Author Topic: 10 Day Contracts  (Read 3003 times)

10 Day Contracts
« on: February 22, 2009, 11:28:36 AM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
I wonder why we dont consider some guys for 10 day contracts? There are a few free agents out there that can help us in spot minutes. I will leave it to Danny and Doc to find them. I understand the need for chemistry but we are shorthanded now and we are only talking minimal dollars. It's not like we need anyone for big minutes. The most any of them would see is 10-12 mpg max, unless there is a blowout.

Now that we have 2 open roster spots, I see no reason not to evaluate Bonzi Wells or another wing player. I think Bonzi jumps at the chance to prove himself. I see the same thing for Mikki Moore. If any of them looks like a keeper, we lock them up for the rest of the season.

If Joe Smith and/or Marbury shake loose and really want to come here, we can cut one of the 10 day guys loose a lot easier than a buyout. Not filling these slots at least temporarily would lead one to believe that Danny Ainge thinks he has something lined up. The problem is, with the injuries to KG and Tony Allen, we are down two rotation players.

The other possibility to consider is (shudder) we are in a dollar saving mode. The only reason I say this is with the recent rumor that we will 'partake' of the leagues 'bailout' money in the form of a loan.
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

Re: 10 Day Contracts
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 11:29:48 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Here's Doc's opinion:

Asked about picking up someone on a 10-day contract to help fill Garnett’s roster void, Doc Rivers said the team would decline.

“If a guy was that good, it wouldn’t be a 10-day deal,” the coach said. “You know what I mean? If there was somebody out there that good that could replace Kevin, he’d be playing for somebody already.

“So we’re still looking at the same group of guys out there, whoever they are. And if we can get them tomorrow, we’ll take them. If we can’t, we’re just going to keep working on getting them. But we’re not going to make a mistake for a short-time gain and lose something that may help us for a long time.”

The theory seems to be that if a player is good enough to help a championship contender, then some other team will offer a guaranteed deal.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 11:32:39 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Only bad players are looking for 10-day contracts. I'm pretty sure that even a player like Mikki Moore won't sign one of those. Unless our injury list gets bigger, there's no big reason to sign one of those players, except if we can't land a better player.

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 11:33:29 AM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
Here's Doc's opinion:

Asked about picking up someone on a 10-day contract to help fill Garnett’s roster void, Doc Rivers said the team would decline.

“If a guy was that good, it wouldn’t be a 10-day deal,” the coach said. “You know what I mean? If there was somebody out there that good that could replace Kevin, he’d be playing for somebody already.

“So we’re still looking at the same group of guys out there, whoever they are. And if we can get them tomorrow, we’ll take them. If we can’t, we’re just going to keep working on getting them. But we’re not going to make a mistake for a short-time gain and lose something that may help us for a long time.”

The theory seems to be that if a player is good enough to help a championship contender, then some other team will offer a guaranteed deal.

Interesting. TP. I think Doc is right. You can't get a good player with a 10 day deal.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 11:45:38 AM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
Here's Doc's opinion:

No one is talking about replacing KG, that is ridiculous. The player you sign would be a Powe or Scalabrine level player potentially for example. I promise there a few that meet that criteria. A 10 day contract is only a supplemental player and most teams use that period to check the guys out or for a short term need so a rotation level player or starter can get some rest. I think that even Doc would admit that he cannot fully evaluate a guy until he runs him with our lineup a couple of times. Besides, by holding out (with two roster spots) for someone from this mysterious group of players we may come up empty again. I think it is pretty safe to say that this is doubletalk, GMspeak, Coach-babble or whatever.

I refuse to believe that there is not a player out there who could help us (for short minutes) that is not a locker room cancer or a problem child. Rather, I think Danny Ainge is trying to hit a homerun again like he did with PJ Brown.

It's a pretty risky strategy IMO, I wish him luck.

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 11:47:39 AM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
I was wondering if they'd sign somebody just to have another big body to run practices with.  Didn't they originally sign Mikki Moore back in the day after a big run of injuries?

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2009, 11:51:39 AM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
Only bad players are looking for 10-day contracts. I'm pretty sure that even a player like Mikki Moore won't sign one of those. Unless our injury list gets bigger, there's no big reason to sign one of those players, except if we can't land a better player.
I dont expect to find a star, but if we can only dress eleven with two open roster spots?

