Author Topic: Celtics offered Mikki Moore a contract!  (Read 19463 times)

Re: Celtics offered Mikki Moore a contract!
« Reply #90 on: February 23, 2009, 02:29:17 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Yes, he has a decent jumper.

« Reply #91 on: February 23, 2009, 02:33:45 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Something above the 31% he is shooting on his jumpers. Show me many bench PF or Centers that have no inside game at all that are shooting worse than 31% from the floor.

Just out of curiosity, does wherever you got that number from have month-by-month splits?  Because he was atrocious at the beginning of the season, but I feel like the last couple of months he's been much more consistent.

Also, for someone who's seen Moore play much, does he have a decent jumper, or any outside game?  I watched him a little when he was in Detroit, but haven't really seen him since.

Yeah, he's been improving his jumper. That number is obviously skewed by the fact he was ordered to force his jumper even when it wasn't falling. In the last 10 games he shot at 40%.

Moore also has been shooting 40% of his jumpers. Probably comparable shooters at this point of their careers.

« Reply #92 on: February 23, 2009, 02:36:16 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
Something above the 31% he is shooting on his jumpers. Show me many bench PF or Centers that have no inside game at all that are shooting worse than 31% from the floor.

Just out of curiosity, does wherever you got that number from have month-by-month splits?  Because he was atrocious at the beginning of the season, but I feel like the last couple of months he's been much more consistent.

Also, for someone who's seen Moore play much, does he have a decent jumper, or any outside game?  I watched him a little when he was in Detroit, but haven't really seen him since.

It is from 82 games and they don't break down the months as far as I can tell, but if you look at his month by month total fg% it shows you roughly what you are looking for.

October .167
November .393
December .341
January .481
February .426

His overall year total fg% is .413, so it is about 10 points higher than just his jumpers. Using those numbers he would indeed have been better in January and February, but 3 of the 9 games were really the reason it is that high. He was solid in January, but he appears to be regressing to his more normal numbers until yesterday. Hopefully it gives him some more confidence and he gets hot again. We know Doc is going to put him out there, so if he is he might as well be hitting it.

To put it into perspective, Ray's % on jumpers is 56% and KG is 45%. Powe's, who we all know shouldn't be shooting many jumpers is barely lower at 26%. Perk's is 40%, so that shows you how bad BBD's 31% is...

« Reply #93 on: February 23, 2009, 02:37:03 PM »

Offline Hoops

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 5
BBD is big and he tries hard.  So he can be effectiveness in some very limited situations.  But that is about it.  He just isn't an NBA basketball player in my opinion.  And that jumper?  It isn't reliable.  Some days he get lucky and they go in.  In the heat of the playoffs, I wouldn't have much faith in him to hit those shots. 

Indeed, I think our biggest need right now is to have a big with a reliable jumper.  We need that more than length IMO.  That's why I would prefer Smith.  But I understand the need to go after Moore given the situation.

at what % does he need to hit it for it to be "realiable?"

Right now, he's hitting it at a decent clip, more than "realiable" enough for a bench player. If he was a starter, sure, he doesn't hit it enough.

But he isn't, and if he did everything as phenominaly as some of his detractors wanted him to, then he would start and wouldn't have fallen to the pick in the draft that he did.

Shocking news alert--- bench players often aren't as skilled as starters, more at 11.
I have no problem with Baby - in fact, I like his contributions. I also understand Doc's desire to have him shoot the 15 footers. But to say that Baby is hitting them at a decent clip is quite the exaggeration. I admit that I don't get to see every game. But I probably see 1-2 games per week and my sense is that Baby hits those jumpers at about a 20% clip.

If he can't hit them in the playoffs, we're in trouble. So I'm all for giving him all the practice he needs right now. But so far, the results aren't terribly encouraging.

« Reply #94 on: February 23, 2009, 02:49:34 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
Some of you guys are blatantly showing that you did not watch Mikki play with the Nets. The guy will look great with our stars.

One career year playing with Kidd does not make a player. 

Well, how good's he going to look playing with Rondo?  ;)

one good game against a team that plays no defense is hardly considered a success... ::)

Oh, you're really going to hate today's Babble, Andy...

I'm not opposed to this signing, I prefer to have Moore than to just keep the current roster. However, he's another player best suited to be the 9th man in a good team. And how many of those we already have? I'd be more comfortable with a couple of true quality players sitting on the bench.

Thanks for saving me the typing, cordobes.  That summed up y exact thoughts far more concisely than I would have.

-sw

steve...that's why it's called "babble"... ;)

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/babble
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #95 on: February 23, 2009, 02:57:23 PM »

Offline gpds69

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
If Mikki Moore is suppose to replace the roll of PJ Brown from last years playoffs team, we have reason to be scared.

« Reply #96 on: February 23, 2009, 03:06:52 PM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85
Bulpett's saying it's pretty much in stone!!!

« Reply #97 on: February 23, 2009, 03:10:32 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
I'm going to lock this thread...Defer all comments to the Mikki is signed thread
Yup