Author Topic: Celtics offered Mikki Moore a contract!  (Read 19448 times)

Re: Celtics offered Mikki Moore a contract!
« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2009, 10:15:45 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Some of you guys are blatantly showing that you did not watch Mikki play with the Nets. The guy will look great with our stars.

One career year playing with Kidd does not make a player. 

« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2009, 10:19:14 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Some of you guys are blatantly showing that you did not watch Mikki play with the Nets. The guy will look great with our stars.

What if it was a fluke year? And frankly, he wasn't really that impressive - his stats look good because he had a great shooting percentage, although mostly due to a very high eFG% on jump-shots.

Anyway, his shot-blocking with the Nets wasn't better than mediocre. He just isn't a shot-blocker or a good defensive player (or a good rebounder, by that matter, he merely hustles and that hides his defensive ineptitude.

He'll be a fan favourite though, he's the type of player it's easy to root for.

« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2009, 10:21:40 AM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176

Well, how good's he going to look playing with Rondo?  ;)

« Reply #48 on: February 23, 2009, 10:23:45 AM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127

Rondo isn't even close to the passer that Kidd is.

« Reply #49 on: February 23, 2009, 10:25:15 AM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85
Just look at Perk. He gets dunks and putbacks. Moore might be a better option in late game situations because of his jumpshot. He is a better finisher than Perk, too. Mikki Moore has a darn good jumper and will help a lot in our team defense.

« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2009, 10:25:40 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

Rondo isn't even close to the passer that Kidd is.

He is not the Kidd of that season in terms of making teammates look good.

« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2009, 10:25:59 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Just look at Perk. He gets dunks and putbacks. Moore might be a better option in late game situations because of his jumpshot. He is a better finisher than Perk, too. Mikki Moore has a darn good jumper and will help a lot in our team defense.

But he is not a good defender.

« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2009, 10:27:17 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I am of the belief that "a bird in hand" is the best bet.  Of course I would prefer Joe Smith or Rasho if either is bought out.  But it is unclear either will be bought out.  of the *available* big men, I think Mikki is the best.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #53 on: February 23, 2009, 10:27:59 AM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.

one good game against a team that plays no defense is hardly considered a success... ::)
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #54 on: February 23, 2009, 10:28:52 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
I am of the belief that "a bird in hand" is the best bet.  Of course I would prefer Joe Smith or Rasho if either is bought out.  But it is unclear either will be bought out.  of the *available* big men, I think Mikki is the best.

While I agree he is the best out there now, I don't think he is good enough to take minutes at the C away from Davis or Powe.  He just becomes the 12th man.

« Reply #55 on: February 23, 2009, 10:29:07 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
HE'S WEAK! no defense, he has the same issues POB has, except he's older.

« Reply #56 on: February 23, 2009, 10:30:05 AM »

Offline acieEarl

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 47
What do you guys expect? Guys getting released is basically like picking out of the trash barrel. Yea the O'bryant move was a strike out but it didn't hurt the team in the long run. We got lucky with getting PJ Brown last year. If someone else decent comes available I sure Danny will make a move.

I'll take Moore for 5-10 minutes a game. Gotta learn that defense though.

Re: Celtics offered Miki Moore a contract!
« Reply #57 on: February 23, 2009, 10:31:53 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
(...)
I think Moore, playing with the other 4 starters could be extremely effective in that he plays a tough, physical game and his strengths are rebounding and shot blocking.

I've seen this often repeated these last few days. But Moore is not a good shot-blocker. Never was and never will be.

MM has career averages of 0.6 blocks per game, 1.1 per 36 minutes and a Blk% of 2.3%. And he has been declining, so this season he's averaging 0.3, 0.7 and 1.4%. These are not even average numbers.

Just for the sake of comparison, Joe Smith, who isn't a shot-blocker either, averages 0.7 per game, 1.4 per 36, 2.8 blk% this season - basically doubling Moore's numbers.

Scot Pollard averaged 0.7 per game, 1.5 per 36, 2.9 blk%. Even the extremely undersized Leon Powe is currently a better shot-blocker than Mikki Moore.

I never said he was good at it just that it is one of his strengths. And given the quality of the rest of his game, it is one of his strengths. he's not a great player or even a really good player. But he is physical and his best strengths are rebounding and shot blocking. He may not be a very good shot blocker, but it is one of the better parts of his very limited game.

« Reply #58 on: February 23, 2009, 10:32:50 AM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
What do you guys expect? Guys getting released is basically like picking out of the trash barrel. Yea the O'bryant move was a strike out but it didn't hurt the team in the long run. We got lucky with getting PJ Brown last year. If someone else decent comes available I sure Danny will make a move.

I'll take Moore for 5-10 minutes a game. Gotta learn that defense though.

many years ago the nfl had something called "plan b free agency" - some of you older guys might remember this.  it was funny, because you're bidding on guys that no one wants.

kinda like Mikki Hair...
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

Re: Celtics offered Miki Moore a contract!
« Reply #59 on: February 23, 2009, 10:33:20 AM »

Offline ThreadCrasher

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 26
I really don't see how it makes sense to grade an off-season before a season is over.  If we had lost to the Lakers last year, everyone would've been screaming that Danny didn't put enough peices around the Big Three to win a title.

Well people are saying that this year, but what happens if, and I know this is mind-blowing, the actually win it again this year??  Can you really say a championship team had a bad off season??

Of course you can.  You don't judge decisions simply on results.  Some times, good decisions lead to poor results (due to outside factors), and other times bad decisions lead to good results.  As the saying goes, hindsight is 20/20.  That's why I think it's fair to judge things contemporaneously. 

To be fair, if you look at the decisions contemporaneously, being fiscally conservative was a great decision; not all great decisions have sex appeal.  

Second, to say bad decisions lead to this teams good results is crazy.  The teams success is due to amazing decisions being made two summers ago.