Author Topic: Joe Smith: I’m not seeking a buyout  (Read 7026 times)

Joe Smith: I’m not seeking a buyout
« on: February 21, 2009, 06:50:18 AM »

Offline thebirdman

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 31
Link: http://newsok.com/thunder-notebook/article/3347532

One day after watching the trading deadline pass without seeing his name attached to a deal, Thunder forward Joe Smith said he is not seeking a buyout of his contract, contrary to media reports.

"What for?” Smith asked before Friday night’s game against Phoenix. "I’ve been here all year. Why would I want to do that now? I’m (not) seeking it.”

The 33-year-old Smith, who is in his 14th NBA season, quelled any theories that he hopes the Thunder agrees to a buyout so he can join a title contender and have a shot at a championship before the end of his playing days.

"A lot of people assume that when you reach a certain amount of years in the league that you always want to seek a title,” Smith said. "It’s (not) just me. It’s been like that for a lot of veterans that have been around.

"Like I’ve said all year long, I like these young guys around here. We’ve developed some type of chemistry now where I got faith in them and they got faith in me. The way we’ve been playing lately, it’s been a good thing.”

Smith said he hasn’t talked to his agent, Dan Fegan, about a buyout. Fegan has not returned several phone messages seeking comment. Thunder general manager Sam Presti said he also hasn’t spoken with Smith’s representatives but said he values Smith’s place on the roster.

"If it comes up I’ll listen to what they have to say, but that’s standard,” Presti said. "That’s part of my job. I think Joe brings great value to our team, and he’s someone that has done a nice job for us this year. So we definitely have interest in him and continue to value him.”

:o

Let`s just hope his agent has a different plan...

Link: http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/basketball/celtics/view/2009_02_21_Kevin_Garnett_sidelined_2-3_weeks:_But_knee_injury_not_serious/

According to NBA sources, Joe Smith’s people are letting it be known that they’d like to work a buyout with Oklahoma City. If such a deal is reached and he becomes a free agent, the Celts will go after him hard. And reason has been given to believe the interest is mutual.

Re: Joe Smith: I’m not seeking a buyout
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 07:34:27 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
Maybe Joe Smith doesn't want to give up any money.  He would have to to be bought out right?  Maybe he'd rather play for a loser than give back some of his pay.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 07:45:34 AM »

Offline TatteredOnMySleeve

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
Screw him, why some people acted like it was a given we were going to get him is beyond me...As I heard on WEEI yesterday, we've turned Joe Smith into a young Bill Russell, when the facts are he's a journey men ok player...Bring on Mikki Moore, I know he sucked with the kings, but its probably one of those cases where hes only as good as the players around him.
If Joe smith wants to stay with the Thunder, so be it, if not, hurry up and ask for a buyout
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 07:48:30 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
Screw him, why some people acted like it was a given we were going to get him is beyond me...As I heard on WEEI yesterday, we've turned Joe Smith into a young Bill Russell, when the facts are he's a journey men ok player...Bring on Mikki Moore, I know he sucked with the kings, but its probably one of those cases where hes only as good as the players around him.
If Joe smith wants to stay with the Thunder, so be it, if not, hurry up and ask for a buyout

I don't think people were acting like he was Russell, but acting like he would be the best big available, which he would be if he was bought out.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 07:56:36 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

I don't think people were acting like he was Russell, but acting like he would be the best big available, which he would be if he was bought out.

Yeah, exactly.  Smith is just better than Moore, in every aspect of the game.  He's a better scorer, rebounder, and defender, and he turns the ball over less.  If he ultimately does get bought out, he's a better option.

(I'm not sure where this idea came from that Moore is a better defender than Smith.  It's simply not accurate, but people assume that because Moore is 7-feet tall, he must be good defending post players.  I'm not sure how many Kings games have been watching this year, but Moore is nothing special on either end of the court.  He is, however, better than POB, so he'd be an upgrade.)

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2009, 08:05:59 AM »

• Don Chaney

Yeah, exactly.  Smith is just better than Moore, in every aspect of the game.  He's a better scorer, rebounder, and defender, and he turns the ball over less.  If he ultimately does get bought out, he's a better option.

(I'm not sure where this idea came from that Moore is a better defender than Smith.  It's simply not accurate, but people assume that because Moore is 7-feet tall, he must be good defending post players.  I'm not sure how many Kings games have been watching this year, but Moore is nothing special on either end of the court.  He is, however, better than POB, so he'd be an upgrade.)

