Poll

If Moore is available, can the Celtics afford to wait for Smith?

yes
21 (48.8%)
no
22 (51.2%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Author Topic: If Moore is available, can the Celtics afford to wait for Smith?  (Read 13481 times)

Re: If Moore is available, can the Celtics afford to wait for Smith?
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2009, 01:50:36 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Mikki Moore is a bum.

I'd rather have Scal out there...(and no, I'm not kidding)

hmm..strongly disagree, scal is a total scrub who shouldnt even be in the NBA, nevermind for that salary. He should be parked on the bench come playoff time, just like last year. Moore is an upgrade.
Chris Mihm just got sent packing from a contender who lost there starting center for 8 weeks, and is one of the worst defensive and offensive centers ive ever seen...no thanks

Listen,  I'm not a huge defender of Scals, but he was playing well before the concussions and understands his role.  Mikki Moore doesn't play a lick of D, and has only excelled when up for a contract.  Is he Mark Blount?  I don't know.  I just don't want him. 

Maybe I'm wrong.  I just don't buy that any addition better than no addition.

edit: left the word NOT off when I made the post
Yup

« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2009, 01:53:53 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
So, you guys think Nesterovic is not an option?

I`d throw what`s left of the MLE at him, and try to fill the other spot with the vet minimum.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2009, 01:55:27 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup

I`d throw what`s left of the MLE at him, and try to fill the other spot with the vet minimum.

I'd take Nesty, but is he going to be bought out?
Yup

« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2009, 02:02:54 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545

I'd take Nesty, but is he going to be bought out?

Jeff posted an Hollinger article yesterday, apparently he`s a buyout candidate.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=hollinger_john&page=PERDiem-090219

In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2009, 02:24:17 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 656
  • MASTER OF PANIC
i honestly feel that smith will not be bought out

« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2009, 02:26:59 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 656
  • MASTER OF PANIC
nesty could be a Z for boston...hit the outside shot...

« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2009, 02:27:35 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
Mikki Moore is a bum.

I'd rather have Scal out there...(and no, I'm not kidding)

hmm..strongly disagree, scal is a total scrub who shouldnt even be in the NBA, nevermind for that salary. He should be parked on the bench come playoff time, just like last year. Moore is an upgrade.
Chris Mihm just got sent packing from a contender who lost there starting center for 8 weeks, and is one of the worst defensive and offensive centers ive ever seen...no thanks

Wrong. His stats say differently. Scal is a much better overall player than Moore is. There is a reason they are trying to buy the bum out with this AND next years money left to go. He is soft and about the same player that POB is... Just with no more upside to pretend he's got.

« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2009, 02:53:09 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Scary stat:  opposing centers are shooting 60.9% against Moore when he plays the 5.  "Opponent production" is a flawed statistic, but there aren't a lot of big men in the league that give up 60% shooting.

Statistically, Moore was either the second or third worst player on Sacramento this season.  I think he's certainly better than POB, but there's no reason to think that he's an appreciable upgrade over Powe or BBD.  The more I think about it, the more I think that we have to wait for Smith.  Smith is a difference maker.  I don't think Moore is.

hobbs listen sir you can't forget how decent he was when he played in nj a couple of years ago. Sacramento is a mess of a team and a guy like moore needs a decent supporting to cast to shine. Same with joe smith who stinks this year and only been good when he was with good teams.

moore had vince carter and kidd couple of years ago and gave opposing teams problems. He has unique skill sets no doubt and is not your typical power center or forward but in the same token rebounds alot better than scal, is more of a blocking threat than either powe or bbd

He is not a legit 5 but when you have him and kg down low thats two legit 7 footers at least raising their arms giving even superstar centers a handful.

He has high help defense capabilities and also can nail the jumper.

We can't complain and need to get him.

« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2009, 02:54:00 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
I wish danny did everything he could to try to sign krstic in the off season . He would have been a perfect fit

But anyhow signing moore will be key to how far the celts can go in the playoffs

« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2009, 03:06:39 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Scary stat:  opposing centers are shooting 60.9% against Moore when he plays the 5.  "Opponent production" is a flawed statistic, but there aren't a lot of big men in the league that give up 60% shooting.

Statistically, Moore was either the second or third worst player on Sacramento this season.  I think he's certainly better than POB, but there's no reason to think that he's an appreciable upgrade over Powe or BBD.  The more I think about it, the more I think that we have to wait for Smith.  Smith is a difference maker.  I don't think Moore is.

hobbs listen sir you can't forget how decent he was when he played in nj a couple of years ago. Sacramento is a mess of a team and a guy like moore needs a decent supporting to cast to shine. Same with joe smith who stinks this year and only been good when he was with good teams.

moore had vince carter and kidd couple of years ago and gave opposing teams problems. He has unique skill sets no doubt and is not your typical power center or forward but in the same token rebounds alot better than scal, is more of a blocking threat than either powe or bbd

He is not a legit 5 but when you have him and kg down low thats two legit 7 footers at least raising their arms giving even superstar centers a handful.

He has high help defense capabilities and also can nail the jumper.

We can't complain and need to get him.

Smith is a better individual and help defender, though.  Man-to-man defense shouldn't depend drastically upon who your teammates are, nor should rebounding.  These are both areas where Smith has been better over both this year and over the course of their respective careers.

In Moore's absolute best season, he averaged 9.8 points and 5.1 rebounds.  Last year, Smith averaged 10.1 points and 5.2 rebounds in fewer minutes, and his numbers this year on a per-minute basis are similar (although he's playing less minutes).

So, essentially, Joe Smith's poorest season is roughly equal to Moore's best, statistically, without even taking into account Smith's superior defense. 

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2009, 03:09:12 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
I'm actually starting to come around to the idea of getting Nesterovic if he is bought out. He's a true center, bigger than Smith or Moore, and has the ability to knock down the occasional jumper. He's also played most of the season going up against starting caliber centers, and hasn't fared too badly.

http://www.82games.com/0809/08IND13.HTM

Interesting that Indiana is in town on Feb 27, right before the March 1 deadline for buyout candidates.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2009, 03:12:03 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Honestly i find both players pretty much identical in their makeup and skill level with moore a bit taller, smith a bit stronger etc. Like most have stated can't lose to sign one or the other a this point

Moore is a good fit and we wouldn't be getting him for the sake that we need someone to fill in for kg/backup bench pf/c

« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2009, 03:12:04 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
While I'd prefer Smith, I'd be on board with Rasho before Moore, I think.  The problem with Rasho is that he's not a very good rebounder.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2009, 03:17:38 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
I have that same feeling as many of you.  Joe Smith is looking less likely to be bought out today than he was yesterday based on quotes we've all read.  Nesterovic is a great second option in my opinion.  Mikki Moore just seems like a desperate last option to me.  Not feeling it.

« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2009, 03:22:52 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I have that same feeling as many of you.  Joe Smith is looking less likely to be bought out today than he was yesterday based on quotes we've all read.  Nesterovic is a great second option in my opinion.  Mikki Moore just seems like a desperate last option to me.  Not feeling it.

I like the idea of Rasho over Moore as well.  I am getting impatient to find out when/whether any of these guys will be bought out.  Moore seems like a pretty sure bet to be bought out, not sure about the other two.

Still hoping PJ Brown gets fired up and wants to come back to the Cs.
Celtics fan for life.