Author Topic: What if this is the end of the line for KG?  (Read 11822 times)

Re: What if this is the end of the line for KG?
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2009, 05:12:09 PM »

Offline Scalablob990

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 83
  • The REAL Pau Gasol
We can live with KG out for a month, lately he's been bit incosistent anyway. I'd be more worried if Pierce went down, thats basically ripping the heart out of the team.

An inconsistent KG is still better than any other big man on the team, though, by a wide margin.
Oh no doubt Roy, but we've lived without KG a few times already and we seem to pull away each time without too many bruises. Powe and BBD do a good job of backing the PF area up. It's nothing I would freak out about.
True Celtic = Leon Powe

Bring back the show!!!!

« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2009, 05:25:36 PM »

Offline TatteredOnMySleeve

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
We can live with KG out for a month, lately he's been bit incosistent anyway. I'd be more worried if Pierce went down, thats basically ripping the heart out of the team.
This is actually very true...if the injury is only a month, but this injury is scaring me.
   It was the reason he was struggling all along, i mean hes been limping around the court since early december and now whatever happened last night pushed it over the edge and it looks serious. and theres alot of BS speak coming from the celtics right now as far as im concerned
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce

« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2009, 05:29:27 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 375
Amazing!  One player has sore knee and suddenly this is the "end of the line".  Come on guys. Relax.  It's a tough sport ... people get hurt.

Danny Granger has been playing on a sore knee for weeks, but nobody was worried about the end of the line for him.  True, he hurt his foot the other day, but it's not his knee.

I mean, think about it.  If you heard that Kobe hurt his knee and was taking the road trip off would you be thinking gone for the season?  No ... sometimes peoples knees get a bit sore.

I'll admit there is SOME chance that he's hurt bad.  But, the volume of posts about his knee is 100 times as big as it should be given the likelihood that he's out for the year.

« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2009, 05:32:43 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
People always say the sun will explode one day, incinerating the earth. No one REALLY knows when its going to happen, and tommorow could be the day. I suppose we just have to go on, one day at a time. One day at a time.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2009, 05:52:47 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
This is actually very true...if the injury is only a month, but this injury is scaring me.
   It was the reason he was struggling all along, i mean hes been limping around the court since early december and now whatever happened last night pushed it over the edge and it looks serious. and theres alot of BS speak coming from the celtics right now as far as im concerned

That right there is what makes me think it could mean season-ending surgery.  He hasn't been right in a long time and this team commonly holds back injury information.  Supposedly Ray Allen was injured all last season, for example.

« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2009, 05:55:39 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
What if I wake up tomorrow morning, roll over and see a swimsuit model next to me?  ;D

« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2009, 05:57:07 PM »

Offline TatteredOnMySleeve

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107

That right there is what makes me think it could mean season-ending surgery.  He hasn't been right in a long time and this team commonly holds back injury information.  Supposedly Ray Allen was injured all last season, for example.

Yeah I know, what are they turning into the patriots? I had a feeling KG wasnt right all along, but kinda just brushed it off because the celtics werent talking about it, and putting any information about it out there, and then Danny says last night "its been hurting him for a couple weeks now" more like a couple months, I mean he hasnt been all that great this season, and I think theres more to it, especially now
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce

« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2009, 06:21:21 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
What if this is a career ending injury? I have no reason to go to this dark place based on the current news reports.  But I must say, when I guy with as many miles on his wheels as KG, has a chronic knee problem, and does not appear to twist it, but suddenly has trouble putting weight on it, who among us has not had this thought cross his mind? 

What would we do with our team? Needless to say, 18 would not happen this year. Would we try to quickly rebuild around the remaining starters? Or would we start to sell and rebuild from the ground up?  My feeling is that Danny would stick with the remaining guys, and mold them into a decent playoff team.  But our run at multiple championships would be over. 

Would you still have done the KG and RA trades if you knew it would all end this quickly?  I would. 

How would we know? Silly hypotheticals...

I doubt his injury is any worse than Al Jefferson's, and at least we got a title.

« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2009, 06:28:32 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
What if this is a career ending injury? I have no reason to go to this dark place based on the current news reports.  But I must say, when I guy with as many miles on his wheels as KG, has a chronic knee problem, and does not appear to twist it, but suddenly has trouble putting weight on it, who among us has not had this thought cross his mind? 

What would we do with our team? Needless to say, 18 would not happen this year. Would we try to quickly rebuild around the remaining starters? Or would we start to sell and rebuild from the ground up?  My feeling is that Danny would stick with the remaining guys, and mold them into a decent playoff team.  But our run at multiple championships would be over. 

Would you still have done the KG and RA trades if you knew it would all end this quickly?  I would. 

I doubt his injury is any worse than Al Jefferson's, and at least we got a title.

That's right. This was the risk that everyone knew the Celtics took when they put all their eggs in a basket of 3 max contract players on the other side of 30 and filled the rest of the roster with rookies and minimum contracts. There was a huge risk of injury and a guaranteed eventual dropoff in production due to aging (the degree of which was/is completely unknown). Of course, the thinking was also that the risk was worth it if we won a title. Well, they took us for that ride last year, and it was awesome. If KG's gone for a month, comes back healthy, they have a chance to do it again. But even if this nucleus doesn't win again, it was still worth it for #17.

