Author Topic: Kevin Durant... Bird-esque shooter??  (Read 9897 times)

Re: Kevin Durant... Bird-esque shooter??
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2009, 05:58:17 PM »

Offline POBstuntin

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 17
Well, people have to keep in mind that since the Thunder aren't good, no one is really preparing to play them all that much. Therefore, there haven't been any specific defensive schemes put into use against Durant. Once a team defense tries to really shut him down, then I want to see how he shoots.

First off let me say that I am not calling you a stupid person.  In fact I'm sure you are very intelligent but that statement is ignorant and wrong.  This is what advanced scouts do, this is why there are assistant coaches, scouts, stat interpreters and countless other jobs.  To think that teams don't have a scheme against Kevin Durant is crazy.  He sees double teams every game he plays.  Teams trap on picks, double down when he drives baseline, they throw different defenders at him and do everything they can to stop him.  Teams prepare every bit as much for the thunder as they do any other team for the sole reason that you don't want to be one of the 20 W's for the Thunder this year.   Its a disservice to the good people that spend 18 hour days worrying about how to keep Russell Westbrook contained inside they paint, and all the other ridiculous things they do to think that teams don't prepare against the thunder because they are bad.  This isn't a church rec league against the fat guys from BIG AL's Pizza, this is the NBA, you can't take games off. 

« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2009, 06:06:44 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
Well, people have to keep in mind that since the Thunder aren't good, no one is really preparing to play them all that much. Therefore, there haven't been any specific defensive schemes put into use against Durant. Once a team defense tries to really shut him down, then I want to see how he shoots.

First off let me say that I am not calling you a stupid person.  In fact I'm sure you are very intelligent but that statement is ignorant and wrong.  This is what advanced scouts do, this is why there are assistant coaches, scouts, stat interpreters and countless other jobs.  To think that teams don't have a scheme against Kevin Durant is crazy.  He sees double teams every game he plays.  Teams trap on picks, double down when he drives baseline, they throw different defenders at him and do everything they can to stop him.  Teams prepare every bit as much for the thunder as they do any other team for the sole reason that you don't want to be one of the 20 W's for the Thunder this year.   Its a disservice to the good people that spend 18 hour days worrying about how to keep Russell Westbrook contained inside they paint, and all the other ridiculous things they do to think that teams don't prepare against the thunder because they are bad.  This isn't a church rec league against the fat guys from BIG AL's Pizza, this is the NBA, you can't take games off. 

I was referring to playoff defensive schemes, when they really study and break down a team for a 7 game series. The opposition know the other team's plays like their own. It's a little different than the one or two games we see of a team.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2009, 07:09:35 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
durant is probably the best player no one really cares about...

(and crownsy, i hope you feel better now).  :-*
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2009, 07:20:52 PM »

Offline Scalablob990

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 83
  • The REAL Pau Gasol
I'd compare Durant to Reggie Lewis (I was born in 1990 so i've only watched old clips of him) they both have the same body type and same smooth shooting stroke. Only thing that bothers me about Durant is his Terminator like emotion. "Kevin you won the MVP award!!!! how do you feel?" Durant-"it's good"
True Celtic = Leon Powe

Bring back the show!!!!

« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2009, 07:28:57 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
I'd compare Durant to Reggie Lewis (I was born in 1990 so i've only watched old clips of him) they both have the same body type and same smooth shooting stroke. Only thing that bothers me about Durant is his Terminator like emotion. "Kevin you won the MVP award!!!! how do you feel?" Durant-"it's good"

rondo wasn't exactly jumping up and down after winning the nba title...

Become Legendary.

« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2009, 03:27:31 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
another routine 32 points tonight ... 11-20 60% shooting

Kid is so fun to watch.  It'll be interesting to see what happens when he has some competent players around him. 

« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2009, 04:31:37 AM »

Offline POBstuntin

• Oshae Brissett
another routine 32 points tonight ... 11-20 60% shooting

Kid is so fun to watch.  It'll be interesting to see what happens when he has some competent players around him. 

I couldn't agree more.  That game was awesome.  Granted it was against the warriors and don nelson is trying to lose his job, its amazing that dude has 1300 wins, but still.  He's great.  I love the way he can create now, last year he took all those off balance shots and looked horrible but hes figured out how to score, and its beautiful.  The only thing I'm worried about is the TMAC thing because i think he had the most similar frame and game as durant as a 20 year old and he's been plagued by injuries.  If he adds that muscle to his frame and I think he will, it will be great.  Selfosha didn't look great in his premier, 5 fouls in 18 minutes, I don't know if even the great Chris Mihm could put up a line like that.  If they get lucky and get Blake griffin or even Rubio they will be my favorite non celtic team in recent memory.  Hell, they are right now.  Its a [dang] shame that Tyson Chandler trade didn't go through for them but Joe Smith being available again might save the season.

By the way how funny is it that the Twolves gave up all those first round picks for him.  wow. 

« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2009, 04:34:47 AM »

Offline POBstuntin

• Oshae Brissett

I was referring to playoff defensive schemes, when they really study and break down a team for a 7 game series. The opposition know the other team's plays like their own. It's a little different than the one or two games we see of a team.

I hear ya, I just think the defenses are already gunning for him.  I mean at a D3 level, we scouted every team hard, and we ran specific schemes against kids that weren't even that good, they were just the best player on their specific team.  So I can only imagine the level of preparedness that goes into an NBA game plan.  I'm telling you though, when this kid makes it to the playoffs hes gonna do real damage.  I know that GEICO contest was BS, but still he did not want to lose.  He had 4 letters quick and rallied back, that is more Larry Bird than anything else.  Although Bird never would of let 4 letters get on him...

« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2009, 04:43:34 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan

Yeah, because he's not making (negative)
headlines, besides playing great b-ball.
Hopefully, in a couple of years, he'll be
stealing the headlines from the likes of
Therapist and the Crab Queen  ;)

« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2009, 04:48:29 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280

Yeah, because he's not making (negative)
headlines, besides playing great b-ball.
Hopefully, in a couple of years, he'll be
stealing the headlines from the likes of
Therapist and the Crab Queen  ;)

very nice.