Author Topic: Celtics (45-12) at Nuggets (37-19) 2/23  (Read 51429 times)

Re: Celtics (45-12) at Nuggets (37-19) 2/23
« Reply #255 on: February 24, 2009, 12:00:12 AM »

Offline mainevent

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 203
I agree with the Tony Parker comparison right now for RR. He and Tony are scary similar (down to the number) except RR is a better rebounder.

Tony is a much better jump shooter though. I hate to say it too but Tony might be a better penetrating PG, that guy gets so many layups, Rondo and he are very similar though. I think Rondo is a better team PG whereas Tony is a better pure scorer.

I bet money next year that jumper falls consistently.
"Mosquitoes refuse to bite me....purely out of respect"

« Reply #256 on: February 24, 2009, 12:01:04 AM »

Offline Scalablob990

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 83
  • The REAL Pau Gasol
Hmmm I didn't like that they kept feeding Powe the ball and clearing out for him. Luckily that worked for tonight, but we won't get so lucky next time.
True Celtic = Leon Powe

Bring back the show!!!!

« Reply #257 on: February 24, 2009, 12:06:00 AM »

Offline expobear

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 27
Powe's career high is better than that.

@HOU and Game 2 of the finals to name a couple.

I think he had 26 in a game last year.  The guy probably meant 16 is a season high.

« Reply #258 on: February 24, 2009, 12:09:49 AM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
I agree with the Tony Parker comparison right now for RR. He and Tony are scary similar (down to the number) except RR is a better rebounder.

Tony is a much better jump shooter though. I hate to say it too but Tony might be a better penetrating PG, that guy gets so many layups, Rondo and he are very similar though. I think Rondo is a better team PG whereas Tony is a better pure scorer.

That would be great, then he really would be near impossible to guard, especially with a team full of All Star options that can not be left alone by other teams.

I do think one summer he is going to come back and his jump shot is going to look different, as in more like a traditional jumper, and then we are all going to realize he figured it out.

« Reply #259 on: February 24, 2009, 12:11:07 AM »

Offline Toine43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 219
  • "Spare change?"
Hmmm I didn't like that they kept feeding Powe the ball and clearing out for him. Luckily that worked for tonight, but we won't get so lucky next time.
??? They've been doing that all year...

The Celtics consider Powe their best low post scorer. Although he doesn't always make it look pretty, he's the third most efficient bench player at getting to the free throw line, and finishes at an average to above average percentage. My only complaint (and it's an important one) about his post game is that he needs to learn how to pass out of a double team. That would make him much more valuable.

Eddie House - for THREEEEEEE!

« Reply #260 on: February 24, 2009, 12:23:01 AM »

Offline Scalablob990

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 83
  • The REAL Pau Gasol

The Celtics consider Powe their best low post scorer. Although he doesn't always make it look pretty, he's the third most efficient bench player at getting to the free throw line, and finishes at an average to above average percentage. My only complaint (and it's an important one) about his post game is that he needs to learn how to pass out of a double team. That would make him much more valuable.
??? Toine you can correct me if i am forgetting, but this is the first time when it stuck out that they WANTED him to take it in. Everyone cleared out completely, I don't recall that much in the past games. I remember a lot of him getting the ball having House at the perimeter to pass it out to, but still taking it in. I'm confused since Doc is strictly against letting Powe take it in since whenever he does it he usually gets pulled after it.
True Celtic = Leon Powe

Bring back the show!!!!

« Reply #261 on: February 24, 2009, 12:24:48 AM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1673

That would be great, then he really would be near impossible to guard, especially with a team full of All Star options that can not be left alone by other teams.

I do think one summer he is going to come back and his jump shot is going to look different, as in more like a traditional jumper, and then we are all going to realize he figured it out.

I'd add that any edge Parker has over Rondo as a slasher is because of the jumpshot.  Defenders try to give Rondo several feet of space to keep him from driving past them, and he does it anyway.  You can't guard Parker like that because he has the ability to pull up and hit the shot, and that makes it even harder to contain the penetration.  When Rondo adds that consistent pull-up jumper - he's showing signs that he's putting some serious time into that - he'll be as good or better than Parker as a penetrator.  I believe he's already better in most other areas - specifically passing, rebounding and defense.

« Reply #262 on: February 24, 2009, 12:31:38 AM »

Offline Toine43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 219
  • "Spare change?"

??? Toine you can correct me if i am forgetting, but this is the first time when it stuck out that they WANTED him to take it in. Everyone cleared out completely, I don't recall that much in the past games. I remember a lot of him getting the ball having House at the perimeter to pass it out to, but still taking it in. I'm confused since Doc is strictly against letting Powe take it in since whenever he does it he usually gets pulled after it.
I don't know what you saw, but them running basically an iso for Leon is something they do a lot. I think it is assumed that when Leon has it in a low post iso that the shooters clear out and line up around the perimeter waiting for a potential pass. It is then Leon's job to choose whether to pass or take it to the rack. If Leon has good position and he is not being doubled, Doc would always want him to try and score the ball on his own.

Eddie House - for THREEEEEEE!

« Reply #263 on: February 24, 2009, 12:51:11 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

He and Chris Paul both average 5.3 rebounds per game, so I would say that they are the two best rebounding PG's in the NBA.
Chris Paul is doing it with a team that plays at a faster pace and he also plays about 4 minutes more per game. Rondo is a better rebounding PG by a reasonable margin. His rebound rate is higher at basketballreference.com to back this up.

Jason Kidd is still the best, it helps to be 6' 4".

« Reply #264 on: February 24, 2009, 01:19:52 AM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg
Nuggets = swackfest

Nuggets also = swainfest

neither of those terms should be defined in this forum.
Grab a few boards, keep the TO's under 14, close out on shooters and we'll win.