Author Topic: Unconfirmed Reports of FA joining the C's  (Read 9958 times)

Re: Unconfirmed Reports of FA joining the C's
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2009, 11:55:10 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
Here a list of current free agents from RealGM.  I don't know how accurate it is.
http://www.realgm.com/src_freeagents/curr/

Between now and March 1 I expect a thread on each one of those players explaining why he's the  "missing piece" for the Celtics.

The reality is that there is no missing piece.  The Celtics will defeat any team in the league in a series with reasonably competent, impartial officiating, and none of these free agents are likely to make a diference, nor are the players that everyone hopes will become free agents like Marbury and Smith.

I note in passing that Kedrick Brown is tearing up the D-league. 

Elden Campbell is available and we're here talking about Joe Smith and Stephon Marbury?!

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2009, 12:03:26 AM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
Thanks Cman.  Now let me tell you what I really think.

David Stern and his marketeers want a Kobe-LeBron final.  So I fear that, no matter how well the Celtics play or which free agents Ainge is able to sign to fill those two roster spots, the Celtics won't make it out of the EC finals.  They're just as doomed as the 2002 Sacramento Kings.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 12:08:59 AM by Brickowski »

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2009, 12:10:48 AM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
Danny Manning and Shawn Kemp are free Agents, problem solved. ;)

Side note: Is anyone else surprised that mateen Cleeves can't find a job as an insurance PG this season?

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2009, 12:19:03 AM »

Offline orrzor

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 58

David Stern and his marketeers want a Kobe-LeBron final.  So I fear that, no matter how well the Celtics play or which free agents Ainge is able to sign to fill those two roster spots, the Celtics won't make it out of the EC finals.  They're just as doomed as the 2002 Sacramento Kings.

But Brick, Stern could've done that last year too if he had such control. Anyway Celtics-Lakers is probably as big a draw as Kobe-Lebron wouldnt you think?

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2009, 12:30:12 AM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego

But Brick, Stern could've done that last year too if he had such control. Anyway Celtics-Lakers is probably as big a draw as Kobe-Lebron wouldnt you think?

Agreed about the former, orrzor.  As far as pure national popularity is concerned, I'd guess LBJ the better draw.  The league has focused its marketing on stars, and there aren't two bigger active basketball names on the planet than Kobe and LBJ at this point.

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2009, 12:45:07 AM »

Offline twinbree

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 170

I think the Celtics had the novelty of renewing the Celtics/Lakers rivalry on their side last season but now that the league's been there done that it looks like its Lebron/Kobe or bust for them this season.
Tommy: He's got a line about me. Tell him the line.

Mike: Everybody 60 or over knows Tommy as a player. Everybody 40 or over knows Tommy as a coach. Everybody 20 or over knows Tommy as a broadcaster. And everybody 10 or under thinks he's Shrek.

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2009, 12:47:38 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Here a list of current free agents from RealGM.  I don't know how accurate it is.

Between now and March 1 I expect a thread on each one of those players explaining why he's the  "missing piece" for the Celtics.

The reality is that there is no missing piece.  The Celtics will defeat any team in the league in a series with reasonably competent, impartial officiating, and none of these free agents are likely to make a diference, nor are the players that everyone hopes will become free agents like Marbury and Smith.

I love how you prepare us for official blaming if we lose. That's kinda sad.
I agree with most of your post. With the physical style we play, if the Refs call the game poorly then we lose (as we saw last week against Utah). I also was a large Kedrick fan when he was on the Celtics.
However, PJ Brown did help us last year and to a lesser extent so did Sam did too. It is unreasonable to think that a Joe Smith and Stephon Marbury wouldn't make the difference to help the Celtics pull out even a poorly officiated game.

If you mean poorly=not giving us every call, I would agree.

What is hilarious is how people are saying we can't win a poorly officiated game -- as if we have never benefited from bad calls! Of course, we do, but the fans of the opposing teams are the ones who can see those.

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2009, 12:58:03 AM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego

I agree with most of your post. With the physical style we play, if the Refs call the game poorly then we lose (as we saw last week against Utah). I also was a large Kedrick fan when he was on the Celtics.
However, PJ Brown did help us last year and to a lesser extent so did Sam did too. It is unreasonable to think that a Joe Smith and Stephon Marbury wouldn't make the difference to help the Celtics pull out even a poorly officiated game.

What is hilarious is how people are saying we can't win a poorly officiated game -- as if we have never benefited from bad calls! Of course, we do, but the fans of the opposing teams are the ones who can see those.

Well said, ombudsman guava.   ;)

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2009, 02:17:29 AM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg

Well said, ombudsman guava.   ;)

-sw

But hasn't the officiating this year been uncommonly bad? Like, its almost impressive how often I walk away from a game thinking, "wow, that was incredibly terrible officiating. That cost us an untold number of opportunities due to:

the fouls that sent our best players to the bench,
the ridiculous manhandling allowed for the other team, but not for the C's,
the easy baskets that could've been made in transition if referees hadn't been calling so many touch fouls, putting us in the bonus and the other team at the line,
and the the momentum lost due to all of the above."

I find myself this year walking away from more games shaking my head than ever before.

The Portland game
The Lakers game
The jazz game
the golden state game.... I'm sure there are more but I'm very tired. All in all, It seems worse than ever before.
Grab a few boards, keep the TO's under 14, close out on shooters and we'll win.

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2009, 07:30:43 AM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423

I think the Celtics had the novelty of renewing the Celtics/Lakers rivalry on their side last season but now that the league's been there done that it looks like its Lebron/Kobe or bust for them this season.

That's exactly the point.  Sure, you can win when there's bad officiating, but not when most of the calls go against you.

Cleveland has been unbeatable at home (except by the Lakers). The officials will make sure that they continue to be unbeatable at home. 

« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2009, 07:45:52 PM »

Offline Jay_Diggles

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 15
The Portland game was real bad...were they game the basket!  So bad!
Diggles

« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2009, 07:57:37 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

Brick -- hope you have cleared a space on the shelf for that Oscar...

I know what you mean RE: Kobe/LeBron, but I think you are being a little paranoid.  Even if not, there can always be unforeseen events (LeBron breaks his wrist? -- not hoping for it, just saying....).
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2009, 07:59:14 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Maybe Russell's agent called the C's but there is zero chance that we sign him.  He has been washed up for years.  Never mind a B-list, this guy isn't on anybody's list, period.  Because someone wants to play in the NBA, that doesn't make him an NBA player.  If that were the case, then I'm going to have my agent call Danny.

« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2009, 08:14:01 PM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason

Brick -- hope you have cleared a space on the shelf for that Oscar...

I know what you mean RE: Kobe/LeBron, but I think you are being a little paranoid.  Even if not, there can always be unforeseen events (LeBron breaks his wrist? -- not hoping for it, just saying....).

Bizarro-Brick: the Kobe/LeBron final will be in 2009-2010, in the heart of the Deprecession.  It will be the first NBA finals to be played strictly on the internet, in order to maximize global exposure and drive up the NBA's bottom line.

-Brickstradamus
God bless and good night!

« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2009, 08:24:59 PM »

Offline kenmaine

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 25
  • Boston 104, New York 59

Agreed. And it's not being paranoid, it's just the way it is, and it sucks. The league definitely would like Kobe-LeBron in the finals, and the refs know that.
I remember two games being literally stolen from Sacramento in that series, and at least until Donaghy actually confirmed that it was fixed, people called the Kings a bunch of crybabies for complaining about the officiating, like they should have just "played through it" and won anyhow.
And I do agree about the FAs. C's are capable with no additions. Precluding injuries of course, but that goes for any team.