Author Topic: Celtics offered Mikki Moore a contract!  (Read 19465 times)

Celtics offered Mikki Moore a contract!
« on: February 23, 2009, 04:26:10 AM »

Offline thebirdman

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 31
The Celtics are hoping to fill their need for a big man by winning the Mikki Moore sweepstakes.

Moore's agent, Mark Bartelstein, confirmed the team has offered the center a contract, and said several other teams have done the same thing, although he wouldn't divulge their names.

Moore is expected to make his decision today after clearing waivers and becoming an unrestricted free agent. "A lot of teams are very excited about him, so it's a tough decision for Mikki," said Bartelstein.

If Moore opts to go elsewhere, the Celtics would be interested in Oklahoma City center/forward Joe Smith if he is bought out of his contract. Smith is the more talented player, but there is a question whether he will be bought out or whether he even wants to be.

Link: http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/articles/2009/02/23/some_moore_intrigue/
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 09:50:22 AM by Redz »

Re: Celtics offered Miki Moore a contract!
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 05:11:30 AM »

Offline greenwise

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 136
"Some league executive believe Moore is headed to the Boston Celtics as part of an arrangement tied to the Celtics sending the Kings Sam Cassell and cash in a trade last week."

http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf ... ers_a.html

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 05:33:40 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
"Some league executive believe Moore is headed to the Boston Celtics as part of an arrangement tied to the Celtics sending the Kings Sam Cassell and cash in a trade last week."

???

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 06:00:39 AM »

Offline jimmehx

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 166

Whaaaaat? Can someone explain to me how that would work?

"Uhhh... Wife makes chicken..." - Brian Scalabrine 2007.

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 06:04:46 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

I have no clue. 

The Kings can't go to him and say "we will waive you only if you promise to sign with the Celtics"

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 06:56:52 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315

But if they knew he wanted to play for him the C's could have nudged them into a release/buyout.  Too bad they couldn't have swung a deal for Joe Smith!

I have no clue. 

The Kings can't go to him and say "we will waive you only if you promise to sign with the Celtics"

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 07:00:02 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
That's unfortunate.

So...  are people willing to admit that Danny's "plan" wasn't brilliant after all, and that the off-season was a mess?  I think he's a pretty good GM, too, and the title last season was magnificent.  This year, though, has been...  lackluster.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2009, 07:04:46 AM »

Offline MVP

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35
That's unfortunate.

So...  are people willing to admit that Danny's "plan" wasn't brilliant after all, and that the off-season was a mess?  I think he's a pretty good GM, too, and the title last season was magnificent.  This year, though, has been...  lackluster.

Well, what center that was available for cheap during the offseason is better then Mikki Moore?

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2009, 07:18:39 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
That's unfortunate.

Yes. But his options were much more limited. Once he decided to wait for Posey to search for that fourth year it left him with far fewer options than I liked.

My hope is that this contract is a minimum offer and that it will not preclude us from pursuing Joe Smith were he to become available. Joe Smith is enough of a superior player that I hope they'd pay to have both if he were to shake lose.

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2009, 07:49:34 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
That's unfortunate.

Yes. But his options were much more limited. Once he decided to wait for Posey to search for that fourth year it left him with far fewer options than I liked.

My hope is that this contract is a minimum offer and that it will not preclude us from pursuing Joe Smith were he to become available. Joe Smith is enough of a superior player that I hope they'd pay to have both if he were to shake lose.

It was actually pretty easy to see in the summer what's going on here. We're watching our pennies and nickels, and that's the priority, not a title.

Moore's better than nothing - O'Blount - but that's about it. His game, such as it ever was, is on the decline. He won't make an appreciable difference in this group's play on the floor.

And if exhuming the rotting, fetid corpse of Russell is Danny's next move, then the whole season's a significant blow to the "Danny has a grand master plan" crowd.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2009, 07:50:22 AM »

Online CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353
I would much rather have Joe Smith, but if we waited to see if Danny passed on Moore and Smith never got bought out, or worse yet signed with another contender, everyone would be on Danny for passing up Moore.

While Moore doesn't excite me too much, I can't think of too many free agent centers during the off season that would've excited me more.  Only one that comes to mind is Chris Andersen, and we don't know if the Celtics ever really stood a chance to sign him.

I assume the Celtics can still sign Smith if he eventually is bought out, and could then cut Moore.  Although I doubt that would be worth the risk of ticking off an agent like Mark Bartelstein.  But also, the Celtics have 2 open roster spots, so while it would be best to get a big and a point guard, or a big and a wing, if no point or wing comes along that could help us, it wouldn't hurt to have both Moore and Smith on the roster.  And while it would show that Danny really missed the boat with his 1st round pick, he can still always waive Giddens as well.

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2009, 07:50:59 AM »

Offline Mogreen17

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 53
Our friend Miki has truly been around town making it his 10th team in 10 years should he join the C's.

Not sure if that is an encouraging sign

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2009, 07:58:32 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Well, at least Moore led the league in personal fouls last year, holds opposing centers to 60.9% shooting,and averages fewer blocks per minute than Brian Scalabrine.  That's something, I guess.  We've found our Pau stopper.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2009, 07:59:12 AM »

Offline TatteredOnMySleeve

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
Our friend Miki has truly been around town making it his 10th team in 10 years should he join the C's.

Not sure if that is an encouraging sign

Joe smith has also been with 10 different teams, theyre both journeymen
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2009, 08:00:58 AM »

Offline TatteredOnMySleeve

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
Well, at least Moore led the league in personal fouls last year, allows opposing centers to 60.9% shooting,and averages fewer blocks per minute than Brian Scalabrine.  That's something, I guess.  We've found our Pau stopper.

lol
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce