheerleader.