Author Topic: Ben Wallace broken tibia  (Read 11349 times)

Re: Ben Wallace broken tibia
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2009, 10:01:46 AM »

Online CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353
Btw, the .500 stat is also a very small sample.  They were 2-3 last year without him, and they're 2-1 this year without him.

« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2009, 10:02:42 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Honestly, this could be a blessing in disguise for the Cavs.  Wallace is a shell of what he once was.  He is capable of playing solid defense for about 6 minutes at a time, and that is about it.

He is a HUGE offensive liability.  The Rockets were able to leave him all night and double team, knowing full well he wouldn't make a basket.  This will give more time to Varejao and Hickson.  

Like someone else already pointed out...the Cavs didn't have near the opportunities at the deadline as were rumored.  They could have gotten Miller, that's about it.  I am not upset about it

The Cavs are .500 without Wallace.

Care to justify that opinion?  That's a ridiculous statement

ESPN put up the stat last night after the loss.
They won't play .500 ball this year without him.

« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2009, 10:27:13 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Honestly, this could be a blessing in disguise for the Cavs.  Wallace is a shell of what he once was.  He is capable of playing solid defense for about 6 minutes at a time, and that is about it.

He is a HUGE offensive liability.  The Rockets were able to leave him all night and double team, knowing full well he wouldn't make a basket.  This will give more time to Varejao and Hickson.  

Like someone else already pointed out...the Cavs didn't have near the opportunities at the deadline as were rumored.  They could have gotten Miller, that's about it.  I am not upset about it

Now we all believe ESPN?  I would be interested in someone actually calculating that stat.  Regardless, I am with Fafnir that Cavs won't be a .500 team going forward without Wallace...  it would be foolish to think so.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2009, 10:28:21 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

Now we all believe ESPN?

I would assume that they get statistics correct most of the time.  It's when they have to give analysis that they're questionable.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2009, 10:34:37 AM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
A stat's a stat, but it's like saying we win 80% of our games without KG, so who needs the bum!

What I think this does is increase the liklihood Joe Smith DOES push for a buyout, so that Cleveland can sign him (he gets to go back and have a good-sized role there).  Going from Big Ben to Joe I don't see as being a downgrade really at all.

« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2009, 10:40:42 AM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
statistics show the celtics being near undefeated when perk takes over 8 shots a game...

yeah, i want that happening.  ::)
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2009, 10:42:54 AM »

Offline markketch

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 16
I don't think Joe Smith asks for a buyout, unless LeBron calls him and offers Joe some nice pocket money.  From what I've heard/read, Joe isn't looking for a buyout.

Honestly, a switch from Wallace to Smith would actually be a 15-20% upgrade IMO. Ben's rebounding and defense isn't that great, and at least Smith can shoot a baseline jumper.

« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2009, 10:52:01 AM »

Offline MMacOH

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 129
Joe Smith and Andy Varejao share an agent so there is a chance Fegan (the agent) will pressure OKC into buying him out.  Joe would help the Cavs win without taking time away from AV which would be a win-win for AV when tries to get a new contract next year

« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2009, 10:56:00 AM »

Offline markketch

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 16
Dan Fegan is kind of a Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. though...so who knows?

« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2009, 11:01:14 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
statistics show the celtics being near undefeated when perk takes over 8 shots a game...

yeah, i want that happening.  ::)

If Perk takes 8 shots, that ususally means he's getting easy layups or otherwise easy looks at the basket.  I'll take that!  He doesn't usually take shots he can't make.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2009, 11:06:38 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice

I like Hickson a lot, but he still forgets to box out, misses rotations, etc. Are you really comfortable with him as the primary backup big? Especially considering that Big Z shouldn't be playing more than 25 mpg? You can go with LeBron at the 4, but in that case it'd be nice to have Pavlovic ready to fill the hole at the wings. I don't know how's he rehabilitating, but he's always been extremely slow getting back in form after an injury.

Anyway, Joe Smith missed his 6th consecutive game for the Thunder. I'm pretty sure he's going to be bought out. 

« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2009, 08:26:50 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

I like Hickson a lot, but he still forgets to box out, misses rotations, etc. Are you really comfortable with him as the primary backup big? Especially considering that Big Z shouldn't be playing more than 25 mpg? You can go with LeBron at the 4, but in that case it'd be nice to have Pavlovic ready to fill the hole at the wings. I don't know how's he rehabilitating, but he's always been extremely slow getting back in form after an injury.

Anyway, Joe Smith missed his 6th consecutive game for the Thunder. I'm pretty sure he's going to be bought out. 
Sadly so am I. It just makes too much sense. Oh well the Cavs would definitely outbid us for his services now!