My concern now is that someone like Joe Smith, a ring seeker, will question Boston's chances if KG's injury status isn't certain and goes and signs elsewhere. If KG has a predictable injury with a likely timeline for return, not as much of an issue.

« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2009, 06:36:26 PM »

Online tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722
this is exactly the reason why i believe danny should go hell-bent on bringing in help...if you can get nocioni for a pile of crap you do it.  forget about the cap 4 years from now-this team will be old by then. if we know the window we have is 3 years, then you do everything you can to win now. 

you gave al jefferson away, not to wonder where this team might be in 2012, but to win titles. 

i'm more disappointed in danny doing nothing (thus far) than i am about KG's MRI.  I believe KG will do whatever he can to play...but I'm not sure that danny (and more likely Wyc) did everything they could to solidify this team.

it's obvious we're not playing good basketball against the top-tiered teams...so any comparison to last year is moot because we've shown that the best teams can beat us this season.

i'm disappointed in danny...and if KG's injury is a long-term thing, i don't want to see more of scalabrine because he's gawd-awful. 
but you know danny will tout Mr. Intangibles as a solid replacement.  personally, it disgusts me to even think about that.

yes, yes and yes again.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 06:42:08 PM by tenn_smoothie »
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2009, 06:38:28 PM »

Offline NoraG1

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 108

That's right. This was the risk that everyone knew the Celtics took when they put all their eggs in a basket of 3 max contract players on the other side of 30 and filled the rest of the roster with rookies and minimum contracts. There was a huge risk of injury and a guaranteed eventual dropoff in production due to aging (the degree of which was/is completely unknown). Of course, the thinking was also that the risk was worth it if we won a title. Well, they took us for that ride last year, and it was awesome. If KG's gone for a month, comes back healthy, they have a chance to do it again. But even if this nucleus doesn't win again, it was still worth it for #17.

My concern now is that someone like Joe Smith, a ring seeker, will question Boston's chances if KG's injury status isn't certain and goes and signs elsewhere. If KG has a predictable injury with a likely timeline for return, not as much of an issue.

Kind of sick of hearing this. Younger players get hurt all the time as well. Bynum and Jefferson to name a few right now. Injuries can and do happen to all players of any age.

« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2009, 06:42:12 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker

Kind of sick of hearing this. Younger players get hurt all the time as well. Bynum and Jefferson to name a few right now. Injuries can and do happen to all players of any age.

True, but injury becomes more likely and recovery time becomes longer at older ages.

« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2009, 07:09:41 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Bynum, Jefferson, Amare, Nelson are all young and had major injuries this year.

« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2009, 07:40:58 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
this is exactly the reason why i believe danny should go hell-bent on bringing in help...if you can get nocioni for a pile of crap you do it.  forget about the cap 4 years from now...this team will be old by then.  if we know the window we have is, say, 3 years then you do everything you can to win now. 

you gave al jefferson away, not to wonder where this team might be in 2012, but to win titles. 

i'm more disappointed in danny doing nothing (thus far) than i am about KG's MRI.  I believe KG will do whatever he can to play...but I'm not sure that danny (and more likely Wyc) did everything they could to solidify this team.

it's obvious we're not playing good basketball against the top-tiered teams...so any comparison to last year is moot because we've shown that the best teams can beat us this season.

i'm disappointed in danny...and if KG's injury is a long-term thing, i don't want to see more of scalabrine because he's gawd-awful.  but you know danny will tout Mr. Intangibles as a solid replacement.  personally, it disgusts me to even think about that.

You know, I had to go check to see if I'd written this. Scary.

But, maybe we're broke and we can't afford anything better than the big stiff from Bradley, Paddy O'Blount ...
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2009, 08:00:03 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
I think you're getting swayed by big names. Most of the time, older players (over 30) have had skills decline, so aren't as important, so are not as noticeable when they miss time due to injury. There are fewer older players who are still superstars, but lots of older players in general who get injured; odds wise, injuries more likely hit the lesser known older players than the superstar older players. Additionally, upon receiving a major injury, older players kind of just disappear quietly into the sunset so we forget they were injured.

Mourning hurt his knee last year and hasn't played since. Pollard hasn't played since his injuries last year. It happens all the time to older players but it's not as reported or noticeable because older players are often less important players. 

In '07-'08, the Spurs had the Oldest Average age on the team at 30.6 years. Portland was youngest at 24.06 years of age. a quick look through the data suggests that the average age of an NBA player is around 25.5-26 years. Since it's nearly impossible to be in the NBA at the age of 19 any more, that means that for any player 32 or above there must be multiple players under the age of 26 in the League. This is a round about way of saying there are a lot more "young" players in the league than "old" players.

Therefore, if injuries were equally likely to occur to any age group, we would obviously expect more injuries to young players than old ones. However, taking a quick look through the NBA.com injury report shows a lot of "old" players with injuries, but many of the "old" players are no longer such important players, so their injuries are not as exciting or as media worthy. In addition, a few of the injuries are to players who haven't played this year, which is why their injury status hasn't generated the same news as the injuries to young players.

So, considering that:
-there are fewer old players in the league
-there are still fewer "old" players still playing at a very high level
-younger players generate more news than older players

it seems very clear why it APPEARS as though injuries happen to young players more frequently. However, after looking through some data, I feel completely safe in my previous statement that:

-Older players are more likely to be injured than younger players
-Older players have longer recovery times than younger players.