I agree, but the one year Moore played around good players in this league he had a breakout season(for him) and shot a great percentage from the field and on his jumpshot...My thinking is if you get him around the big 3 and rondo he might be rejuvinated and really play his best ball...and as far as his defense, im not concerned about what his defense was for the Kings, a legit 7 footer that isnt POB can be turned into a great team defender for us IMO...Joe smith is just annoying me at this point "why would I want to be bought out" comments like that arent helping him get out of OKC anytime soon, and hes not the best big available, because hes not available! and he is not a good defender himself, I know you have numbers to say hes better, they may be misleading however, because Joe smith cant guard a chair
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2009, 08:08:25 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280

Joe smith is a journeyman ok player

Mikki Moore is a journeyman CRAP player, he sucks.

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2009, 08:11:04 AM »

• Don Chaney

Joe smith is a journeyman ok player

Mikki Moore is a journeyman CRAP player, he sucks.

Mikki Moore is better than what we got on the bench right now, and is actually available
It doesnt take much to be better than Scal/bbd/powe...i dont know, 7 feet with a pulse? not named patrick o bryant

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2009, 08:18:01 AM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
Bring on Rasho!
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2009, 08:21:19 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Smith and Moore are night and day as far as talent.  We definitely need an extra big, so it's got to be somebody.  I think I'd prefer Pollard to Moore.
I want Smith badly but I actually really respect the fact that he's happy on his team and doesn't want to abandon ship to go title chasing.

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2009, 08:23:01 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Joe smith is just annoying me at this point "why would I want to be bought out" comments like that arent helping him get out of OKC anytime soon, and hes not the best big available, because hes not available!

I hear what you're saying.  However, if Smith *does* want to be bought out, there are two legitimate reasons why he might be less than candid.

First, financially, he has a stronger position if he doesn't appear desperate to leave.  The more he postures and says he wants to stay, the stronger his negotiating position is, and the more money he can keep in a buyout.  Of course, I'm sure OKC's management also sees through this, but it's better than the alternative.

Second, talking openly about a buyout when you're on another team is disrespectful to the fans of the team you're on.  I know Sam rubbed a lot of people the wrong way when he was sitting out games for the Clippers (while getting paid) and talking about joining another team.  It's a slap in the face to the fans who have come out and cheered for you all season long.  To keep tight-lipped is the respectful thing to do, although I don't think I'd recommend outright lies.

The third alternative, of course, is that he truly is happy in OKC, and doesn't want to move again.  However, since the first two options make a lot of sense, as well, I'll remain hopeful until March 1.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2009, 08:26:37 AM »

• Don Chaney
Smith and Moore are night and day as far as talent.  We definitely need an extra big, so it's got to be somebody.  I think I'd prefer Pollard to Moore.
I want Smith badly but I actually really respect the fact that he's happy on his team and doesn't want to abandon ship to go title chasing.

You'd prefer a suited up Pollard on the sidelines then a playable Mikki Moore? Planet Pollard fan or something?

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2009, 08:32:52 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
I think a healthy Pollard is a better player.  I prefer a strong physical big over a scrawny POB type that can be pushed around if they are equivalent in talent.  I see that you seem to be a big Mikki Moore fan but I really don't think he's very good.  Definitely an upgrade over POB but that doesn't say much.  If he's out only option I say sign him.  If we have other options I would probably prefer them.

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2009, 08:37:21 AM »

• Don Chaney
I think a healthy Pollard is a better player.  I prefer a strong physical big over a scrawny POB type that can be pushed around if they are equivalent in talent.  I see that you seem to be a big Mikki Moore fan but I really don't think he's very good.  Definitely an upgrade over POB but that doesn't say much.  If he's out only option I say sign him.  If we have other options I would probably prefer them.

Scot Pollard isnt healthy, and has averaged 1/1 in his last 2 seasons at 52 and 42 %, hes no longer NBA worthy, Im not trying to sound like a big mikki moore fan, because im not, but hes available, and I dont even think its an argument to whether or not hes better than pollard, thats just stupid..Pollard offers the celtics nothing but a good laugh in the locker room...please dont talk to me about scot being strong and physical either

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2009, 08:43:26 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
He's definitely strong and physical.