Doesnt anyone see a need to shorten our starters minutes? The playoffs wont be much fun if they are fried.

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 11:57:00 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
I dont expect to find a star, but if we can only dress eleven with two open roster spots?

Doesnt anyone see a need to shorten our starters minutes? The playoffs wont be much fun if they are fried.

At what position would play that player signed to a 10-day contract? We have 3 healthy point-guards, 4 healthy bigs and 2 rookie wings who barely get minutes. Would he 1) be better than any of those guys? 2) be better than FA available to be signed till the end of the season (e.g. Moore, Saer Sene, Bonzi Wells, etc.)?

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2009, 12:28:53 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen

At what position would play that player signed to a 10-day contract? We have 3 healthy point-guards, 4 healthy bigs and 2 rookie wings who barely get minutes. Would he 1) be better than any of those guys? 2) be better than FA available to be signed till the end of the season (e.g. Moore, Saer Sene, Bonzi Wells, etc.)?
Again, why play our stars so many minutes when it is not necessary? Because they get paid alot? That works great until they have no legs left in the playoffs. I really dont care what position they play. If we dont add players when we are short handed and use the ones we have, why bother complaining later when we are eliminated from the playoffs?

If we are truly interested in one of them then why not sign one? If we are not sure about one of these then why not use the 10 day contract as an evaluation period? I know some would say a player wants a contract through the rest of the season. I say that some of these players would jump at chance to prove themselves. What have they got to lose?

My point is still, why are we going along short handed when there are players available?

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2009, 04:10:08 PM »

Offline Spfldkid

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 30
I agree, besides, any big man might help for a bit, and we always could use an ENFORCER type.....for a try anyway...Get someone on a great TEAM, like this and they might just be inspired, it is like "Any given Sunday" All pro's always have the potential, you just have to find a way to get it out of them...even Blount played very well until he got a contract..Hey where is Montrose..LOL, just kidding...a 10 vday is worth a try, but Doc doesn't EVER try anything new...

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2009, 08:56:18 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
interesting thread and topic. thanks for starting it.

but, as i read the above i agreed that for a championship club a 10 day signee will probably not make the difference.

what the bench needs is someone who can consistently score and dominate the benches of other teams.

i hate to say it...but marbury would fill the bill.

also, smith seems to be the best big-man option out there...if if if both of them become available.

a celtic bench with marbury, smith, house, powe, and bb would definately outplay other teams benches.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2009, 09:07:50 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

Again, why play our stars so many minutes when it is not necessary? Because they get paid alot? That works great until they have no legs left in the playoffs. I really dont care what position they play. If we dont add players when we are short handed and use the ones we have, why bother complaining later when we are eliminated from the playoffs?

If we are truly interested in one of them then why not sign one? If we are not sure about one of these then why not use the 10 day contract as an evaluation period? I know some would say a player wants a contract through the rest of the season. I say that some of these players would jump at chance to prove themselves. What have they got to lose?

My point is still, why are we going along short handed when there are players available?

I agree with you that we must find a way of reducing the minutes of our starters, essentially the wings ( this is not the problem with the other positions). 

However, 10-day contracts is not the way to go. Mikki Moore and players of his level and quality will never sign a 10 day contract because they have better options, some team will offer them a contract at some point.

Guys who signed 10 day contracts are Courtney Sims, Eddie Gill, Trey Johnson, James Tolliver, Cartier Martin, etc. Most of these players aren't better than Walker/Giddens and when you factor that they don't know the team and didn't get the training camp experience, it's not even close. So why bring them if better players aren't getting minutes? To help in the practices?

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2009, 10:05:45 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
Cordobes, I see your point and understand. I am of the opinion that a team should make every effort to dress 12 healthy players each nite. I would rather see less than great players getting a couple of minutes each game while Paul and Ray rest than see them run to the point of exhaustion.

I also believe that Paul Pierce and Ray Allen, along with Doc Rivers, would feel more comfortable with a journeyman like Bonzi Wells or Linton Johnson playing a few minutes than trusting a rookie. My point about Moore and other bigs is that having one of them would allow Scalabrine to log a few minutes at SF.

Not the greatest or perfect solution I know, but at least it is rest for Paul.