Author Topic: Kevin Durant... Bird-esque shooter??  (Read 9863 times)

Kevin Durant... Bird-esque shooter??
« on: February 21, 2009, 02:03:03 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I can't get enough of this kid.  I've DVR'd the Thunder's last several games.   I usually just fast forward through the opponent's possessions so I can watch Durant on offense and I can watch the game in a half hour or so.

But my god.   The kid is remarkable.   I got into a debate with an NBA fan who was bashing Durant (I live in Seattle and the fan only knew of Durant from last year when he was significantly worse).   I was telling my friend that Durant will likely start leading the league in scoring in the next couple years.  My friend's stance was:  "Durant will never be the scorer that LeBron James is.  LeBron is 6'8 260 of pure force... Durant is just too skinny"... I had to bring up the scoring ability of skinny, unathletic, slow Larry Bird to prove my point.

But now it's stuck in my head.  You need to watch Durant some time if you haven't already.  His shooting is just otherworldly lately.   He can hit it from anywhere... he's got unlimited range... he has step backs, fade aways, he can score off the dribble... he's ridiculous on catch-and-shoot... he can also take it inside.  But his shooting is absurd lately.   This month he's averaging 33.4 points on 53% shooting.  57% from three.  86% from the line.   

Don't get me wrong.  I'm just talking about the shooting (kinda like where people try to say Pierce is a better "scorer" than Bird)... Obviously Durant is not good defensively, he's not the passer, not as crafty or as genius as Bird.... I'm just talking about his "shooting".   Two skinny 6-9 players with ridiculous range.   

For the season he's averaging 26.1 points on 48% shooting... 44% from three (averages 1.4 threes a game)... 86% from the line.   Those numbers just keep getting higher and higher as the season progresses.  But he's 20 YEARS OLD!!!  ...   For comparison, Bird came into the league at 23 years of age...

20 Year Old Durant:  26.1 points, 48% shooting, 44% three (1.4 per game), 86% FT

23 Year old Bird:  21.3 points, 47% shooting, 40% three, 84% FT
24 year old Bird:  21.2 points, 48% shooting, 27% three, 86% FT
31 Year old Bird (Peak?):  29.9 points, 53% shooting, 41% three (1.3 per game), 91% FT 
Career Bird:  24.3 points, 49% shooting, 37% three, 88% FT

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/birdla01.html

I consider Bird the greatest shooter of all time, but ... Durant sure seems Bird-esque in that department.

Side Note:  I absolutely 100% think Durant has the "clutchness" factor.  Wait until this kid gets a team around him.  Against the Hornets I watched him dominate a game to take the lead... then in the final seconds I watched him hit a turnaround, fadeaway prayor three pointer to tie it... only to see Chris Paul quickly penetrate into the Thunder's pathetic interior defense and make a game winner.   He's got it... he's already got 5 game winners (which is saying something considering how infrequently the Thunder win) 
« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 05:33:55 PM by LarBrd33 »

Re: Kevin Durant... Bird-esque shooter??
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 02:12:49 PM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason
He's good, but he's not Larry. 

Larry was much stronger and played in a time where you were actually allowed to breathe on the player you are guarding.

Durant would get eaten alive, at his current size, 20 years ago.

Now if he's able to put some meat on his frame, which seems unlikely, and he's still able to do the things he's doing...then maybe at that time you'd have a basis for comparison.

Also let's make the comparison when Durant makes his team a finals competitor 7 years in a row.
God bless and good night!

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 02:15:55 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
Good post and you get a TP for it.
The best part is, he's a kid we
can (probably all) root for because
he just seems like a good kid.

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 02:18:28 PM »

Offline Celtic Fan Forever

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2437
I've been watching some Thunder games as well recently (gotta love league pass) and I just can't believe how great a shooter this guy is. But he can't be compared to Larry Bird. The game was so different back then, defense was a LOT tougher, the refs were different, everything was different. But if you really want to get technical about who's the better shooter, put Bird and Durant on a playground and have them play around the world or some other shooting game (not horse). Bird wins in a landslide.
2023 CelticsStrong Historical Draft Champions - OKC Thunder
PG: Chauncey Billups/ Baron Davis
SG: Michael Redd/ Dan Majerle/ Allan Houston
SF: Peja Stojakovic/ Gerald Wallace/ Toni Kukoc
PF: Shawn Kemp/ Antonio McDyess
C: Dwight Howard/ Tyson Chandler

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 02:22:41 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
"Bird-esque" = touches of what Larry
could do. Obviously, and like Magic
said, "there will never, ever be
another Larry Bird". I'm just fine with
a thread that celebrates a young player
who is worth rooting for, who is not
on the Celtics roster. Instead of threads
that are all about how much we hate Kobe
and LeBron. Those threads are fine too but
they get a little old after a while  ;)

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2009, 02:24:43 PM »

Offline Celtic Fan Forever

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2437
I agree with your point... and by the way I was just thinking... did anybody actually think Durant would be the better player than Oden 2 years ago?
2023 CelticsStrong Historical Draft Champions - OKC Thunder
PG: Chauncey Billups/ Baron Davis
SG: Michael Redd/ Dan Majerle/ Allan Houston
SF: Peja Stojakovic/ Gerald Wallace/ Toni Kukoc
PF: Shawn Kemp/ Antonio McDyess
C: Dwight Howard/ Tyson Chandler

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2009, 02:25:30 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
I agree with your point... and by the way I was just thinking... did anybody actually think Durant would be the better player than Oden 2 years ago?

Danny Ainge.

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2009, 02:28:38 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Good points everyone.  And like I said... I'm not comparing Durant as a player... just the shooting.

He's so money it's absurd.   

You guys go ahead and check out Kobe's career stats for example... check out Kobe at the same age (his 3rd season)..

19.9 points... 46%... 26% from three... 79% from the line

Bron at 20:  27.2 points, 47%... 35% from three... 75% from the line

It's going to be interesting to see if Durant hits a slump or just continues on this ridiculous tear he is on right now.   His final season averages could make him have some historical shooting numbers for his age.

Btw... defenses were different for sure.  But you really can't compare the two at this point anyways, because Durant is 20 and bird didn't come into the league until 23... All I can really say is... Durant is a Bird-esque shooter.  I'd say even more-so than Dirk  ;)

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2009, 02:35:00 PM »

Offline SShorefan 4.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 186
nice thread.  Interesting how quickly people (including myself) get in a huff when anyone is compared with the sacred one.

I very much like Durant's game and his approach -- I just don't like the team he's on. 

I handed out a bunch of TPs for comments made.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 02:59:24 PM by SShorefan 4.0 »
Call me a sap, but I love my kids more than anything!

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2009, 02:42:20 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Are people saying no one will ever shoot like Bird because the defense is different now? Does that make any sense? Either they can shoot as well or they can't. Alleged defense difference would just affect stats, not the player's skill level.

I guess that's a safe way to maintain the cherished thought that Bird is the best shooter ever.

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2009, 03:09:52 PM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason
Are people saying no one will ever shoot like Bird because the defense is different now? Does that make any sense? Either they can shoot as well or they can't. Alleged defense difference would just affect stats, not the player's skill level.

I guess that's a safe way to maintain the cherished thought that Bird is the best shooter ever.

It's much easier to "create your own shot" when your defender isn't allowed to be in your grill.

There's a difference between "getting in a huff" and pointing out why a comparison cannot be made at face value.

Larry Bird was one of the most prolific scores to ever play the game...and people want to crown Durant as the second coming?  Whatever, let the lovefest ensue.
God bless and good night!

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2009, 03:28:05 PM »

Offline orrzor

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 58
Not sure if Durant is bird-esque. But I do expect him to be a top 5 player in the NBA within the next 2 years, with strong chance of being 2nd only to LeBron. Just look at how young he is and what he is doing! It's pretty unique.

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2009, 03:29:51 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
so, we've moved from dirk to durant, huh?  :)

how many titles have those two won?
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2009, 03:30:42 PM »

Offline bostonfan23

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 115
  • I just might be a basketball machine. -MS
Durant is not getting the attention he deserves. He WILL finish with a higher career PPG average than LeBron James, i truly believe that.

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2009, 03:35:45 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

It's much easier to "create your own shot" when your defender isn't allowed to be in your grill.

There's a difference between "getting in a huff" and pointing out why a comparison cannot be made at face value.

Larry Bird was one of the most prolific scores to ever play the game...and people want to crown Durant as the second coming?  Whatever, let the lovefest ensue.

what does that post have to do with the price of tea in china?

Every post in here is talking specificly about shooting, and goes out of its way to point out that in no way, shape, or form is durant near the level as an overall player that larry was, nor will he ever be. No need to try to twist a comparision of thier jump shooting into;

Larry Bird was one of the most prolific scores to ever play the game...and people want to crown Durant as the second coming?  Whatever, let the lovefest ensue.

larry doesn't need you to put yourself on the cross for him, trust me.

But, having watched two thunder games in the last month specificly just to see this kid, he is easily the best pure "shooter" ive seen come in the league in the last 5, mabey 10 years.

but if the larry comparision is to sacrted to even be mentioned without someone trying to make a maryter post about how its sacrilige to compare the two's shooting touch (which no one was doing in the first place) then how about we compare him to another great pure shooter to come into the league in ray allen?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 03:41:41 PM by crownsy »
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion