Author Topic: David Falk does not paint a pretty picture about workstoppage.  (Read 6621 times)

David Falk does not paint a pretty picture about workstoppage.
« on: February 23, 2009, 07:47:50 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/features/rumors

How extreme? Falk said he believed David Stern, the commissioner, would push for a hard salary cap, shorter contracts, a higher age limit on incoming players, elimination of the midlevel cap exception and an overall reduction in the players' percentage of revenue. And, Falk said, Stern will probably get what he wants.

"The owners have the economic wherewithal to shut the thing down for two years, whatever it takes, to get a system that will work long term," he said in an extensive interview to discuss his new book. "The players do not have the economic wherewithal to sit out one year."

I don't think the league could bounce back from two years off.

Re: David Falk does not paint a pretty picture about workstoppage.
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 07:57:02 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
A hard cap would ultimately be a good thing, I think, but it would absolutely stifle player movement in the short-term.  What would the league do about the teams that are already tremendously far over the cap?

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 08:09:24 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
This thing was just starting to really hum too. Just starting to really get goin.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 08:15:13 AM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
I would be mad if the league halted for that period of time. Wouldn't increasing the luxury tax be a way of avoiding a war with the union? We are already seeing teams shy away from signing players when on the cusp of the LT. I also think GM's across the league have finally gotten a grasp of this current system and are making less mistakes and the mistakes they do make turn into treasure at the end of the contract in the form of a valuable expiring contract... it's interesting to me.

Overall, I think a hard-cap would be great... but not at the cost of losing a year or two of basketball.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 08:18:15 AM »

Offline SShorefan 4.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 186

Is David Falk even still involved?
Call me a sap, but I love my kids more than anything!

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 08:33:26 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
And get rid of fully guarantee contracts. 

Go the way of signing bonuses and the rest being unguarantee. 

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 08:34:35 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
Fire Stern!
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2009, 08:50:24 AM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
if the nba is stupid enough to shut down they may never recover...people are different today when it comes to their entertainment.

i could honestly say that if the nba does this i'd probably give up on it...the game has suffered since the late '90s and i don't enjoy it as much as i once did.

a work stoppage would be a horrible thing and Gestapo Stern but open his eyes...
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2009, 09:13:32 AM »

Offline bostonfan23

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 115
  • I just might be a basketball machine. -MS
A hard cap would ultimately be a good thing, I think, but it would absolutely stifle player movement in the short-term.  What would the league do about the teams that are already tremendously far over the cap?

The only thing they could do is let the contracts expire.

I think you would see some big time guys jump to Europe if a work stoppage happened - and some wouldn't come back.

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2009, 09:19:16 AM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter

I think you would see some big time guys jump to Europe if a work stoppage happened - and some wouldn't come back.

I don't know what all the ramifications would be, but they could always install a hard cap, then give teams another one-time-amnesty deal where they can cut one contract off their cap (but make them have to pay the player the cash)
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2009, 09:31:04 AM »

Offline jimmehx

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 166

I think you're right on the money. As LBJ would be. Didn't he say he had seen figures like 50 mil thrown around for him to play overseas? or was that Kobe.
Either way I think many of the stars WOULD ship out.

"Uhhh... Wife makes chicken..." - Brian Scalabrine 2007.

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2009, 10:12:19 AM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
I'm generally against hard caps as I don't ever want a team to have to let a good draft pick go because they can't fit the player in under the cap (like gilbert arenas for golden state a few years ago).

I just don't get why the owners need to be protected from themselves. If you can't afford a player, don't give them a ridiculous contract. Stop bidding against yourselves. There was no real good reason why Maggette's offer started at 10 million and was so long, no one forced Philly to lock up an injured and older Brand, no forced LAC to offer a huge deal to a player everyone knew had motivation issues and would clash with their coach. Last year, Orlando was the only team with cap space, but for some reason they agreed to do a sign and trade for rashard lewis, even though they would have gotten him anyway for a shorter and cheaper deal. The salary cap is based on a percentage of league revenue, so if the owners begin making less, the cap drops, and the players make less. I don't buy the owners' whining for one second; they love to try to twist outside circumstances to justify increasing their share of profits. You know what? you can't run a profitable team and sign A-list guys? Don't sign them. If it's really an issue, no teams will be signing ridiculous contracts and the contracts will drop naturally. Look at your budget, set a limit, and stick to it. And if a franchise isn't viable in your city, the league should contract it. Somehow baseball does ok with vastly different payrolls; The NBA is an improvement in terms of competitive balance, but the team minimum salary is quite low, so it's not like anyone is making the teams spend more than they can afford.

