Author Topic: Celtics in Financial Trouble?  (Read 4741 times)

Celtics in Financial Trouble?
« on: February 20, 2009, 02:16:21 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
NBA.com's David Aldridge published an interesting piece on the trade deadline and had this to say about the C's:

And I heard Thursday that the storied Celtics, they of the 17 championships and top-five in attendance, may nonetheless be one of the teams that partakes from the league's new $175 million line of credit, which SportsBusiness Journal reported this week would be used by half of the league's 30 teams to help pay existing and future bills.

NBA.com via http://www.celticsblog.com/2009/2/20/765671/celtics-in-financial-troub

Re: Celtics in Financial Trouble?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 02:24:52 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
I think if they were truly in financial trouble, they would've raised season ticket prices for next year (which they didn't). 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 02:34:02 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I think if they were truly in financial trouble, they would've raised season ticket prices for next year (which they didn't). 
Not if raising prices would mean less tickets sold, lower attendance, and less money spent at Garden.

Not raising prices is a reaction to demand and the economy, not necessarily a sign of their fiscal health.

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 02:36:49 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Not if raising prices would mean less tickets sold, lower attendance, and less money spent at Garden.

Not raising prices is a reaction to demand and the economy, not necessarily a sign of their fiscal health.
Yes, TP
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 02:42:34 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be

If the owners were hurting that bad for additional revenue, they would've upped the ticket prices.  They have a waiting list for season ticket holders so another $3 raise (as was mine prior to this season) would've probably led to a few dropouts but they would've had replacements in wait.  The waiting list illustrates the demand for seasons (not speaking of individual game tickets)

I agree that the freeze was dictated by the economy but, from a business standpoint, if there was a question of financial health they would've upped it.

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 02:50:20 PM »

Offline MMacOH

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 129

If the owners were hurting that bad for additional revenue, they would've upped the ticket prices.  They have a waiting list for season ticket holders so another $3 raise (as was mine prior to this season) would've probably led to a few dropouts but they would've had replacements in wait.  The waiting list illustrates the demand for seasons (not speaking of individual game tickets)

I agree that the freeze was dictated by the economy but, from a business standpoint, if there was a question of financial health they would've upped it.

Bigger issue is going to be corporate sponsorship.  Specualtion is that a lot of corps could dump the sponsors/suite season tickets next year

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2009, 02:54:24 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be

Bigger issue is going to be corporate sponsorship.  Specualtion is that a lot of corps could dump the sponsors/suite season tickets next year

I can definitely see that be a major issue.  The one possible saving grace could be the fact that the Celtics are at the class of the league and not mired in medocrity or at the bottom of the barrel.  Much more exposure and interest in the Celtics these days than back in the dog days.  Could help retention but that's probably even far-fetched considering the dire straits that a lot of companies are facing these days.

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2009, 03:01:53 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
They can start cutting costs by getting rid of the cheerleaders.

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2009, 03:08:51 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
They can start cutting costs by getting rid of the cheerleaders.

Amen to that.

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2009, 03:10:20 PM »

Offline celtsrp33

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 281
Lucky's salary is off the books now... that should help  :) 
Owner of Make Me Some Bacon in CB FBB points and H2H leagues.

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2009, 03:12:13 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
A lot of companies are drawing on their lines of credit even if they don't immediately need the cash.  In this market, take cash when you can get it, because you can't count on it being available when you DO need it.  Even moreso than usual, better to have an excess of cash sitting on the balance sheet even if there's a bit of interest associated with it. 

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2009, 03:17:57 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
Wouldn't the state of our economy make it a good time to borrow? Even for those unaffected?
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2009, 03:30:33 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
As to the ticket-price question, those decisions were likely made long before it was clear the economy was going to be as bad as it is.  I mean, the fact that we're in recession should surprise no one; fifteen months ago, there were lots of people calling for one in '08.  But, I don't think ANYONE expected things to become as horrid as they are.

It's far from certain they would have raised prices even if they HAD known.

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2009, 03:42:39 PM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85
I'm in a tough spot and don't know if I'll renew my seasons for next year. Worried about my job stability and that decent sized bill every month could be awful. I don't see a bright side to this economic situation. No light at the end of the tunnel for a few years at least. I've done some studying around and I think Dow could go to lower than 3k in this year. Can't commit a lot of money to entertainment when food could be an issue.

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2009, 03:55:23 PM »

Offline section320row9

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 2
"Ballout" package

- KH