Author Topic: Ben Wallace broken tibia  (Read 11394 times)

Ben Wallace broken tibia
« on: February 26, 2009, 10:38:53 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Ben Wallace got injured. Cavs getting thin up front.

[I fixed the subject]
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 10:49:55 PM by guava_wrench »

Re: Ben Wallace broken foot
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 10:44:58 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
I thought it was one of the bones in his shin area. Either way, this is a big hit to the Cavs, but far from something they can't overcome.  Yao roasted Little Ben tonight.

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 10:47:18 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Lets hope this doesn't lead to Joe Smith deciding he does want a buyout to join his old team.

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 10:48:15 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
Lets hope this doesn't lead to Joe Smith deciding he does want a buyout to join his old team.
Tick tick tick. That idea is running out of time.

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 10:48:43 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
With Big Z better stay healthy. Otherwise, Lebron will be playing a lot of PF.

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 10:49:51 PM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 997
  • PEACE
I thought it was one of the bones in his shin area. Either way, this is a big hit to the Cavs, but far from something they can't overcome.  Yao roasted Little Ben tonight.

You're right RAcker, it is his calf bone.

Re: Ben Wallace broken tibia
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 11:18:27 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Wonder what our good friend MMac and the rest of the Cavalier faithful are thinking about Danny Ferry's decision not to trade Wally for some front court depth right about now?

(Tick. Tick. Tick)

Is that the clock running down on the amount of time left in the LeBron years in Cleveland if they don't win it all this year, which would surely coincide with Danny Ferry's time in Cleveland as well if LeBron gets disenchanted because Ferry didn't help his club one bit during this season's trade deadline?

Just wondering!!

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2009, 12:01:45 AM »

Offline markketch

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 16
A lot of you fail to understand or consider that perhaps there was no trade to be made that the Cavs wanted? 

There was a good interview with Danny Ferry the day after the trade deadline where he discussed their activity, and a big piece of what he said was "a lot of the names you heard weren't available".  Just because you read something from a "source" on HoopsHype, RealGM, etc. doesn't mean it's a possibility.

They weren't going to sign someone just because, and the reasoning that if the Cavs don't win it this year LeBron is gone is a joke - he still has next season in a Cavs uniform, which means they can use Wally's contract this summer.

As for losing Ben, it's really just a loss of some on-then-off defense and a new rotation to get used to.  We'll see how the likes of JJ Hickson, Andy & Darnell Jackson step up.

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2009, 12:13:37 AM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
They can weather this storm. They should start Varejao & hickson. That way Big Z dominate teams 2nd squad & have him finish games. With Lebron James anything is possible.

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2009, 12:18:58 AM »

Offline markketch

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 16
Hearing 8-10 weeks now on Cleveland radio. Second set of x-rays revealed a longer break.

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2009, 12:46:23 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
A lot of you fail to understand or consider that perhaps there was no trade to be made that the Cavs wanted? 

There was a good interview with Danny Ferry the day after the trade deadline where he discussed their activity, and a big piece of what he said was "a lot of the names you heard weren't available".  Just because you read something from a "source" on HoopsHype, RealGM, etc. doesn't mean it's a possibility.

They weren't going to sign someone just because, and the reasoning that if the Cavs don't win it this year LeBron is gone is a joke - he still has next season in a Cavs uniform, which means they can use Wally's contract this summer.

As for losing Ben, it's really just a loss of some on-then-off defense and a new rotation to get used to.  We'll see how the likes of JJ Hickson, Andy & Darnell Jackson step up.
Considering the cap will be lower in Lebron's FA year, we might not see as many star players move as we expected. The lower the cap, the less money teams have to sign FAs. Probably means a lot of guys resigning with current teams.

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2009, 01:03:58 AM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg

Considering the cap will be lower in Lebron's FA year, we might not see as many star players move as we expected. The lower the cap, the less money teams have to sign FAs. Probably means a lot of guys resigning with current teams.

Does that help the Celtics or hurt them? The rich teams won't get richer.... but they won't get poorer either....
Grab a few boards, keep the TO's under 14, close out on shooters and we'll win.

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2009, 01:24:05 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Bummer for the Cavs (and Cavs fans) about Wallace.  The reality is that he just doesn't contribue as much as he used to.  Varejao will get more PT, as will Hickson in the short term, and Cavs will redouble efforts to pry Joe Smith loose and/ or sign Robert Horry.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2009, 02:37:03 AM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
Unfortunately for Celts fans this will give Hickson some more time.  Wallace is past him prime and then some, Hickson is hungry and raw, eerily similar to Wallace circa Detroit in their glory years.
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2009, 06:28:05 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
I broke my tibia before, I was out for 3 months. But I suspect that with all his expensive healthcare and such that it'll be half that for him.