Author Topic: Celtics offered Mikki Moore a contract!  (Read 19464 times)

Re: Celtics offered Mikki Moore a contract!
« Reply #75 on: February 23, 2009, 12:01:38 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
My Timeline of Thought on this:

Before Moore is signed
Still holding out hope that the Celtics can sign Marbury and Smith. Hoping that Moore is a better player than his numbers indicated. Hope that a title run will invigorate him, and playing for a great team will allow him to play at a high level.

The First Five Games of the Moore Era
I will hold out hope that they get either Marbury or Smith to fill out the next roster spot. I will quickly make a decision as to whether I like Moore on Boston. If he starts out hot I will be behind him for the entire season. If he starts out cold I will say give him some time to adjust.

After Five Games of Moore Era
I will complain about how Moore sucks and we couldn't sign anyone better.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

Re: Celtics offered Miki Moore a contract!
« Reply #76 on: February 23, 2009, 12:14:38 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I'd be more comfortable with a couple of true quality players sitting on the bench.

You and me both, cordobes. You and me both.

Re: Celtics offered Miki Moore a contract!
« Reply #77 on: February 23, 2009, 12:19:27 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
I myself like the Mikki Moore pickup if it happens. He should be adequate against lengthy centers, kinda like the ones the Lakers have and the Cavs. Against strong ones, we still have Baby in there that has done a fairly good job against them. I really don't see so much of the down side some of you are seeing. It'll be up to the coaching staff to find the appropiate matchups.

If someone better becomes available, then go for it. But Mikki is really no different than many of the suggested players that have been brought up throughout the season by people here.
I agree here, Moore has LENGTH, davis & powe don't.  Even if we only need moore for guarding z for 10-15 minutes a game in 1 series its worth it.  This was why we got sam last year for 1 series against detroit if house wasn't able to bring up the ball.  Sam didn't help lets hope Moore can.  I'd rather smith but if he's staying put this is a good decision  we need length at pf/c backup spot.

« Reply #78 on: February 23, 2009, 12:30:49 PM »

Offline celty86

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 5
I don't think Ainge misread the Posey situation at all. He knew exactly what he was doing. If he could of gotten him cheap again he'd still be here. He doesn't want 7 mil on the payroll for a bench player three or four years from now. It wouldn't surprise me if he is already planning on having as much payroll flexibility as possible to try and entice Kevin Durant to Boston.

« Reply #79 on: February 23, 2009, 01:16:09 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Bird in the last ladies and gentlemen.  That is what this is about. And I think it is the right play because afterall, even if Smith IS released, Cle would offer him more money than anyone else anyway. 

And Moor could definitely help and will improve because he is on this team.  Look at it this way, the ONLY reason BBD is in the NBA right now is because he plays for Bos.  He is complete garbage and really has almost no basketball skills to speak of.  BBD is effective at times simply for two reasons: other teams pay no attention to him AND all we ask him to do is defend and hustle.  I think Moore could do that just as well plus, he has a more reliable jumper. 

The bottom line is that we need to get someone in here to make sure that BBD never sees the light of day.  He needs to stay on the bench with his sealbelt firmly fastened.     

« Reply #80 on: February 23, 2009, 01:29:52 PM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85
droop, Baby came in and actually stopped Shaq in his tracks yesterday. The guy effectively defends Centers and that is a very valuable thing to have. Doc is letting him take jumpers now so that they can be an asset in the playoffs.

« Reply #81 on: February 23, 2009, 01:32:51 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
I love me some hyperbole.

« Reply #82 on: February 23, 2009, 01:48:35 PM »

Offline goCeltics

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 68
we will still have a spot open if moore does come, and if we want marbury i guess we can always cut gabe

« Reply #83 on: February 23, 2009, 01:49:19 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
BBD is big and he tries hard.  So he can be effectiveness in some very limited situations.  But that is about it.  He just isn't an NBA basketball player in my opinion.  And that jumper?  It isn't reliable.  Some days he get lucky and they go in.  In the heat of the playoffs, I wouldn't have much faith in him to hit those shots. 

