Author Topic: Antoine Walker had workouts with Toronto recently  (Read 5323 times)

Antoine Walker had workouts with Toronto recently
« on: February 22, 2009, 08:38:41 AM »

Offline greenwise

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 136
"RAPS SHOPPING?

The Raptors may not be done dealing.

Before acquiring 7-footer Patrick O'Bryant from the Boston Celtics, they had conducted, according to sources, workouts in Toronto with NBA veterans Antoine Walker and Pops Mensah-Bonsu, a couple of free agent big men who might have joined the team.

And even though they addressed the need for size with the addition of O'Bryant, there still is a chance they could add a veteran big man, or even a veteran shooting guard, before the end of the regular season.

Walker, 32, played last season in Minnesota but has been idle this year. Mensah-Bonsu had a brief 2007 fling with the Dallas Mavericks and has been in the D League this year.

If the Raptors hadn't acquired O'Bryant at the deadline, they were going to waive Will Solomon and add one of those big men, according to sources."

http://www.thestar.com/Sports/NBA/article/591314

Funny that O'Bryant joining the Raptors may have prevented old friend Toine to play for them. The same O'Bryant that couldn't get minutes over Powe or Davis here...

Re: Antoine Walker had workouts with Toronto recently
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 08:52:00 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
If the Raptors need a "big man", I can see why they passed on Antoine.  Love him or hate him, Antoine plays more like a SF than he does a big.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 08:56:31 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
It's a sad day when someone chooses POB over Antoine. But this is what Antoine gets for not keeping his body in shape over the last 5-6 years. It's no ones fault but his.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 12:24:12 PM »

Offline QuinielaBox

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 139
Maybe he'll show up in Sacremento next year. More likely, he will show up in at the local tavern basketball team with Vin Baker.
Wins are few, times are hard. Here is your bleeping St Patricks Day Card.

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 01:53:38 PM »

Offline SShorefan 4.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 186
you know what would be really cool?  If Antoine signed with Toronto and the Celtics had their #1 pick in the upcoming draft.
Call me a sap, but I love my kids more than anything!

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 06:04:36 PM »

Offline PSquared

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 36
Judging from Marion's reaction following the Raptor's thumping by the Knicks, I think this team(Toronto) needs more LEADERSHIP than anything else.   Besides, they already have a 7-footer(Bargnani(sp?)), I think. 

Our old "Friend"(and I use that term loosely since many here don't like him at all) will end up on an NBA team soon enough.  I wouldn't be surprised if it's toronto....They Need a Spark right now; someone to light a fire under their collective azzes both on the bench and on the court. 

I mean....why not?  What do the Raptors have to lose at this point?    Toine wants to play, and the Raptors are just desperate enough to give him that shot....

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 02:06:25 PM »

Offline PSquared

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 36
"Raptors Work Out Walker: The Toronto Raptors have been looking at options according to Doug Smith of the Toronto Star. The Raptors just prior to the trade deadline took a long look at free agents Antoine Walker and Pops Mensah-Bonsu. Ultimately the Raptors made the deadline deal to acquire Patrick O'Bryant from the Celtics who did not play last night versus the Knicks. The Raptors are keeping their options open regarding additional roster changes, the club currently has 2 open roster spots so adding one or both players on a NBA pro-rated minimum contracts is possible. The Raptors say they are in a holding pattern for now as the try and integrate their new assets acquired at the deadline into the mix.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=11702

"

Still a shot of Toine making it....Toronto really has nothing to lose here.   

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2009, 10:17:51 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
"Raptors Work Out Walker: The Toronto Raptors have been looking at options according to Doug Smith of the Toronto Star. The Raptors just prior to the trade deadline took a long look at free agents Antoine Walker and Pops Mensah-Bonsu. Ultimately the Raptors made the deadline deal to acquire Patrick O'Bryant from the Celtics who did not play last night versus the Knicks. The Raptors are keeping their options open regarding additional roster changes, the club currently has 2 open roster spots so adding one or both players on a NBA pro-rated minimum contracts is possible. The Raptors say they are in a holding pattern for now as the try and integrate their new assets acquired at the deadline into the mix.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=11702

"

Still a shot of Toine making it....Toronto really has nothing to lose here.   

well don't they have an awesome 3PT%?

with antoine they can easily lose that.

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2009, 10:41:47 PM »

Offline SShorefan 4.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 186
anyone else find this somewhat sad?    ???
Call me a sap, but I love my kids more than anything!

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2009, 10:51:15 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
Ummm...yes?   ;D  I guess he thinks he can help the Raptors catch the C's in the Atlantic.

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2009, 11:04:33 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup

I'm having visions of the final scene from the Wrestler
Yup

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2009, 06:59:26 AM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
Pops Mensah-Bonsu just signed a 10-day with the Spurs.

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2009, 07:15:45 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"

I'm having visions of the final scene from the Wrestler

Harsh. He's still an upgrade over Big Fatty.

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2009, 07:47:07 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Not sad at all.  And Big Baby is better than Antoine because he understands what he's good at.

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2009, 08:21:30 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
Not sad at all.  And Big Baby is better than Antoine because he understands what he's good at.

Like shooting (and missing) 15 foot jumpers in the final minutes of a Celtics-Lakers game?