Author Topic: Why would Joe Smith Pick Boston ?  (Read 7105 times)

Why would Joe Smith Pick Boston ?
« on: February 22, 2009, 11:00:36 AM »

Offline Texstyles

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 44
I am fan of the bring Smith to Boston idea, but is he truely interested in coming to Boston.  Lets just say CAVS and Boston offer him the same thing. Would he chose Clev. over Boston ?  He will fill a big whole on both teams.  Both teams equally offer him the oportunity to win a championship. Other then that Clev. prob. looks more intriqueing to him.  He will not have to acclimate to them, he knows there system, knows his role. 

Would be hell of a move by him in his quest for a championship to string Boston along while they miss on other oportunties and then sign with Clev. ? ( Man I hope I'm wrong,  but never know )

Re: Why would Joe Smith Pick Boston ?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 11:01:53 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
He's friends with KG?  Maybe he's miffed about being traded away?

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 11:04:27 AM »

Offline orrzor

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 58
I think we have KG going for us, and the fact we are the defending champions. Granted the Cavs are improved this year, but so are Rondo, Perkins, and Ray Allen.

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 11:06:18 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice

Yeah, those are good reasons to have hope. However, money almost always trumps that kind of motives and Cleveland can make a bigger offer.

Also, I'm still worried with the hypothesis of Denver claiming him off waivers. I'd do that if I were the Nuggets.

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 11:15:03 AM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
I really hope he holds a grudge against Cleveland. I think they are our biggest competition to sign him.

The only other place I could see him considering would be the Lakers if a ring is his motivation.

If he goes to either of these two, it hurts us for sure in the playoffs. We just dont have the length in our bigman depth without PJ. KG is too banged up now IMO to pick up the slack. Paul is beat up too, only one of our big three looking spry lately is Ray Allen.
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 11:20:24 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450

I also think Danny can guarantee him PJ Brown type minutes in the playoffs.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2009, 11:25:20 AM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458

But so can Cleveland.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 11:41:43 AM »

Offline cornbreadsmart

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106
i never thought of him stringing us along to get us to miss out on someone else. that would be clever. for a ring only i would say his best bet is l.a.  if it's being comfortable then i would think cleveland. for money it would be cleveland. he could come here if he would like to get MAJOR minutes for 2 to 3 weeks. he would have a huge role pretty quick. i'm not optimistic but i think it's still worth losing mikki moore. unfortunately getting smith is a HUGE deal right now. danny can do it!! come on, danny!

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2009, 11:43:11 AM »

Offline TatteredOnMySleeve

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
I really hope he holds a grudge against Cleveland. I think they are our biggest competition to sign him.

The only other place I could see him considering would be the Lakers if a ring is his motivation.

If he goes to either of these two, it hurts us for sure in the playoffs. We just dont have the length in our bigman depth without PJ. KG is too banged up now IMO to pick up the slack. Paul is beat up too, only one of our big three looking spry lately is Ray Allen.

I dont know, what about ray allens thumb?  theres more going on with all of them then we even know or the team is telling the fans..they wouldve never come out and said anything about KG if he hadnt seriously hurt it, meanwhile hes been limping up and down the court since early december and its been the same injury
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2009, 11:48:50 AM »

Offline TatteredOnMySleeve

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
i never thought of him stringing us along to get us to miss out on someone else. that would be clever. for a ring only i would say his best bet is l.a.  if it's being comfortable then i would think cleveland. for money it would be cleveland. he could come here if he would like to get MAJOR minutes for 2 to 3 weeks. he would have a huge role pretty quick. i'm not optimistic but i think it's still worth losing mikki moore. unfortunately getting smith is a HUGE deal right now. danny can do it!! come on, danny!

Joe smith isnt really "chasing a ring" hes not even asking for a buyout, sounds pretty content staying with one of the worst teams in the league.
   LA isnt his best chance, he has equal oppurtunities here in Boston and in Cleveland, and I'm pretty sure he has a house in cleveland, unfortunately.
Also, it would be nice to get him, not a HUGE deal like you and everyone makes it out to be, hes a below average role player who isnt great at anything
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2009, 11:53:49 AM »

Offline thebirdman

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 31

Also, I'm still worried with the hypothesis of Denver claiming him off waivers. I'd do that if I were the Nuggets.

That will definitely not happen. Nuggets worked extremely hard to get under the luxury tax limit. Trading away Camby for nothing, trading Atkins for Petro and a pick...Every move they made was with intent to shed salary.

So, if they claim Smith off waivers they would have to pay his remaining negotiated salary, which would take them in luxury tax land again.

I am sure they will be interested in him but I think they know they have little chance in actually getting him, therefor their interest in Miki Moore.

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2009, 12:06:54 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
It is not like he spent alot of time in Cleveland.  27 regular season games.  That's it.

He spent a lot more time with KG.  I could see the draw for him to win a title next to KG after all the years they spent together in Minn.

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2009, 12:33:12 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200

I don't think so. Cleveland has much more depth in the front court.

But so can Cleveland.

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2009, 12:57:40 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

But so can Cleveland.

They've got Z, Wallace and Varajao. He could have a bigger role here.

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2009, 12:58:22 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11832
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
Cleveland can offer him about twice as much as the Celtics can if it is about money.  Cleveland has $5.135 million of its midlevel exception left, and Boston has $2.392 million of its midlevel remaining.

But the Celtics have the lure of KG, Pierce and Ray as opposed to the Cavs having LeBron.  The biggest factor may be his relationship with KG.  If KG calls and tells him he wants him,  how could he refuse?  Kind of like the Godfather's offer he couldn't refuse. 

If he comes to Boston he will get similar accolades to what PJ had last season.  First big man off the bench and he will be guaranteed fairly decent minutes.  In Cleveland he would be more like insurance and not the main big off the bench. 

Did I mention we have KG?