Author Topic: What if this is the end of the line for KG?  (Read 11843 times)

What if this is the end of the line for KG?
« on: February 20, 2009, 01:46:14 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
What if this is a career ending injury? I have no reason to go to this dark place based on the current news reports.  But I must say, when I guy with as many miles on his wheels as KG, has a chronic knee problem, and does not appear to twist it, but suddenly has trouble putting weight on it, who among us has not had this thought cross his mind? 

What would we do with our team? Needless to say, 18 would not happen this year. Would we try to quickly rebuild around the remaining starters? Or would we start to sell and rebuild from the ground up?  My feeling is that Danny would stick with the remaining guys, and mold them into a decent playoff team.  But our run at multiple championships would be over. 

Would you still have done the KG and RA trades if you knew it would all end this quickly?  I would. 

Re: What if this is the end of the line for KG?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 01:48:46 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
uh... I highly highly doubt it's career ending. He didn't land on anyone and he was still walking. That guarantee's he'll be okay... the question is when.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 01:48:55 PM »

Offline adam8

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 54
Don't even want to go there he was walking around 15 minutes after the injury nothing about that says it could be career ending. I guess he could be hindered for a long time but I have full faith that he will be back before the playoffs and thats the season that matters just look at SA.

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 01:51:32 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
What if this is a career ending injury?

DUDE!?!? :-X

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 01:52:57 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"

DUDE!?!? :-X

Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.! :'(

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 01:53:18 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
What if the doctors look at it and say it's ok?
Yup

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2009, 01:56:56 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I suppose everyone deals with the frustration of not knowing whats going on differently...but I don't understand how some of you can even contemplate something like that right now.  I am not going to put myself through thinking like that unless I am positive the injury is that serious.

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2009, 01:57:00 PM »

Offline MMacOH

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 129
What if this is a career ending injury? I have no reason to go to this dark place based on the current news reports.  But I must say, when I guy with as many miles on his wheels as KG, has a chronic knee problem, and does not appear to twist it, but suddenly has trouble putting weight on it, who among us has not had this thought cross his mind? 

What would we do with our team? Needless to say, 18 would not happen this year. Would we try to quickly rebuild around the remaining starters? Or would we start to sell and rebuild from the ground up?  My feeling is that Danny would stick with the remaining guys, and mold them into a decent playoff team.  But our run at multiple championships would be over. 

Would you still have done the KG and RA trades if you knew it would all end this quickly?  I would. 

Footey...do yourself a favor and go out and grab a late lunch.  Take your time and focus your attention elsewhere.  Come back in a couple of hours and look for updates.  Don't get yourself all wrapped up in the worst case scenario.  You're just going to completely stress yourself out and it won't change the outcome.  You wait for the diagnosis and then react, not the other way around.  

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2009, 01:57:19 PM »

Offline PSquared

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 36
What if the doctors look at it and say it's ok?

What if certain people stop being overly dramatic about this?   KG will be fine.  

And if, god forbid, KG isn't, There's always TOINE Part 3.    ;D

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2009, 01:59:10 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
i don't believe that footey's intention is to paint a doom-and-gloom picture...just asking our feelings on a "what if" scenario.

this is exactly the reason why i believe danny should go hell-bent on bringing in help...if you can get nocioni for a pile of crap you do it.  forget about the cap 4 years from now...this team will be old by then.  if we know the window we have is, say, 3 years then you do everything you can to win now. 

you gave al jefferson away, not to wonder where this team might be in 2012, but to win titles. 

i'm more disappointed in danny doing nothing (thus far) than i am about KG's MRI.  I believe KG will do whatever he can to play...but I'm not sure that danny (and more likely Wyc) did everything they could to solidify this team.

it's obvious we're not playing good basketball against the top-tiered teams...so any comparison to last year is moot because we've shown that the best teams can beat us this season.

i'm disappointed in danny...and if KG's injury is a long-term thing, i don't want to see more of scalabrine because he's gawd-awful.  but you know danny will tout Mr. Intangibles as a solid replacement.  personally, it disgusts me to even think about that.
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2009, 01:59:22 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Sorry to freak everyone out. Yeah, I need a lunch break. Good idea.

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2009, 02:01:25 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

What if we chill out a bit and cross that bridge when we come to it?
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2009, 02:03:08 PM »

Offline TatteredOnMySleeve

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
KG doesnt have chronic knee problems.
it would be a shame if this was a career ending injury, considering hes never had a serious injury in a 14 yr Hall of fame NBA career, and 11 games is the most hes missed in a season...it would be total dissapointment, Id probably cry to tell you the truth and then drink alot...of alcohol
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2009, 02:04:32 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

He's not 38 years old for gods sake. even if, god forbid, it was an ACL, it wouldn't be the end of the line of him.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2009, 02:07:29 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
honestly I have an extremely bad feeling about it.   Bothering him for "a couple weeks"?  ugh... could be season ending surgery.