Author Topic: Get Bonzi or Give Walker Some Minutes!  (Read 11347 times)

Get Bonzi or Give Walker Some Minutes!
« on: February 21, 2009, 08:46:45 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
I think Pierce desperately needs a backup.  He looked gassed the last game and couldn't get it done in the 4th quarter. Jumpshot after jumpshot...he was even too tired to drive!  The Celtics need to either give Walker(not Antoine!) some minutes to see if he's going to be able to give the team some quality minutes or get Bonzi or someone else in here to spell Pierce. Even when Tony comes back, I don't think he can get the job done adequately.

We might need to cut another player though, because we still need a big and a point guard.  Too bad Danny wasn't able to trade Giddens to open up a third roster spot.

Even if Walker gets minutes, I'd still rather have Bonzi for the playoffs.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

Re: Get Bonzi or Give Walker Some Minutes!
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 08:59:16 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I'm not sure what, if anything, Bonzi adds at this point.  Can he still play?  Is he worth the gamble in the locker room?  He hasn't lasted for more than one full season with any team he's been on since he left Portland, which is telling.  He just doesn't really seem like an "ubuntu" type of guy.

Bonzi seems like Tony Allen with a worse attitude.  Is that the player we should be adding for the stretch run?  I agree that we need a backup swingman who can defend, but is Wells the answer?

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 09:01:26 AM »

Offline TatteredOnMySleeve

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
I agree, Pierce has been playing 40+ minutes in every game recently.
I was wondering if him being gassed the other night in Utah had anything to do with a little too much Partying over All-Star break though..Ray said he and KG really got alot of rest, he then laughed and said "not so sure about paul"
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 09:02:21 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
I'm not sure what, if anything, Bonzi adds at this point.  Can he still play?  Is he worth the gamble in the locker room?  He hasn't lasted for more than one full season with any team he's been on since he left Portland, which is telling.  He just doesn't really seem like an "ubuntu" type of guy.

Bonzi seems like Tony Allen with a worse attitude.  Is that the player we should be adding for the stretch run?  I agree that we need a backup swingman who can defend, but is Wells the answer?

Didn't he average something like 40 points a game for that Chinese team?  I'd say he can still play.  It was just last season that he played well for the Hornets.  My guess is that he was probably a crappy locker room guy, because the games I saw he played well.  Didn't he almost get a triple double against the Celtics last season?

Don't know if Wells is the answer, but we could do the same thing that people say about Marbury, if he gives trouble, cut him.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 09:02:43 AM »

Offline Actionjakson

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 25
Give Bill some run!
“We don't see ourselves as four All-Stars. We see ourselves as one unit. It's like five fingers on a hand. You can do more damage together as a fist than spread out flat.”
- Rasheed Wallace

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2009, 09:03:13 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
The Celtics need to either give Walker(not Antoine!) some minutes

haha TP.

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2009, 09:04:16 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
you know what would be the most beautiful thing?

Pierce and Walker both out there against the Lakers, and Sasha trying to cover Bill, and him getting DUNKED ON!

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2009, 09:05:43 AM »

Offline TatteredOnMySleeve

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107

I dont know about his attitude, but what I do know, is he can play, he holds the trail blazers franchise record for points in a playoff game(45) and is 3 years removed from averaging 23 pts / 12 rebounds 62% from 3 and 60% from the field in a playoff series against the spurs, and I remember last year in New Orleans him playing a big role in their win against us guarding pierce, and word is he played great in china, but again his attitude is obviously a problem - cant be as bad as marburys
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2009, 09:06:34 AM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 227
I think that if Danny is looking for a swingman who can defend, he only has two options at this point. Bonzi or Ruben Patterson. In that case, I'll take Bonzi.

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2009, 09:12:12 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald

I don't see the Tony comparisons at all.  Bonzi is a consistent performer, Tony is the complete opposite.

Anyway, say DA does want a swingman, where does the 3rd roster spot come from, assuming DA still wants a point guard and big man as well?

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2009, 09:25:50 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

I dont know about his attitude, but what I do know, is he can play, he holds the trail blazers franchise record for points in a playoff game(45) and is 3 years removed from averaging 23 pts / 12 rebounds 62% from 3 and 60% from the field in a playoff series against the spurs, and I remember last year in New Orleans him playing a big role in their win against us guarding pierce, and word is he played great in china, but again his attitude is obviously a problem - cant be as bad as marburys

How do you know he can *still* play?  It's pretty irrelevant what he did in Portland, or three years ago.  Last year in the playoffs, he averaged 3.7 points on 38.6% shooting.

As for China, Wells was playing in one of the weakest leagues in the world.  Rodney White led their league in scoring, with 35.6 points per game.  Gabe Muoneke, Leon Rodgers, Dontae Jones, Kirk Snyder, Michael Harris, Lee Benson, Mack Tuck, and Donnell Harvey -- along with Wells -- round out the top ten, all averaging at least 29.8 points.  I'm not overly impressed.

http://www.asia-basket.com/China/basketball.asp

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2009, 09:32:10 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Tony Allen not returning this year and the absence of a better option out there (I'd wait for the buyouts deadline) is the only excuse to sign Bonzi Wells.

I agree Pierce's minutes need to be limited ASAP, even if it means a couple of losses added to the record, although I'd rather sign a 10 day contract with a D-Leaguer if needed than sign Bonzi Wells due to that reason.

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2009, 10:12:48 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Based on their last years in the nba it appeared as though Patterson had a lot more left in the tank than Wells.  I doubt if either will be signed, though.

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2009, 10:44:34 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I think Pierce desperately needs a backup.  He looked gassed the last game and couldn't get it done in the 4th quarter. Jumpshot after jumpshot...he was even too tired to drive!  The Celtics need to either give Walker(not Antoine!) some minutes to see if he's going to be able to give the team some quality minutes or get Bonzi or someone else in here to spell Pierce. Even when Tony comes back, I don't think he can get the job done adequately.

We might need to cut another player though, because we still need a big and a point guard.  Too bad Danny wasn't able to trade Giddens to open up a third roster spot.

Even if Walker gets minutes, I'd still rather have Bonzi for the playoffs.

I think Big and PG are still the greater needs, which is why I would prefer Bobby Jackson (if bought out) over Bonzi.  And I really think Joe Smith can help the Cs right now.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2009, 10:46:58 AM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
We need to do something. Paul is playing too many minutes.