Poll

If Moore is available, can the Celtics afford to wait for Smith?

yes
21 (48.8%)
no
22 (51.2%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Author Topic: If Moore is available, can the Celtics afford to wait for Smith?  (Read 13479 times)

Re: If Moore is available, can the Celtics afford to wait for Smith?
« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2009, 03:55:48 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 656
  • MASTER OF PANIC
nesty if they feel joe smith is a no...then moore...but what to do with the other spot? would love to se bobby jackson if he gets cut

« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2009, 03:59:55 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I have that same feeling as many of you.  Joe Smith is looking less likely to be bought out today than he was yesterday based on quotes we've all read. 

That's probably true, although people are overlooking this quote in today's Herald:

Unrelated to Garnett’s injury, the Celtics continue to look for frontcourt support. According to NBA sources, Joe Smith’s people are letting it be known that they’d like to work a buyout with Oklahoma City. If such a deal is reached and he becomes a free agent, the Celts will go after him hard. And reason has been given to believe the interest is mutual.

If Smith's agents really are working on a buyout, it's irrelevant what he tells the press.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2009, 04:06:23 PM »

Offline celty86

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 5
Two things, first, how much can we, or are allowed to, spend on these guys? Is the money coming out of what's left from our MLE?  If I'm not mistaken, Cleveland has more to spend on someone than us, no?  Smith is supposed to be tight with KG but if the Cavs offer more loot, what does he do? If that's the case, maybe we shouldn't be counting on Smith so much.  Second, should we really go after someone, i.e. Moore, just for the sake of getting someone?  We all wanted Ainge to pick up someone at the deadline for our bench but it didn't happen.  Maybe Ainge couldn't afford it or maybe he just values his guys and the jobs they do in their roles better than we do.  Is Moore's 4 - 5 inches going to be that more important than Powe or Davis'?  Danny may not think so. His decision is the one that counts.      

« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2009, 04:17:48 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Two things, first, how much can we, or are allowed to, spend on these guys? Is the money coming out of what's left from our MLE?  If I'm not mistaken, Cleveland has more to spend on someone than us, no?  Smith is supposed to be tight with KG but if the Cavs offer more loot, what does he do? If that's the case, maybe we shouldn't be counting on Smith so much.  Second, should we really go after someone, i.e. Moore, just for the sake of getting someone?  We all wanted Ainge to pick up someone at the deadline for our bench but it didn't happen.  Maybe Ainge couldn't afford it or maybe he just values his guys and the jobs they do in their roles better than we do.  Is Moore's 4 - 5 inches going to be that more important than Powe or Davis'?  Danny may not think so. His decision is the one that counts.      

Boston has $2.392 of the MLE left; Cleveland has $5.135 million.  The amount each team can offer Smith is reduced by 1/180 for every day after January 10, meaning that if Smith signs a contract on, say, March 1, his contract is reduced by 50/180s.  In such instance, Boston could offer a maximum of $1.66 million, and Cleveland could offer a maximum of $3.71 million.  It's not necessarily likely that either team will go that high, but they could if they wished to.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2009, 04:21:26 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
nesty if they feel joe smith is a no...then moore...but what to do with the other spot? would love to se bobby jackson if he gets cut

Agreed with you on Bobby Jackson.  He brings veteran playoff experience, similar to what Cassell brought last year.  It also would mean that Eddie would play less point, more off-guard, which I can't wait to have happen.  It will mean a demotion for Gabe Pruitt, but that is not such a bad thing.  I guess the big question with Bobby Jackson is his health...
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #50 on: February 21, 2009, 04:25:11 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I have that same feeling as many of you.  Joe Smith is looking less likely to be bought out today than he was yesterday based on quotes we've all read. 

That's probably true, although people are overlooking this quote in today's Herald:

Unrelated to Garnett’s injury, the Celtics continue to look for frontcourt support. According to NBA sources, Joe Smith’s people are letting it be known that they’d like to work a buyout with Oklahoma City. If such a deal is reached and he becomes a free agent, the Celts will go after him hard. And reason has been given to believe the interest is mutual.

