Author Topic: Celtics offered Mikki Moore a contract!  (Read 19472 times)

Re: Celtics offered Miki Moore a contract!
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2009, 08:01:54 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
That's unfortunate.

So...  are people willing to admit that Danny's "plan" wasn't brilliant after all, and that the off-season was a mess?  I think he's a pretty good GM, too, and the title last season was magnificent.  This year, though, has been...  lackluster.

Well, what center that was available for cheap during the offseason is better then Mikki Moore?

It didn't need to be a center, but it *did* need to be an impact player.  Moore is no better than BBD or Powe; he's only an upgrade over POB.

Danny downgraded the team, but many people were saying "yeah, but the season isn't over yet; Danny will upgrade the roster during the season".  The argument was that if we got Joe Smith -- an impact role player, to the extent that such exists -- then everything would be okay.

Well, it looks like that may not happen.  It looks like we're going to replace Posey, P.J., and Sam with Mikki Moore and a roster spot to be named later.  People absolutely cannot consider that to be a good off-season by Ainge.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2009, 08:08:35 AM »

Offline TatteredOnMySleeve

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
I think hes an upgrade over Powe and BBD to be honest, if only for the simple fact hes taller than 6'7... his numbers for the kings mean nothing to me, they were expecting to much out of him, he would fit much better with a contender off the bench, which is why all of them are interested in Moore...including the lakers who just dumped chris the worst center in the league mihm(who some around here are intersted in)
Oh and I honestly think Mikki could do a better job on gasol (if we even play the lakers agian) then the two stubs who Pau can just shoot over, or even perk...
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2009, 08:12:48 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
That's unfortunate.

So...  are people willing to admit that Danny's "plan" wasn't brilliant after all, and that the off-season was a mess?  I think he's a pretty good GM, too, and the title last season was magnificent.  This year, though, has been...  lackluster.
Yes. But his options were much more limited. Once he decided to wait for Posey to search for that fourth year it left him with far fewer options than I liked.

My hope is that this contract is a minimum offer and that it will not preclude us from pursuing Joe Smith were he to become available. Joe Smith is enough of a superior player that I hope they'd pay to have both if he were to shake lose.

It was actually pretty easy to see in the summer what's going on here. We're watching our pennies and nickels, and that's the priority, not a title.
Sure is easy to be mad about it when they aren't your nickels. The team committed a ton of money and to being above the luxury tax for last year and the next several to try and win. To criticize every subsequent move as penny pinching seems to be missing the big picture. The one that includes three max level players.

Money is a factor in their decision making, but I firmly believe winning is their priority.

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2009, 08:13:20 AM »

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353
I really don't see how it makes sense to grade an off-season before a season is over.  If we had lost to the Lakers last year, everyone would've been screaming that Danny didn't put enough peices around the Big Three to win a title.

Well people are saying that this year, but what happens if, and I know this is mind-blowing, the actually win it again this year??  Can you really say a championship team had a bad off season??

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2009, 08:13:35 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I think hes an upgrade over Powe and BBD to be honest, if only for the simple fact hes taller than 6'7... his numbers for the kings mean nothing to me,
Sadly the numbers for his entire career suck.

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2009, 08:16:20 AM »

Offline SShorefan 4.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 186

Jeff posted the following and its what I thought of immediately:

I wonder if this means they got any further signals from the Thunder or Joe Smith about him not being bought out.
Call me a sap, but I love my kids more than anything!

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2009, 08:18:30 AM »

• Don Chaney
I really don't see how it makes sense to grade an off-season before a season is over.  If we had lost to the Lakers last year, everyone would've been screaming that Danny didn't put enough peices around the Big Three to win a title.

Well people are saying that this year, but what happens if, and I know this is mind-blowing, the actually win it again this year??  Can you really say a championship team had a bad off season??

I think alot of people forget that last year the whole entire year was whether or not the celtics "4-12 were good enough" and that the lakers bench was praised before the finals and they were favored...this year announcers and anylsysts try to act like we had the world greatest bench last year and they knew it...actually we had to win the title before anyone acknowledged it and JVG, Breen and Jackson routinely ripped the bench even in the finals
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2009, 08:18:57 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

Of course you can.  You don't judge decisions simply on results.  Some times, good decisions lead to poor results (due to outside factors), and other times bad decisions lead to good results.  As the saying goes, hindsight is 20/20.  That's why I think it's fair to judge things contemporaneously. 

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2009, 08:22:37 AM »

• Don Chaney

Jeff posted the following and its what I thought of immediately:

I wonder if this means they got any further signals from the Thunder or Joe Smith about him not being bought out.

exactly, but I am already sick of Joe smith..i mean either ask for a buyout or shut up, and the way people around here have already adopted him as a personal binki is also annoying, the guy is better than moore but nothing special

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2009, 08:28:23 AM »

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353

Of course you can.  You don't judge decisions simply on results.  Some times, good decisions lead to poor results (due to outside factors), and other times bad decisions lead to good results.  As the saying goes, hindsight is 20/20.  That's why I think it's fair to judge things contemporaneously. 

I thought the whole point of a season was to win a championship??  There's no way you're going to tell me that if the Celtics win the title this year, they had a bad off season.  Unless they signed huge, crippling contracts, it just doesn't make sense.  And they haven't done that.

I'm not saying Danny has put the best team together that he possibly could've.  And truthfully, we have no way of knowing that.  We don't know what players could've been had.  Chris Andersen and a number of other players would've been better than O'Bryant in hindsight, and maybe a guy like Matt Barnes would've been a better pickup than TA.  But we don't know which players had a desire to come to Boston.

« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2009, 08:33:55 AM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
I see where Roy is coming from and I'm frustrated with what we are seeing at this moment (a lack of proven supporting cast)

It is possible to have a bad offseason and still have the players overcome it to win the title. 

However, I'm still willing to give Danny a free pass until we fail to win a title.   We have one of the top records in the league and might have had the same number of losses with Posey in hand (or a reasonable substitute).

We just won't know how the pie will turn out until we take it out of the oven in June.
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2009, 08:40:04 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
Don't want Mikkie Moore.  I'd rather wait for Joe Smith.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2009, 08:43:08 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Considering that many here wanted someone like Elson, and where quite vocal about it, I really don't see what problem you guys have with adding someone like Mikki Moore.

« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2009, 08:45:52 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Considering that many here wanted someone like Elson, and where quite vocal about it, I really don't see what problem you guys have with adding someone like Mikki Moore.

Elson was a roll player off the bench for a title winning team.

He is a better defender.

What the Celtics really need out of a backup C is the ability to get hands in the face of the other teams C.  Moore, while tall, seems to allow those players to flourish. 

« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2009, 08:47:31 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

Elson was a roll player off the bench for a title winning team.

He is a better defender.

What the Celtics really need out of a backup C is the ability to get hands in the face of the other teams C.  Moore, while tall, seems to allow those players to flourish. 

Funny. I thought that the main problem with Elson was that he was a poor defender, and why often he got benched by Pop.