Author Topic: Joe Smith: I’m not seeking a buyout  (Read 7053 times)

Re: Joe Smith: I’m not seeking a buyout
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2009, 08:46:39 AM »

Offline TatteredOnMySleeve

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
He's definitely strong and physical.

Alright, sign scot pollard up to do nothing but crack jokes and appear on the injury report, maybe call a few games with mike gorman...theres a reason he isnt with the celtics right now, hes more of a waste of a roster spot than POB
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2009, 08:47:30 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I think a healthy Pollard is a better player.  I prefer a strong physical big over a scrawny POB type that can be pushed around if they are equivalent in talent.  I see that you seem to be a big Mikki Moore fan but I really don't think he's very good.  Definitely an upgrade over POB but that doesn't say much.  If he's out only option I say sign him.  If we have other options I would probably prefer them.

Scot Pollard isnt healthy, and has averaged 1/1 in his last 2 seasons at 52 and 42 %, hes no longer NBA worthy, Im not trying to sound like a big mikki moore fan, because im not, but hes available, and I dont even think its an argument to whether or not hes better than pollard, thats just stupid..Pollard offers the celtics nothing but a good laugh in the locker room...please dont talk to me about scot being strong and physical either
Who peed in your Cherios this morning?

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2009, 08:50:02 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632

Alright, sign scot pollard up to do nothing but crack jokes and appear on the injury report, maybe call a few games with mike gorman...theres a reason he isnt with the celtics right now, hes more of a waste of a roster spot than POB

If Pollard is healthy, I'd take him if Smith isn't bought out. I thought he did a decent job the few games he was healthy.  He was really a pest to Dwight Howard the one game he played against Orlando last season. He's not that good, I know, but he is a big body and a real pest on defense.  Not much else though.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2009, 08:56:45 AM »

Offline TatteredOnMySleeve

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107

If Pollard is healthy, I'd take him if Smith isn't bought out. I thought he did a decent job the few games he was healthy.  He was really a pest to Dwight Howard the one game he played against Orlando last season. He's not that good, I know, but he is a big body and a real pest on defense.  Not much else though.

Pollard offers nothing on Offense, and you proved my point by saying "the one game he was healthy against orlando he was a pest to dwight howard"    hes never healthy, and of course hes a pest, I could be a pest to dwight howard, if it was 2002, and pollard was healthy, I agree, id take him
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2009, 09:01:46 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 659
  • MASTER OF PANIC
at this point they need a big off the bench. moore or smith

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2009, 09:51:07 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
Well he can't turn around and say "I want to leave, I want to go to Boston" - that would be stupid. I'm sure he'll be bought out and I'm optimistic that he'll end up here.

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2009, 10:25:30 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I thought this might happen

It was a very worrying sign on trade deadline day when the Thunder had to waive a player to get below 15 players, in order to bring in Thabo Sefolosha, and did not waive Joe Smith. Why waive a different player if you intend on buying out Joe Smith in the next two to three days?

I like the idea of Joe staying with the youngsters. I love it when classy pros with experience are on squads like that, help show those young fellas how to play in the league. Good on him.

« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2009, 11:59:09 AM »

Offline BillfromBoston

• Author
  • Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 79

It was a very worrying sign on trade deadline day when the Thunder had to waive a player to get below 15 players, in order to bring in Thabo Sefolosha, and did not waive Joe Smith. Why waive a different player if you intend on buying out Joe Smith in the next two to three days?

I like the idea of Joe staying with the youngsters. I love it when classy pros with experience are on squads like that, help show those young fellas how to play in the league. Good on him.

Sene cost a fraction of what Smith did and there was no need to analyze the situation and negotiate - I don't find anything particularly worrisome about it...

« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2009, 12:03:16 PM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
It figures Joey is all about the dollars.

« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2009, 01:09:17 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
If and its a big if ;spaceman Pollard is healthy I'd go after him IF we can't get Smith.  Pollard is a perfect backup and would help the team if his ankles are nimble enough to cover defensive rotations.  He's always used his fouls intelligently, rebounds & boxes out well and plays within the team concept (ie he knows his strengths or lack of)

« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2009, 01:16:15 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
smith is all about his money... doesn't seem like the winning/willing to sacrifice attitude i want on the celtics.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2009, 01:23:10 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
smith is all about his money... doesn't seem like the winning/willing to sacrifice attitude i want on the celtics.

I think Smith is just trying to be loyal to his current teammates. Of course he wants a buyout but he is just being diplomatic about it. That sounds like exactly the type of player we need and God knows, we need some bench help right now. It is not like we have a lot to choose from right now. We need to shake a few trees right now and pray we find 2 golden apples.

« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2009, 01:57:30 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

If you're going to seek a buy out to save money on a player you don't waive him. Waiving doesn't save you the money, you waive cheaper players. 20% of Smith's money is more than whom they waived.

« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2009, 02:14:47 PM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason

Can't really blame the guy in this economy, which is getting astronomically worse by the day.
God bless and good night!

« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2009, 02:22:35 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 659
  • MASTER OF PANIC
i dont think smith is going to get bought out....i think boston needs to sign moore and someone else ASAP...