Author Topic: Rebuild and Stay Competitive (For those who enjoy this type of thing only)  (Read 5049 times)

Offline Michael Anthony

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 117
I have been thinking about this for a while, and may post separately in more detail, but the key to any rebuilding effort is acquiring a big man. Rondo, Perk, and Young KG Replacement is one decent wing away from contending - and maybe that wing is already with the team!

I propose sending Ray to Golden State for Maggette, Crawford, and Randolph.

From a cap perspective, Scal/TA come off in time to resign Rondo. Crawford comes off in time to resign Perk. Maggette comes off in time to resign Walker. Garnett comes off in time to resign Randolph. In this scenario, you expect House to opt out (instead of riding the bench), and the C's to resign Pruitt for $700k. This all works very well cap-wise.

This team makes a lot of sense on the court too:

Rondo / Crawford / Pruitt
Maggette / Giddens / Allen
Pierce / Walker
Garnett / Randolph
Perkins / Scalabrine

Maybe look for a Skinner/Magloire type third center and an undersized power forward in the draft to round out the bench. Our 1-8 are elite and our 9-12 give Doc some matchup options and solid depth.

Are you insane? We won a championship & you guys already want to dismantle the team. You want to trade a HOF for bunch of losers. This team is build just right, we have our superstars (KG, PP, & Ray) and some of the best role players (Perk, Rondo, Powe, & BBD). We can worry about rebuilding after our 3peat.

Ainge probably kicking his PC hearing how celtics fan want to kick out the soon to be All-time 3point leader.

Read this thread: http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=26323.0

Expecting a wing player in his mid-thirties to maintain career best productivity is insane; trading a wing player in his mid-thirties for an equally productive wing players in his late-twenties, a very good bench scorer in his late-twenties, and a productive 19 year old (Looks at his Feb & Mar numbers) with the potential is just good management.

The fact that it makes business sense contract wise is just gravy. Of course this all takes place after we raise Banner 18.
"All I have to know is, he's my coach, and I follow his lead. He didn't have to say anything in here this week. We all knew what we had to do. He's a big part of our family, and we're like his extended family. And we did what good families do when one of their own is affected." - Teddy Bruschi

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
I have been thinking about this for a while, and may post separately in more detail, but the key to any rebuilding effort is acquiring a big man. Rondo, Perk, and Young KG Replacement is one decent wing away from contending - and maybe that wing is already with the team!

I propose sending Ray to Golden State for Maggette, Crawford, and Randolph.

From a cap perspective, Scal/TA come off in time to resign Rondo. Crawford comes off in time to resign Perk. Maggette comes off in time to resign Walker. Garnett comes off in time to resign Randolph. In this scenario, you expect House to opt out (instead of riding the bench), and the C's to resign Pruitt for $700k. This all works very well cap-wise.

This team makes a lot of sense on the court too:

Rondo / Crawford / Pruitt
Maggette / Giddens / Allen
Pierce / Walker
Garnett / Randolph
Perkins / Scalabrine

Maybe look for a Skinner/Magloire type third center and an undersized power forward in the draft to round out the bench. Our 1-8 are elite and our 9-12 give Doc some matchup options and solid depth.

Are you insane? We won a championship & you guys already want to dismantle the team. You want to trade a HOF for bunch of losers. This team is build just right, we have our superstars (KG, PP, & Ray) and some of the best role players (Perk, Rondo, Powe, & BBD). We can worry about rebuilding after our 3peat.

Ainge probably kicking his PC hearing how celtics fan want to kick out the soon to be All-time 3point leader.

Read this thread: http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=26323.0

Expecting a wing player in his mid-thirties to maintain career best productivity is insane; trading a wing player in his mid-thirties for an equally productive wing players in his late-twenties, a very good bench scorer in his late-twenties, and a productive 19 year old (Looks at his Feb & Mar numbers) with the potential is just good management.

The fact that it makes business sense contract wise is just gravy. Of course this all takes place after we raise Banner 18.

You are right at some point we have to rebuild, and financially it will be difficult retaining or resigning role players since the big3 takeup 76% of our team salary. At the same time ainge didn't make those moves for 1 or 2 year experiment, this experiment will probably last 3 to 4 year experiment at the very least.

As long as we repeat this year, next season we will have to make thrifty decisions again before the upcoming 2010/2011 cap relief
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 09:46:11 AM by Change »