Author Topic: Blessing in Disguise?  (Read 4030 times)

Blessing in Disguise?
« on: February 20, 2009, 08:31:13 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
I knwo there is no real blessing in losing KG, especially for an extended time...but let's say he is out for 3-5 wks. Here's what I'd hope to see happen:

1. WE sing another big ( Smith or PJ, they get alot of burn in KG's absence and really gel in with the team.

2. I think Big Baby could be on the edge of really expanding his game. Remember when KG was down with the Flu Baby had one of his best games this year. He's a guy that likes the limelight and the challenge. This is a great opportunity for him to really ger aggressive out there.

3. Ditto for Pruitt. With Tony Allen down Doc is kind of forced to Play Pruitt more and I also think he is right there on the edge of taking a leap with his game. He is already playign soem very good D and the more he plays the more comfortable he'll be taking the shots he gets and he can shoot.

4. Perhaps Bill Walker will start getting some serious minutes. Serious meaning 5-10 a night and maybe he can show he can, even with the mistakes he'll make, be a net positive contributor behind Pierce...

5. KG gets some major rest and comes back fired up, strong and hungry for the playoff stretch.

We won't have homecourt probably but if we add the Vets we've all been hoping to add...Marbury and Joe Smith and the rest above happens, it may not matter...   

Re: Blessing in Disguise?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 08:41:28 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Considering we have no idea how long he will be out, I think its too early to even think about blessings in disguise.

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 08:43:04 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
but its always a good thing
to see the glass half full

specially when is the upper half
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 08:49:25 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
blessing?????  this will surely hurt our record, thus our homecourt advantage in the playoffs, which for this team is crucial.  not to mention all the other potential bad things with this injury

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 09:15:06 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722
what a difference two players makes .............. last season garnett has the abdominal strain and the celtics hang very tough in his absence with posey and .... (not sure that pj brown was with the team yet).

anyway, last season we weren't depending on baby davis, tony allen, scalabrine, pruitt or two rookies and an impotent 7-footer for help. anything davis or allen or scal gave was just a bonus.

this year we are depending on guys who are not capable of what the celtics are asking from them ...... and as a result, the starters are worn down and not able to maintain their intensity for long periods during games like last year.

i say the reason this year's team has maintained a great record is that the starters are better individually (rondo & perk) and as a group playing their second season together.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 09:17:35 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
thats why he said it isnt a blessing per se, but one rather in disguise. who knows, could be, ryt?

i mean the 7 game series in the frst 2 rounds of last year couldve been a blessing in disguise to us winning it all last year

hey nothing wrong with what ifs..

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2009, 09:20:21 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
nope...

we need to get the home court...it proved huge last year and it will probably play a big role in the playoffs again.

there is nothing good that comes from seeing your star hurt, as the mental aspect is present as well.
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2009, 09:32:41 PM »

Offline Celtic_E

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 10
I think this is the best time to see what we got and where we go from here. Though I'm greatly bothered by KG's injury, I'm still holding out on some hope that this team could still pull through with some wins while KG's out recovering. Remember, this team went through the same stretch last year when KG went out but still made it through fine. This team has seen adversity before and passed the test with flying colors. No reason to think that this team could not do it again. I know we're not exactly the same team before but the spirit of Ubuntu still lives on and it will carry the team through again at this hard stage of the season.

Keep the faith fellow Celtic fans.

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2009, 09:32:55 PM »

Offline jimmehx

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 166
No way is this a blessing in disguise. And... just because KG is gone doesn't mean we can just "sign another big". It's not that easy.

"Uhhh... Wife makes chicken..." - Brian Scalabrine 2007.

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2009, 10:33:13 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
blessing?????  this will surely hurt our record, thus our homecourt advantage in the playoffs, which for this team is crucial.  not to mention all the other potential bad things with this injury

thats why its in disguise...

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2009, 10:41:59 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
BBD isn't the key to us performing well with KG out, Scal is. HE is the one who came in during that stretch and allowed us to continue our rotations with good defense. Seeing as he is more confident in his outside shot again he should be able to fill in admirably like he always has.

If BBD was so UP for the challenge, why did he lay an egg last night instead of coming in and proving what he can do?! He has been mediocre at best the past few weeks. Powe was playing really well until last night where interestingly enough only his free throw shooting saved him.  I look for Scal and Powe to be the guys to give us a shot of making it through this with any chance of having a shot at home court. BBD will once in a while look good as is usual. We could sure use some more consistency out of him as well.

I do think this is the nail in the coffin for us and home court though.

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2009, 10:54:12 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
BBD isn't the key to us performing well with KG out, Scal is. HE is the one who came in during that stretch and allowed us to continue our rotations with good defense. Seeing as he is more confident in his outside shot again he should be able to fill in admirably like he always has.

If BBD was so UP for the challenge, why did he lay an egg last night instead of coming in and proving what he can do?! He has been mediocre at best the past few weeks. Powe was playing really well until last night where interestingly enough only his free throw shooting saved him.  I look for Scal and Powe to be the guys to give us a shot of making it through this with any chance of having a shot at home court. BBD will once in a while look good as is usual. We could sure use some more consistency out of him as well.

I do think this is the nail in the coffin for us and home court though.

you can't say that its Powe and no BBD when every nights its either one or the other, and i also think that it IS Scal who makes the biggest difference becuase he's entered into the starting rotation.

but what the poster above is saying isn't that BBD will step up and be the differece in our season, he's saying that this extra playing time will be the difference in BBD's growth as a player before the playoffs... and i agree with him.

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2009, 11:04:32 PM »

Offline scurvmeister

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 30
No way is this a blessing in disguise. And... just because KG is gone doesn't mean we can just "sign another big". It's not that easy.

I'm pretty sure we were going to sign another big anyway...

TP 4 u Scoobydoo. It might be a little early to think about blessings in disguise, but there's certainly nothing wrong with trying to see the upshot in what we've got. I'm pretty sure the Celtics aren't moping around and thinking their season's over.

It's times like these that more or less forces the coaches to explore options they wouldn't under normal circumstances. And sometimes, you find things that work. Why did Scal start when KG was down with the flu, having only played spot minutes? One of the most obvious reasons that i can think of was that it worked last year, when we had to do it.

We'll probably lose a few more games now that KG is out, but season over? Hardly. If we lost every game from here on out, we'd still make the playoffs!

Home court advantage? If we lose it, so be it. You can't just write them off, though. We're not the young team that has to play way above their level/potential to succeed. We are already a championship-level team. If we play up to that, there's no reason why we couldn't take anyone on their home court. Have we proven it this season? No, not really, but come playoff time, there's no way i'm picking the other team just because it's on their court. And so herein lies the "blessing in disguise" of being forced to put our lesser foot forward and still finding ways to win. That can only help us for the stretch run.

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2009, 11:33:54 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
maybe the "blessing" (and i use that term loosely) is that joe smith now sees an opportunity here (if he's bought out) and takes less money to play here than cleveland can offer, if they even offer it to him.

"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2009, 12:23:23 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
Seeing how much home cooking there's
in the league today, I hardly think
we can call this a blessing. Because:
A healthy KG = a shot at HCA and thus
we'll benefit from all that home cooking.
Now it's Queen James and Co. that will
surely benefit instead, barring injuries
of course. And Bavetta will probably have
it in for us again. Sooooo... I'd say this
is more like a curse. Now I'm really not
expecting much in terms of a repeat. I'm
sorry to be a Debbie Downer (realist?) but
at least from now on, the Celtics can only
surprise me. I'm begging they do.