I think the NFL model is absolutely ridiculous. why does there need to be parity? parity is boring. Writing about a crapshoot league is boring and becoming obsolete. Reading about a crapshoot league is boring. some level of consistency and predictability is good for a sport.

As someone who cares about labor issues, I don't care how much money is being thrown around; owners have a ton of money and players have a ton of money, so i hate hearing about how players shouldn't have guaranteed deals because they are rich. um, the owners are richer. And if you are going to make contracts voidable by the team, I say you need to make contracts voidable by the player as well; if a player is exceeding his contract he should be able to void it and sign for an increase elsewhere. How would teams like that?

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2009, 10:17:24 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
I'm generally against hard caps as I don't ever want a team to have to let a good draft pick go because they can't fit the player in under the cap (like gilbert arenas for golden state a few years ago).

I just don't get why the owners need to be protected from themselves. If you can't afford a player, don't give them a ridiculous contract. Stop bidding against yourselves. There was no real good reason why Maggette's offer started at 10 million and was so long, no one forced Philly to lock up an injured and older Brand, no forced LAC to offer a huge deal to a player everyone knew had motivation issues and would clash with their coach. Last year, Orlando was the only team with cap space, but for some reason they agreed to do a sign and trade for rashard lewis, even though they would have gotten him anyway for a shorter and cheaper deal. The salary cap is based on a percentage of league revenue, so if the owners begin making less, the cap drops, and the players make less. I don't buy the owners' whining for one second; they love to try to twist outside circumstances to justify increasing their share of profits. You know what? you can't run a profitable team and sign A-list guys? Don't sign them. If it's really an issue, no teams will be signing ridiculous contracts and the contracts will drop naturally. Look at your budget, set a limit, and stick to it. And if a franchise isn't viable in your city, the league should contract it. Somehow baseball does ok with vastly different payrolls; The NBA is an improvement in terms of competitive balance, but the team minimum salary is quite low, so it's not like anyone is making the teams spend more than they can afford.

I think the NFL model is absolutely ridiculous. why does there need to be parity? parity is boring. Writing about a crapshoot league is boring and becoming obsolete. Reading about a crapshoot league is boring. some level of consistency and predictability is good for a sport.

As someone who cares about labor issues, I don't care how much money is being thrown around; owners have a ton of money and players have a ton of money, so i hate hearing about how players shouldn't have guaranteed deals because they are rich. um, the owners are richer. And if you are going to make contracts voidable by the team, I say you need to make contracts voidable by the player as well; if a player is exceeding his contract he should be able to void it and sign for an increase elsewhere. How would teams like that?

I love the NFL model.  It is all about the team.  Get the best players you can on the team.  Get rid of the useless ones.

It is good for fans.  Bad teams can get better quicker without having to wait for bad contracts to run out. 

Players have to work harder or get replaced.

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2009, 10:22:18 AM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
agree with wide load (TP!) on the nfl model...it's the best one out there.

players get rewarded with instant money (signing bonus)...teams stay competitive because of the hard cap on the actual salary value...bad teams can turn around quicker...you're rewarded for smart decisions and killed for bad ones.

teams that decide to cut a player (with years left) have to then eat that signing bonus over a prorated amount of seasons left on the deal.

and the players have to EARN their money each season.

everybody wins...which is the reason why the NFL is the MOST popular sport out there.  (afterall, the nfl draft is already being talked about on a daily basis and it doesn't even happen for another month and a half).
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2009, 10:31:31 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Players have to work harder or get replaced.

Under your model (which I hadn't thought of before, and am warming up to), there wouldn't be ridiculous situations like Stephon Marbury's.  I would look forward to that.
Celtics fan for life.