Indeed, I think our biggest need right now is to have a big with a reliable jumper.  We need that more than length IMO.  That's why I would prefer Smith.  But I understand the need to go after Moore given the situation.

« Reply #84 on: February 23, 2009, 01:52:44 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
BBD is big and he tries hard.  So he can be effectiveness in some very limited situations.  But that is about it.  He just isn't an NBA basketball player in my opinion.  And that jumper?  It isn't reliable.  Some days he get lucky and they go in.  In the heat of the playoffs, I wouldn't have much faith in him to hit those shots. 

Indeed, I think our biggest need right now is to have a big with a reliable jumper.  We need that more than length IMO.  That's why I would prefer Smith.  But I understand the need to go after Moore given the situation.

at what % does he need to hit it for it to be "realiable?"

Right now, he's hitting it at a decent clip, more than "realiable" enough for a bench player. If he was a starter, sure, he doesn't hit it enough.

But he isn't, and if he did everything as phenominaly as some of his detractors wanted him to, then he would start and wouldn't have fallen to the pick in the draft that he did.

Shocking news alert--- bench players often aren't as skilled as starters, more at 11.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #85 on: February 23, 2009, 01:53:24 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

While I disagree, and think that BBD is an NBA player, but like any role player, he struggles when asked to do go outside his strengths (which are position defense, setting picks, and moving the ball on offense), I absolutely agree that we do need a big with a jumper.

More directly, I think what we need more than anything is one more two way player.  Right now we have a bunch of guys who are strong on one end, and weak on the other end, but very few that can play both ways.  This is why Joe Smith would be such a huge pickup, because he is average or better on both ends of the court.

« Reply #86 on: February 23, 2009, 01:56:54 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas

Right now, he's hitting it at a decent clip, more than "realiable" enough for a bench player. If he was a starter, sure, he doesn't hit it enough.

But he isn't, and if he did everything as phenominaly as some of his detractors wanted him to, then he would start and wouldn't have fallen to the pick in the draft that he did.

Shocking news alert--- bench players often aren't as skilled as starters, more at 11.
In the playoffs, you better believe we'd be squeezed into having BBD take those shots.  Whether or not the offense would function wiith him on the floor would depend on him hitting those shots.  I just don't see it.  Sure, he makes them sometimes.  But we are talking about wide open jump shots from 15 feet.  On many nights, they just clank of the rim and look awful.  That is the product of not being a good shooter from any range beyong two feet.  He is what he is and I don't think that will change in the near future.

« Reply #87 on: February 23, 2009, 02:08:13 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Those jumpers... I mean, look at the entire NBA -- they're not reliable. They miss more often than they hit. It must be that there are no NBA players in the Association. Oh wait...
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #88 on: February 23, 2009, 02:17:58 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127

Something above the 31% he is shooting on his jumpers. Show me many bench PF or Centers that have no inside game at all that are shooting worse than 31% from the floor. I am not arguing that he isn't an NBA player, he is, but he is at the low end of that pool IMO. If it wasn't for his weight allowing him to body up other teams bigs he wouldn't be in the NBA. He doesn't bring much else. Commits a lot of fouls on his picks, can't finish down low. Has no reliable jumper, can't rebound very well... He really doesn't bring a whole lot to the table other than he has a likable personality. Not sure why people are so high on his contributions. Once in awhile, like yesterday, he scores a little and looks pretty good. About once in every 10-12 games isn't enough though.

« Reply #89 on: February 23, 2009, 02:26:36 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Something above the 31% he is shooting on his jumpers. Show me many bench PF or Centers that have no inside game at all that are shooting worse than 31% from the floor.

Just out of curiosity, does wherever you got that number from have month-by-month splits?  Because he was atrocious at the beginning of the season, but I feel like the last couple of months he's been much more consistent.

Also, for someone who's seen Moore play much, does he have a decent jumper, or any outside game?  I watched him a little when he was in Detroit, but haven't really seen him since.