Author Topic: Give Walker and/or Giddens some minutes  (Read 29075 times)

Give Walker and/or Giddens some minutes
« on: February 22, 2009, 05:34:03 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Consider this the "we can't keep playing Pierce and Ray 40 minutes (especially not when we're winning by 18 with five minutes left on the first night of a back-to-back)" thread.

We're playing short-handed right now, with KG out and Tony done for the regular season.  We've got two very athletic rookies on on bench who are capable of playing the swing positions, at least one of whom was heralded for his ability to play NBA-level defense straight out of college.

So, what gives?  Why aren't Walker and/or Giddens getting any time at all?  You can't tell me that, right now, Walker isn't at or near Tony Allen's level.  He deserves no playing time at all, while Doc runs Pierce into the ground?

It's being speculated that one of the factors leading to KG's injury was that he got no rest, and kept playing on a knee that was slightly balky.  Paul has complained of aches and pains throughout the season; there's no need to risk having the same thing happen to him.  Here's Paul's thought on the subject:

Quote from: Paul Pierce on February 19, 2009
“I’d like to see us do something,” said Pierce. “I think it would help us. You don’t want to burn out me and Ray (Allen) coming down the stretch to where we’re having to play heavy minutes, especially going into the playoffs.”

Paul gets it.  Why doesn't Doc?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 05:40:31 PM by Roy Hobbs »

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

Re: Give Walker and/or Giddens some minutes
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 05:36:04 PM »

Offline illantari

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 112
Amen Roy.  Can't agree more.  I don't see what the fear is.  That we might have a few problematic 5 minute stretches because Walker/Giddens is in?  Isn't it better to have that now than a worn down PP/RA during the playoffs?

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 05:40:24 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
I totally agree.  That's why I started a thread earlier about either letter Walker play or signing Bonzi or some other vet if Doc isn't going to trust the rookie.  Pierce must have someone backing him up.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 05:46:23 PM »

Offline twinbree

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 170
It seems the bench is already giving up leads half the time anyway I can't imagine how bad it can be to play those two a few minutes out there with Rondo. At the very least it allows Paul and Ray to rest a bit. Especially with KG out they can't afford to run those two to the ground.
Tommy: He's got a line about me. Tell him the line.

Mike: Everybody 60 or over knows Tommy as a player. Everybody 40 or over knows Tommy as a coach. Everybody 20 or over knows Tommy as a broadcaster. And everybody 10 or under thinks he's Shrek.

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 05:49:46 PM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
Doc can sometimes be stubborn...rephrase that, he has always been stubborn...The Utah game is a classic example of Doc running PP to the ground, 45 min. in that game and he was bricking jumpers since the last 4 min mark.

B Walker surely would be ain't that bad for at least 2-3 min now would it?, Let him develop Doc please....Its the regular season for cryin out loud..enough of these 40 min games by PP and Ray....Heaven forbid we lose these two on some injury agrevated by too much playin time.

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 05:56:33 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
TP4U. Thanx for the thread Roy, it echoes a couple of my rants about minutes and bench use.

Today was another great example where we were up by a bunch and Walker should have been brought into the game for Paul or Ray. I wouldnt have had a problem with Giddens coming in either, but there has got to be some reason why Doc will not let this guy even sniff the court.
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2009, 05:57:14 PM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
At the VERY least, Walker brings toughness and Giddens brings some athleticism.  Might as well give em a run and see how they do.  What does Doc expect these guys to show him in practice?  They're going up against Ray Allen and Paul Pierce, does he really think they're going to be that successful against them?  Now putting one out there with a couple other starters or putting them out there against 2nd stringers, I could definitely seeing these guys being okay.
do it

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 05:59:13 PM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
Is there any way we could get O'Bryant back? The Celtics should be starting Pruitt, Giddens, Walker, Davis, and O'Bryant. We need to rest our elite level athletes who have been playing basketball all their lives. If Pierce and Allen continue to play that five extra minutes a game they will surely suffer injuries.

