Author Topic: Ben Wallace broken tibia  (Read 11387 times)

Re: Ben Wallace broken tibia
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2009, 06:54:00 AM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
He's gone for the year whether the Cavs want to admit it or not, and it takes a big chunk out of their frontcourt depth. Unlucky.

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2009, 08:15:05 AM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
tough break for them (pun intended)

I would love to see them lose a bunch of games, but I hate to see a guy get hurt
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2009, 08:15:23 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
OKC keeping Smith on their roster never made any sense. I don't buy the "having a vet around argument"....not with only a month left in a season that they are obviously thinking about draft position again more than anything else.

I'm sure they wouldn't mind having him around next if he were signed (same reason they brought him in), but with so little time left in this season, money almost certainly the motivation in regards to what to do with him.

maybe Smith and his agent are just playing hardball to get a better buyout offer....but at the end of the day, I just don't see how Smith isn't bought out.

as for Big Ben, I never like seeing players get hurt. even when it could benefit our team. I was bummed when Bynum went down. I always want teams going head to head with their best foot forward.

doesn't look like Ben will have time to get back, but I think the Cavs will end up getting Smith...

now, rooting against a buyout...that's another matter entirely. I'd be out there clipping phone lines if i thought it would help stall that deal past the March 1 deadline.

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2009, 08:23:46 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
tough break for them (pun intended)

I would love to see them lose a bunch of games, but I hate to see a guy get hurt

Ditto.

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2009, 08:24:25 AM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
If Smith is bought out, let's get him too.  The Cavs can have Marbury.

« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2009, 08:28:11 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
I broke my tibia before, I was out for 3 months. But I suspect that with all his expensive healthcare and such that it'll be half that for him.

The time he's out depends on the extension of the fracture, but  there's not a lot one can do to rush the healing of a fractured tibia. The upside is that it's the best leg fracture for a sportsman to have, there's no lingering effects whatsoever (except the loss of muscle from the rehabilitation, but that's easily recoverable). But if they say it's 3 months, I believe he won't play again this season. Though luck, I like Hickson but Ben is the anchor of their defense and it'll be a risk to force Big Z to play more minutes.

p.s. - like others, I also believe there's a good chance Smith and the Thunder agree on a buyout. I'm not certain, but it'll probably happen. This is another incentive, as the Cavs are now more willing to throw a bigger contract at Smith. 

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2009, 08:33:50 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
They weren't going to sign someone just because, and the reasoning that if the Cavs don't win it this year LeBron is gone is a joke - he still has next season in a Cavs uniform, which means they can use Wally's contract this summer.
No they can't. Wally's contract expires this season so it now has no value in the trade market.

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2009, 08:35:59 AM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
...such a pity.
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2009, 08:38:19 AM »

Offline markketch

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 16
No they can't. Wally's contract expires this season so it now has no value in the trade market.

Exactly, he's off the books which means they can use his contract (guess I could have worded it different) savings to target another player.  It gives the cap flexibility. I didn't mean use it in a trade.

« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2009, 08:40:24 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Exactly, he's off the books which means they can use his contract (guess I could have worded it different) savings to target another player.  It gives the cap flexibility. I didn't mean use it in a trade.
They are over the salary cap, they may only sign their own FAs with bird rights or use the MLE. The Cavs will have one of the highest payrolls in the league even after Wally is off the books.

« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2009, 08:46:10 AM »

Offline MMacOH

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 129
Honestly, this could be a blessing in disguise for the Cavs.  Wallace is a shell of what he once was.  He is capable of playing solid defense for about 6 minutes at a time, and that is about it.

He is a HUGE offensive liability.  The Rockets were able to leave him all night and double team, knowing full well he wouldn't make a basket.  This will give more time to Varejao and Hickson.  

Like someone else already pointed out...the Cavs didn't have near the opportunities at the deadline as were rumored.  They could have gotten Miller, that's about it.  I am not upset about it

« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2009, 09:39:54 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
Honestly, this could be a blessing in disguise for the Cavs.  Wallace is a shell of what he once was.  He is capable of playing solid defense for about 6 minutes at a time, and that is about it.

He is a HUGE offensive liability.  The Rockets were able to leave him all night and double team, knowing full well he wouldn't make a basket.  This will give more time to Varejao and Hickson.  

Like someone else already pointed out...the Cavs didn't have near the opportunities at the deadline as were rumored.  They could have gotten Miller, that's about it.  I am not upset about it

The Cavs are .500 without Wallace.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2009, 09:49:18 AM »

Offline MMacOH

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 129

Care to justify that opinion?  That's a ridiculous statement

« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2009, 09:52:25 AM »

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353

That's a misleading stat, because the Cavs overall record last year wasn't that great anyway, so for them to be .500 without him isn't much of a stretch.  But there's no way they'll be a .500 team while he's out this year.  They did fine with Big Z, and he's much more important to their team.

« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2009, 09:59:38 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632

Care to justify that opinion?  That's a ridiculous statement

ESPN put up the stat last night after the loss.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson