Author Topic: James Posey  (Read 3617 times)

James Posey
« on: February 21, 2009, 02:01:09 PM »

Offline Celtic Fan Forever

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2437
After watching the Lakers and Hornets game last night, I was reminded of how great James Posey was. The terrific defense on Kobe, the ability to draw charges, and of course hitting big shot after big shot. I've never thought of my self as a pessimist, but I just can't see us winning the championship without someone like him on our roster. And unfortunately, nobody we can acquire can be anywhere close to what Posey was. Anybody feel the same way?
2023 CelticsStrong Historical Draft Champions - OKC Thunder
PG: Chauncey Billups/ Baron Davis
SG: Michael Redd/ Dan Majerle/ Allan Houston
SF: Peja Stojakovic/ Gerald Wallace/ Toni Kukoc
PF: Shawn Kemp/ Antonio McDyess
C: Dwight Howard/ Tyson Chandler

Re: James Posey
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 02:18:25 PM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason
Honestly, no - Pose had a good game, but it when it counted he rushed 2 threes in overtime that virtually took NO out of the game.

The Hornets lost, btw.
God bless and good night!

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 02:21:04 PM »

Offline Celtic Fan Forever

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2437
Honestly, no - Pose had a good game, but it when it counted he rushed 2 threes in overtime that virtually took NO out of the game.

The Hornets lost, btw.

Yea, I see your point but I feel he had to take that 3 off the inbound to avoid the Lakers fouling. And it was a game they really should have won. Chris Paul made the dumbest decision I've ever seen from him. 20 something seconds and your up 3, you should never commit an offensive foul. He should have just passed it off to Posey or held back the fast break.
2023 CelticsStrong Historical Draft Champions - OKC Thunder
PG: Chauncey Billups/ Baron Davis
SG: Michael Redd/ Dan Majerle/ Allan Houston
SF: Peja Stojakovic/ Gerald Wallace/ Toni Kukoc
PF: Shawn Kemp/ Antonio McDyess
C: Dwight Howard/ Tyson Chandler

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 02:28:56 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I wasn't particularly impressed watching Posey last night. He had a great 3 at the end and a nice almost steal against Kobe at the end, but I also saw Kobe running around him a lot.

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 02:35:01 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I love him... but this board overrates him.

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2009, 03:28:19 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
I love him... but this board overrates him.
I agree.  But with our bench situation as it is now, I think we'd all like to have him back.  We all dwell too much on what ain't happening.   :'(

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2009, 03:32:36 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
he is a perfect roleplayer.  he hits timely shots, defends, is smart, makes hustle plays, has championship experience

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2009, 04:08:45 PM »

Offline Celtics17

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
I for one have always counted Posey as kind of underrated. It's just so hard to find someone capable of doing what he does at the level he does it. The fantastic D, the 3 point shooting in the clutch and the terrific play at just the right time is just hard to find, and harder to replace. Count me as one who thinks Danny made a mistake by letting him go.

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2009, 04:18:03 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Good role player, but his skills could have been mroe more or less replaced in the offseason by signing other players (like Matt Barnes).  Of course, we will never know what Danny intended vs. what actually went down, but it looks like the Celtics management group vastly over-rated the development of Tony Allen.  I suspect they also expected Leon Powe to continue to improve.  Instead, both those players look to have plateaued since last season. 
« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 04:57:19 PM by Cman »
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2009, 04:23:35 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
After watching the Lakers and Hornets game last night, I was reminded of how great James Posey was. The terrific defense on Kobe, the ability to draw charges, and of course hitting big shot after big shot. I've never thought of my self as a pessimist, but I just can't see us winning the championship without someone like him on our roster. And unfortunately, nobody we can acquire can be anywhere close to what Posey was. Anybody feel the same way?

Nothing is quite as funny as reading the contention that "this board overrates him." Posey's been blamed for everything short of the economic meltdown on this board.

For the umpteenth time, what Posey brings to a team is a broad group of skills he's good - not great, good - at, such as locking down Bryant, which he did for us at times in the finals and continues to do. As we've seen on the mess of a bench we have now, it's hard to find defense, rebounding, shooting, basketball intelligence et al. in single players, let alone all in one.

People on this board can mock him, and they can distort his contributions to the 17th title - which they do incessantly. It doesn't change the fact that he was a valuable contributor to the title, and he will most assuredly be missed in the playoffs.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2009, 06:10:11 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
If we still had him on our bench, we would probably still be the favorites to win it all. The Lakers right now are basically the same team they were in the Finals last year.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2009, 09:00:35 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
If we still had him on our bench, we would probably still be the favorites to win it all. The Lakers right now are basically the same team they were in the Finals last year.
The Lakers aren't the team that has improved, at least not much. The Cavaliers and the Magic have both made a big leap in their play. That is the reason we are not big favorites. Posey would fill a crucial need for us isn't up for debate though.

Being a GM is hard. Look at how the Posey and Mo Peterson contracts have impacted New Orleans. Ownership is spending now but they might not always be willing to do that.