Poll

If Moore is available, can the Celtics afford to wait for Smith?

yes
21 (48.8%)
no
22 (51.2%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Author Topic: If Moore is available, can the Celtics afford to wait for Smith?  (Read 13471 times)

Re: If Moore is available, can the Celtics afford to wait for Smith?
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2009, 01:04:23 PM »

Offline silvershamrocker

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Believe In The Sleeve
Absolutely not. I'd rather have Smith, but we NEED a big. And losing both when we could have Moore would be tough to deal with.

"It will be fun watching the Lakers get those balloons down one at a time." - Bill Russell

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2009, 01:04:32 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
If you ask yourself what we need to the guy to do it becomes a little more clear. He needs to be able to rebound the ball with some length, and be a threat offensively in the low post. He also needs to be able to play team defense.

The guy averages 3 pts and 3 boards in the same amount of time that BBD is playing. Those are lesser stats. He only is blocking .30 shots per game and a half a shot per game in his career. Not much better than BBD. His fg% at 52 vs 40 is the only meaningful difference between his stats and BBD and I would base that on him having a better finishing percentage around the rim due to being able to dunk the ball. He does appear to have a little better shot than BBD from the outside as well which isn't difficult.

That being said, I think the guys stats show he is more of a SF type player than a big man. He plays like a very very poor mans KG without near the talent.

Compare that to Joe Smith's numbers which are much better overall and his veteran experience and I think that is a big enough jump to make the signing. Otherwise I would rather have BBD and Scal out there filling Moore's potential minutes.

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2009, 01:07:54 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 654
  • MASTER OF PANIC
i say get what you can when you can get it. 

100 percent correct

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2009, 01:08:49 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
If you ask yourself what we need to the guy to do it becomes a little more clear. He needs to be able to rebound the ball with some length, and be a threat offensively in the low post. He also needs to be able to play team defense.

The guy averages 3 pts and 3 boards in the same amount of time that BBD is playing. Those are lesser stats. He only is blocking .30 shots per game and a half a shot per game in his career. Not much better than BBD. His fg% at 52 vs 40 is the only meaningful difference between his stats and BBD and I would base that on him having a better finishing percentage around the rim due to being able to dunk the ball. He does appear to have a little better shot than BBD from the outside as well which isn't difficult.

That being said, I think the guys stats show he is more of a SF type player than a big man. He plays like a very very poor mans KG without near the talent.

Compare that to Joe Smith's numbers which are much better overall and his veteran experience and I think that is a big enough jump to make the signing. Otherwise I would rather have BBD and Scal out there filling Moore's potential minutes.

Agreed.  I'll stand by my "Mikki is bum" stance.  If we need a body, see what the Kandi Man is up to...OK, not really Kandi man, but I'm not sold on getting a guy just for the sake of getting a guy.
Yup

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2009, 01:13:12 PM »

Offline slam

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 22
I think we absolutely have to sign him now.  There might not be another chance to get anyone else.  If Smith becomes available, and Moore is not working out, we cut him and sign Smith.  Or there is even the chance that we use our two roster spots on both of them while we (still) wait for Marbury to be bought out.  That would be the ideal situation in my opinion, as we could then evaluate both of them, and cut which ever one is providing the least, when Marbury finally becomes available.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away.

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2009, 01:15:01 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Absolutely not. I'd rather have Smith, but we NEED a big. And losing both when we could have Moore would be tough to deal with.
Ditto.  Bird in hand better than two in the bush type of situation.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2009, 01:16:31 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Scary stat:  opposing centers are shooting 60.9% against Moore when he plays the 5.  "Opponent production" is a flawed statistic, but there aren't a lot of big men in the league that give up 60% shooting.

Statistically, Moore was either the second or third worst player on Sacramento this season.  I think he's certainly better than POB, but there's no reason to think that he's an appreciable upgrade over Powe or BBD.  The more I think about it, the more I think that we have to wait for Smith.  Smith is a difference maker.  I don't think Moore is.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2009, 01:18:31 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Scary stat:  opposing centers are shooting 60.9% against Moore when he plays the 5.  "Opponent production" is a flawed statistic, but there aren't a lot of big men in the league that give up 60% shooting.

Statistically, Moore was either the second or third worst player on Sacramento this season.  I think he's certainly better than POB, but there's no reason to think that he's an appreciable upgrade over Powe or BBD.  The more I think about it, the more I think that we have to wait for Smith.  Smith is a difference maker.  I don't think Moore is.

BUM I SAY...BUM!!!
Yup

« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2009, 01:19:09 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
So the hope is that the Cavs sign Moore the day before Smith is bought out?

« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2009, 01:29:16 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941

BUM I SAY...BUM!!!

I have to agree with this analysis. Bum...I only hope that the Cavs or Lakers get him. Perkins or Powe will get to shoot over 60% vs him!

I know we have needs but filling a need with another piece of wood for our bench does not sound appealing. Better apples will fall from the tree- Danny will come through.

« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2009, 01:33:05 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice

I agree. I've been saying that they're on a different level. Moore would still be useful, but not because he's a better player than BBD or Powe - he isn't - just due to the fact that he's a player with different traits that adds some depth.

« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2009, 01:34:15 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Why is Moore the only alternative to Smith?

Chris Mihm is available right now as well. Is Moore better?

Given the Pacers' well publicized economic woes, a buyout for Rasho seems in the offing. Is he a better option than Moore?
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2009, 01:36:04 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Thank you Roy, you just made me a lot more comfortable with the thought of waiting for Smith.  I really think they are better off waiting for Smith, and if they can't get him, trying to get a classic "6 foul center" rather than a guy like Moore.  

Honestly, for what this team needs, guys like Michael Doleac or Chris Mihm might be more valuable than Moore, who is tall, but would just get pushed around by the big centers.

« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2009, 01:37:17 PM »

Offline TatteredOnMySleeve

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
Mikki Moore is a bum.

I'd rather have Scal out there...(and no, I'm not kidding)

hmm..strongly disagree, scal is a total scrub who shouldnt even be in the NBA, nevermind for that salary. He should be parked on the bench come playoff time, just like last year. Moore is an upgrade.
Chris Mihm just got sent packing from a contender who lost there starting center for 8 weeks, and is one of the worst defensive and offensive centers ive ever seen...no thanks
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce

« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2009, 01:45:24 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Mikki Moore is a bum.

I'd rather have Scal out there...(and no, I'm not kidding)

hmm..strongly disagree, scal is a total scrub who shouldnt even be in the NBA, nevermind for that salary. He should be parked on the bench come playoff time, just like last year. Moore is an upgrade.
Chris Mihm just got sent packing from a contender who lost there starting center for 8 weeks, and is one of the worst defensive and offensive centers ive ever seen...no thanks

I think you are not going to be happy Sunday where I would bet Scali starts and plays well.