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2009, 06:01:16 PM »

Offline The Walker Wiggle

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 758
  • Pretend Hinkie
Paul gets it.  Why doesn't Doc?

Or put another way, Roy Hobbs gets it. Why doesn't Doc?

(Whoops, wrong thread.)

I enthusiastically co-sign the above. In fact, was just signing in, following fun win to watch in Phoenix, to complain  (sheepish :-[) about the lack of minutes for Walker and Giddens. If franchise is being cautious with Garnett, and possibly ceding home court to Cleveland in the process, why not also save Pierce (who's looking half a step slow) and Allen for the playoffs, while giving the rookies a good look now (15+ mpg even).

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2009, 06:02:14 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
 ;D

Anyway, I'm most certainly behind giving Walker more minutes. He's clearly the better of the two draft picks, and it's time to give him some burn unless help is immediately on the way.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2009, 06:03:18 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
Is there any way we could get O'Bryant back? The Celtics should be starting Pruitt, Giddens, Walker, Davis, and O'Bryant. We need to rest our elite level athletes who have been playing basketball all their lives. If Pierce and Allen continue to play that five extra minutes a game they will surely suffer injuries.

Again:

Quote from: Paul Pierce
You don’t want to burn out me and Ray (Allen) coming down the stretch to where we’re having to play heavy minutes, especially going into the playoffs.”

If Paul Pierce thinks minutes are a problem, I think it's worthy of discussion without your sarcastic retort.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2009, 06:03:57 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
although i have been wanting Walker for a while, i'm going to sort of disagree here.

I think Doc really wanted this game to make sure we didn't get into a KG-less losing streak and i do see the value of that. we want to stay the best we can in the hunt for HC advantage. we don't want to just concede that.

I'm gonna hold off until the Clipps game to start calling for more Walker mins because I think we  would like to have a good showing against DEN tomorrow night.

I expect to see a little more Pruitt or Walker tomorrow, but i still think Doc will run a pretty short rotation in that game too - especially if we look to be in any trouble.

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2009, 06:05:58 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
although i have been wanting Walker for a while, i'm going to sort of disagree here.

I think Doc really wanted this game to make sure we didn't get into a KG-less losing streak and i do see the value of that. we want to stay the best we can in the hunt for HC advantage. we don't want to just concede that.

I'm gonna hold off until the Clipps game to start calling for more Walker mins because I think we  would like to have a good showing against DEN tomorrow night.

I expect to see a little more Pruitt or Walker tomorrow, but i still think Doc will run a pretty short rotation in that game to - especially if we look to be in any trouble.

Was this game really in doubt when we were up by 20 points or so with six minutes left?  Put in Walker for Pierce, and if the lead gets down to 10 or 12, think about putting Pierce back in.  Don't, however, play Pierce 44 minutes in a fast tempo blowout without at least attempting to spell him.

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2009, 06:07:58 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
Again:

You don’t want to burn out me and Ray (Allen) coming down the stretch to where we’re having to play heavy minutes, especially going into the playoffs.”

If Paul Pierce thinks minutes are a problem, I think it's worthy of discussion without your sarcastic retort.

Roy,

I'm sorry, I'm confused. How can you have a discussion without a sarcastic retort? I've never done it.

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2009, 06:12:33 PM »

Offline Hoyo de Monterrey

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 669

Again:

KPC thats definitely legit... Keeping Pierce in 44 minutes against the run and gun Suns (who have abandoned defense even more then under D'Antoni if possible and are looking to make up for lost time with their track meet offense) was stupid IMHO, especially with the lead. I know Doc wanted the win without KG, but you can't sacrifice Pierce for it down the stretch, especially without a solid backup SF on the bench.
"Let me call him," Floyd said.

The man shook his head. "O.J. doesn't give out his cell," he said. "He'll call you."