If Smith's agents really are working on a buyout, it's irrelevant what he tells the press.

If we can get Smith that would be great, but if at any time it seems that he won't get bought out, we have to move quickly on Moore. A lot of people on this board seem to be bashing Mikki but he is certainly the best available big that would help us.
Other than that give me Marbury to go with Smith and I'm happy.

On a side note if Marbury could sign soon it would be huge for the Celtics due to the KG injury. However, it would be a more important move as far as timing for Marbury. Stephon comes in and has a few big games for the C's while KG is out, helps the Celtics continue winning, endear himself to the fans and reaffirm his place in the league as a starting caliber pg.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #51 on: February 21, 2009, 04:47:31 PM »

Offline Gainesville Celtic

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1331
  • Ainge *still* has a Posse! Ubuntu Y'all
Looks like the Lakers are after Moore, too.

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/57458/20090221/will_lakers_look_to_moore_or_horry/

In my opinion, I think we should just sign Moore. If Smith does get bought out, there is a high possibility that he might not even join our squad. Smith is a better player than Moore but I think Danny should act quick before we end up with nobody.

TP for this thread --- it's exactly wht i've been thinking!

I agree that i'd rather have Moore than no one — but it's also not really an eitehr or is it? Sign Moore for $1M or so (1/2 our remaining MLE), then if Smith becomes available, sign him too!

I can't imagine Smith is gonna let $$ make his decision at this point in his career. If he wants to go to CLE, he'll go there, if he wants to play with KG, he'll come here.

I've always believed you can never have enough big men heading into the playoffs. And with the possibility of Perk or KG being slightly higher given their recent injuries, I'm fine with adding both Moore and Smith.

Remember too that Moore did his best running alongside Kidd. We got a kid named Rondo who can get him the ball in similar fashion  ;D
GC's Yahoo! H2h League: Gainesville Celtics: 2014, 2016, 2017 Champs!

GC's Yahoo! H2h League permanent website (offseason roster, constitution, etc.) * Lucky was framed!

« Reply #52 on: February 21, 2009, 04:53:00 PM »

• Rajon Rondo
Scary stat:  opposing centers are shooting 60.9% against Moore when he plays the 5.  "Opponent production" is a flawed statistic, but there aren't a lot of big men in the league that give up 60% shooting.

Statistically, Moore was either the second or third worst player on Sacramento this season.  I think he's certainly better than POB, but there's no reason to think that he's an appreciable upgrade over Powe or BBD.  The more I think about it, the more I think that we have to wait for Smith.  Smith is a difference maker.  I don't think Moore is.

IMO though, Moore is more a PF than Center — and how often did he play the 5 with Hawes and Brad Miller there?

He understands Ubuntu when he said he wouldn't lie, that wanted to start over Jason Thompson when the latter took his starting spot, but that the success of the team was more important.

I would see him as taking mins from BBD, not Scal. He won't have his shot blocked and act as a TO machine the way BBD does.

But Moore, Scal, Powe and BBD would all have roles in the playoffs behind Perk and KG, iMO

GC's Yahoo! H2h League permanent website (offseason roster, constitution, etc.) * Lucky was framed!

« Reply #53 on: February 21, 2009, 04:57:56 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
Nesterovich is DEFINITELY the better option between he and Mikki Moore. He is a solidly built 7 footer and has very good offensive ability. As far as the rebounding, he has 5 boards a game in his career in 23 minutes which isn't that bad, and he gets a lot of help with Powe out there who is a rebounding machine. I want Smith, but Rasho is a lot better than Mikki...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JCzvomF7zo

« Reply #54 on: February 21, 2009, 04:58:47 PM »

Offline cornbreadsmart

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106
if scal is a rotation guy for us in the playoffs we're in trouble.

« Reply #55 on: February 21, 2009, 05:00:04 PM »

• Rajon Rondo
Scary stat:  opposing centers are shooting 60.9% against Moore when he plays the 5.  "Opponent production" is a flawed statistic, but there aren't a lot of big men in the league that give up 60% shooting.

Statistically, Moore was either the second or third worst player on Sacramento this season.  I think he's certainly better than POB, but there's no reason to think that he's an appreciable upgrade over Powe or BBD.  The more I think about it, the more I think that we have to wait for Smith.  Smith is a difference maker.  I don't think Moore is.

hobbs listen sir you can't forget how decent he was when he played in nj a couple of years ago. Sacramento is a mess of a team and a guy like moore needs a decent supporting to cast to shine. Same with joe smith who stinks this year and only been good when he was with good teams.

moore had vince carter and kidd couple of years ago and gave opposing teams problems. He has unique skill sets no doubt and is not your typical power center or forward but in the same token rebounds alot better than scal, is more of a blocking threat than either powe or bbd

He is not a legit 5 but when you have him and kg down low thats two legit 7 footers at least raising their arms giving even superstar centers a handful.

He has high help defense capabilities and also can nail the jumper.

We can't complain and need to get him.

Smith is a better individual and help defender, though.  Man-to-man defense shouldn't depend drastically upon who your teammates are, nor should rebounding.  These are both areas where Smith has been better over both this year and over the course of their respective careers.

In Moore's absolute best season, he averaged 9.8 points and 5.1 rebounds.  Last year, Smith averaged 10.1 points and 5.2 rebounds in fewer minutes, and his numbers this year on a per-minute basis are similar (although he's playing less minutes).

So, essentially, Joe Smith's poorest season is roughly equal to Moore's best, statistically, without even taking into account Smith's superior defense. 

That's true that Smith is a better defender and better overall player, but he's also more injury prone at this point in their respective careers. Smith has missed about 1/3 of the thunder's games this season. Not an insignificant point IMO.

BTW, I don't want anyone to think i think Moore is all-world, he'd be a decent bench addition, nothing more, nothing less.

Given the free choice i'd take Smith 100 times out of 100, but i'd also rather grab Moore, than chance adding no one.

« Reply #56 on: February 21, 2009, 05:05:26 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
if scal is a rotation guy for us in the playoffs we're in trouble.

You've obviously not watched any of the games he was playing prior to the concussion... Scal is EXACTLY the type of player you want out there when it all matters. He doesn't make stupid decisions, stretches the floor on offense, and plays very solid man D on bigs and keeps the offense moving. There is a reason they are undefeated with him in the starting line up. Those who don't appreciate what he brings to the floor are just upset with the guys contract. Not his fault. I would MUCH rather have him out there than TA or BBD (unless he is guarding a huge bigman) He brings so much more to the table.

« Reply #57 on: February 21, 2009, 05:11:27 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
I wonder if Phoenix has interest in Smith and Moore too?
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #58 on: February 21, 2009, 05:17:08 PM »

Offline Greg

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 30

IMO though, Moore is more a PF than Center — and how often did he play the 5 with Hawes and Brad Miller there?

He understands Ubuntu when he said he wouldn't lie, that wanted to start over Jason Thompson when the latter took his starting spot, but that the success of the team was more important.

I would see him as taking mins from BBD, not Scal. He won't have his shot blocked and act as a TO machine the way BBD does.

But Moore, Scal, Powe and BBD would all have roles in the playoffs behind Perk and KG, iMO

Moore doesn't add much of anything that say a Scott Pollard couldn't add.  He has been downright dreadful this season.

And poor analysis on BBD... turnover machine, not really.  He has .72 turnovers in 17.6 minutes.  He has really cut down on his turnover, which has really helped him. Moore in averaging .59 in 16.2 minutes.  You can even compare that to 1.07 turnovers in 15.9 minutes.  He is the most turnover prone player on the team.  

« Reply #59 on: February 21, 2009, 05:20:13 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Honestly I would rather bring back Scot Pollard than Moore if healthy and in shape.   At least Pollard can play solid D at the 5 spot and rebound and that is what we need.  Can't say the same for Moore.