Author Topic: "Surprise" forward to be bought out?  (Read 17371 times)

Re: "Surprise" forward to be bought out?
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2009, 07:19:47 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
If it was something like Rasheed or even Joe Smith, who says Ainge wont waive Giddens or Pruitt (particularly the latter) for one of them. I'm sure he would.

« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2009, 08:17:49 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
If it was something like Rasheed or even Joe Smith, who says Ainge wont waive Giddens or Pruitt (particularly the latter) for one of them. I'm sure he would.

I would waive Pruitt.  We don't really need Gabe with House and Marbury on the team, but with Tony out and not sure if he's coming back this season, we might be able to use Giddens at some point.

And the surprise forward could be McDyess.  He already said he was going to opt out of his contract next season.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2009, 08:58:55 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
my vote goes to mcdyess.. or maybe gooden

i asked my bro for his opinion and he said Duncan  :o

« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2009, 09:27:45 AM »

Offline dano313

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 5
I need a little clarification here. 
This board has made clear (despite the numerous inaccurate reports in the media, including Sam Amick's report today) that March 1 is the deadline for a player to be WAIVED and be eligible to be picked up by another team for the postseason.  But if a player is bought out today, don't they still need to clear 48 hours to be waived?  Does the buyout time control or do they need to clear waivers by March 1?  Bottom line- can a player bought out today be elgible for the playoffs if they sign with a new team after Tuesday?

« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2009, 09:29:59 AM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 656
  • MASTER OF PANIC
if it is someone that can help waive gabe pruitt and take a run at them....i think it is either gooden or joe smith...i dont think cleveland wants gooden...and i am not so sure smith really helps the cavs all that much. IF it is sheed...do what it takes to get him...i think the draw playing with KG would be HUGE for sheed

« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2009, 09:31:11 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
This board has made clear (despite the numerous inaccurate reports in the media, including Sam Amick's report today) that March 1 is the deadline for a player to be WAIVED and be eligible to be picked up by another team for the postseason.  But if a player is bought out today, don't they still need to clear 48 hours to be waived?  Does the buyout time control or do they need to clear waivers by March 1?  Bottom line- can a player bought out today be elgible for the playoffs if they sign with a new team after Tuesday?

They have to be waived -- not clear waivers -- by March 1.  Sam Cassell didn't clear waivers until March 3 last season.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2009, 09:37:07 AM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
I would have my money on Sheed as well.
Hey BT,i had heard rumors about Sheed a few months ago going to the Cavs,maybe its true.
[/quot

Although, despite how we feel on this blog, 'more high profile than Joe Smith' could describe a lot of people.

I laughed while reading that.  Thanks, illantari.

-sw

« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2009, 09:37:10 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

They have to be waived -- not clear waivers -- by March 1.  Sam Cassell didn't clear waivers until March 3 last season.

Is there a specific time in March 1? 11:59 pm EST or something?

« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2009, 09:39:39 AM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 656
  • MASTER OF PANIC
i just don't see the pistons letting sheed go...went over to the cavs board and they are very giddy...they think it is boozer....i hope it is all talk and nobody is released and they are screwed

« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2009, 09:42:05 AM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
I would have my money on Sheed as well.
Hey BT,i had heard rumors about Sheed a few months ago going to the Cavs,maybe its true.

Although, despite how we feel on this blog, 'more high profile than Joe Smith' could describe a lot of people.

I laughed while reading that.  Thanks, illantari.

-sw
np
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 09:48:36 AM by housecall »

« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2009, 09:49:23 AM »

Offline davemonsterband

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 160
My vote's on a Raptor as little sense as that would make right now.
You're going with Marion?  Yeah that's a longshot, huh?  But it probably just as likely as Sheed.

It actually might make a tiny bit of sense from Toronto's perspective.  Is Marion likely at all to resign with Toronto after this season?  Their team is headed to lotto land and they probably wouldn't mind saving some money on their way.   But from Marion's perspective... I dunno if he'd care to take a pay cut to join a contender. 

Yeah, I figure they may shake it up, but then again, Colangelo's an idiot.
"The Best Revenge Is Massive Success"
~Ole Blue Eyes~

« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2009, 09:57:05 AM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
If Toronto cuts Marion, they lose the opportunity to do a sign-and-trade.  Now, there may not be very many S&T deals this season (who wants to take back ANY salary?), but unless Marion were willing to walk away from a big chunk of his salary I don't see why Toronto would do that.

'Sheed would be awesome, but Detroit can't do that; that's throwing the towel in on the season.  They've got too many wins to start tanking for draft position, all they'll do is tell people not to come to the games.  If they DID, Pruitt'll be cut in a heartbeat if 'Sheed wants to sign here. 

Gooden wouldn't be too much of a surprise.  I don't particularly care for him as a player, but he's above Joe Smith (and miles above Mikki Moore). 

« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2009, 10:18:31 AM »

Offline TrueGreen

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 22
I don't know if adding another player now would be fruitful for the Celtics. It's hard to bring in a player and get him in tune with the team by playoff time. Mikki Moore mentioned part of the problem is to "get the old stuff out of your head". I think we've done what we've had to do to give us our best chance at another banner. There's such a thing as having too much. And only 12 players can suit up.

« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2009, 10:20:15 AM »

Offline cornbreadsmart

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106
don't really have the right to but i would  DESPISE joe dumars forever if he waived sheed and he went to the cavs. without us, detroit does'nt win that title w/rasheed.

« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2009, 10:20:16 AM »

Offline bandonox

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 17
getting any of those guys would be a huge help with kg and scal down.... hopefully danny can get somethingdone....
furbush.tumblr.com