Author Topic: Unconfirmed Reports of FA joining the C's  (Read 9936 times)

Unconfirmed Reports of FA joining the C's
« on: February 22, 2009, 10:06:20 PM »

Offline Jay_Diggles

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 15
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2009/feb/20/nuggets-report-relief-billups/

looks as our brass may have found our big...

Can anyone say Byron Russel??

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/articles/2009/02/22/success_in_transition/?page=4

I'd have to say those to do not make us a championship team....maybe longer...but not better???  We need Smith and Starbury...How long do we wait?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 10:13:55 PM by Roy Hobbs »
Diggles

Re: Reports of FA joining the C's
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 10:11:44 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2009/feb/20/nuggets-report-relief-billups/

looks as our brass may have found our big...

Can anyone say Byron Russel??

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/articles/2009/02/22/success_in_transition/?page=4

I'd have to say those to do not make us a championship team....maybe longer...but not better???  We need Smith and Starbury...How long do we wait?

Moore and Russell doesn't make me sad

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

Re: Reports of FA joining the C's
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 10:13:34 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Neither one of those reports is definitive.  I highly doubt that we sign Russell, and Moore is our second choice.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

Re: Unconfirmed Reports of FA joining the C's
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 10:20:04 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I am hoping both of these are false.

Come on Cleveland.  Sign Moore the day before Smith gets bought out.

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 10:26:04 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 654
  • MASTER OF PANIC
very interesting...i think moore would actually do very well in boston...he gives the cavs fits....russell is prolly the LAST wing on the list....hope danny gives him a health check

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 10:30:18 PM »

Offline Jay_Diggles

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 15
These FA do not excite me...and I do not feel like they make us a better favorite to win the east.  Smith and Starbury are the best options that can improve our team...

I like Big Baby play tonight in PHX...I was at the game and he hit 3 outside jumpers.  He was just to short to disrupt any other bigs shot.  Gabe looked lost in he small amount of time.  I wish Doc let the bench play with 3 minutes left.  Giddens is a real good cheerleader..up every play cheering his teammates on.  
Diggles

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2009, 10:39:49 PM »

Offline cool breeze

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 100
Well, Russell and Moore are clearly on everybody's B-list so it will be interesting to see if the C's can land Smith and Stephon once it's all said and done.

If nothing else maybe we could pull Thurl Bailey out of the mothballs?

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 10:42:25 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
wasn't byron russell a mediocre player in his prime... and washed up 10 years ago?

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2009, 10:46:18 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
wasn't byron russell a mediocre player in his prime... and washed up 10 years ago?

Well, not exactly, but he was already approaching decrepitude when he was with that Lakers team that lost to the Pistons in the finals.

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2009, 10:46:53 PM »

Offline SCBirdman

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 31
I am still holding out for Joe Smith and Starbury.  I do have to say, however, that I think Moore would be a good fit for the C's. I'm sure he would play harder and be more proficient than he was in Sac-town. Let's face it, Sac was basically a D-League team this season.

Moore can block shots and hit a 15 ft. jump shot. Maybe he is over-rated in post defense, but I'm sure KG would get him inline in a hurry.

That said, Joe Smith is the obvious choice. Hoepfully with his being moved to the inacitve list means that a buyout is right around the corner.

If not Starbury, then who for the perimeter FA? My guess is Bobby Jackson, although I would like to see Bonzi Wells. We need to give PP some rest. Ray needs some as well, particularly after this KGless stretch we are going to go through for the next 2-3 weeks.

I'm with Roy, PP is logging WAY too many minutes. Doc, please give Billy Walker some run or sign Bonzi. If Billy can step up, then it makes it easier and more justified to go for anotehr PG so Eddie can play exclusively at the 2G.

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2009, 10:48:31 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Is it wrong that when I read one of the articles and it mentioned Sabonis's team being in $ trouble that I thought I'd rather have him than Moore or Russell?

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2009, 10:57:01 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
Here a list of current free agents from RealGM.  I don't know how accurate it is.
http://www.realgm.com/src_freeagents/curr/

Between now and March 1 I expect a thread on each one of those players explaining why he's the  "missing piece" for the Celtics.

The reality is that there is no missing piece.  The Celtics will defeat any team in the league in a series with reasonably competent, impartial officiating, and none of these free agents are likely to make a diference, nor are the players that everyone hopes will become free agents like Marbury and Smith.

I note in passing that Kedrick Brown is tearing up the D-league. 

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2009, 11:13:58 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Here a list of current free agents from RealGM.  I don't know how accurate it is.

Between now and March 1 I expect a thread on each one of those players explaining why he's the  "missing piece" for the Celtics.

The reality is that there is no missing piece.  The Celtics will defeat any team in the league in a series with reasonably competent, impartial officiating, and none of these free agents are likely to make a diference, nor are the players that everyone hopes will become free agents like Marbury and Smith.

I love how you prepare us for official blaming if we lose. That's kinda sad.

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2009, 11:25:21 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

I love how you prepare us for official blaming if we lose. That's kinda sad.
I agree with most of your post. With the physical style we play, if the Refs call the game poorly then we lose (as we saw last week against Utah). I also was a large Kedrick fan when he was on the Celtics.
However, PJ Brown did help us last year and to a lesser extent so did Sam did too. It is unreasonable to think that a Joe Smith and Stephon Marbury wouldn't make the difference to help the Celtics pull out even a poorly officiated game.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2009, 11:28:24 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

Brick -- that was brilliant, and made my night.  An Oscar for you!
Celtics fan for life.