Author Topic: religulous  (Read 17990 times)

Re: religulous
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2010, 06:54:40 PM »

Offline Prof. Clutch

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 237
  • Mind Games
I haven't seen this movie yet, but I've agreed with a lot of stances that Bill Maher has taken in the past.  His stand up is great. 

Being someone whose not religious, religion generally comes across as pretty ridiculous to me.

I imagine its a similar feeling for people who are religious when dealing with people who aren't religious.

I'm looking forward to checking this movie out.

« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2010, 07:19:30 PM »

Offline jackson_34

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 166
Wow. The anti-religion sentiment on this site is intense, the disgust almost palpable. I guess it would be pointless for a religulous bloke like myself to weigh in, seeing as how the general consensus of the folks on this board is that people such as myself don't even have a brain, much less anything intelligent to say. As my wife says, it's now cool to hate religion, particularly since religion is about the only thing standing in the way of our society's wish to be completely hedonistic. I do wonder, though: Do cynics ever take the time to fully think through what's in the Bible, to see if there might be a good reason for what is described therein? The "genocide" knock, for example: Genocide is the mass murder of a group of people for no reason other than that they exist; a good example: the Nazis' murder of the Jews simply because ... they were Jews. As for the warfare described in the Old Testament, it wasn't "for no good reason"; the various people groups of ancient Canaan practiced child sacrifice, not to mention temple prostitution -- does that sound like a "good" people, a people who deserve to live? More to the point, since the popular conception of God is that only "bad" people should suffer, is it not appropriate that these obviously terrible people, with their detestable practices, were wiped out?

Who's right is it to wipe out an entire race?!

Beyond that, the previous poster clearly has not read or does not remember what is actually in the Bible.

The god character commanded the Israelites to kill all the infants in a land they were invading multiple times. That is genocide.

"the various people groups of ancient Canaan practiced child sacrifice"

Solution of the god in the OT: kill all the Canaanites, including the babies. That is perverse. And how much evidence do we have to differentiate between legitimate claims of child sacrifice and propaganda?

And how is prostitution a big deal? I really have to wonder about any human who thinks prostitution is a good reason for a genocide. I'm not sure I see how prostitution is unethical in the first place.

And by the way, there are always "reasons" for genocide. They are just twisted reasons. Fortunately, most humans changed their gods over the years to make them more civil and humane.

Sadly, weirdness is still popular with new sci-fi religions like Scientology (which Maher skewers quite well in the movie). Likely that too will change with time.

That's a good point. If prostitution is a basis for genocide, then what does child molestation equate to? I know there are plenty in the catholic church! (on a side note, I know that's a generalisation, just trying to make the point).

« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2010, 08:05:18 PM »

Offline cornbreadsmart

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106
Lol. Ya. Prostitution should not equal genocide. Holy moly, dude!That's scary stuff.

« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2010, 09:47:10 PM »

Offline pumpfake

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 14
Please watch a series of interviews called "Speaking Freely", which has experts giving excellent insight into our global situation.

"Blue Gold" is another very compelling documentary, as is
"Frontline: Heat".

conveniently, all can be viewed instantly on netflix

Religion plays a role in violence and war, but it seems to be more of a tool used to motivate and mobilize rather than a cause of war as Maher suggests. The real cause is money and resources. Countries that despise America don't do so because their religion dictates they should, instead, they are typically countries that have been repressed by the US through economic means, or if that doesn't work, through warfare. then religion can be used to inspire individuals in the military. we do the same thing in America.

America has been trying to stay on top... partly by keeping other countries down. but it is not sustainable. The consequences will be very difficult to survive. the people's financial support is the real influence, we need to learn which companies are committing these global crimes, the same companies that are keeping our government in their pockets, and we need to stop supporting them unless they regulate themselves.
it will require us to make sacrifices to our material possessions and our energy consumption, but the alternative is to just sit by until we lose all of those things entirely, which wont be long at our current rate.

« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2010, 09:56:25 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I think it's a pretty fair thing to point out I only watched 15 mins of the movie, but it was just very very not funny, and it has nothing to do with not being able to laugh at yourself.

What is funny about this?

Bill:  You really think Jonah could survive in a whale for 3 days?

Christian guy:  Actually it was a fish.

Bill: Oh. Hey you're right. It was a fish. But there aren't even big fishes. I mean I guess it would have to be a tuna. No human can live in a tuna for three days.

Christian: Well it was miraculous Bill.

Smug look and laughter from Bill.

What is funny about that? It's not funny. It's not creative. It's not clever. It's just Bill thinking he's hilarious and a genious.

Borat = funny.  Made lots of fun of religion.

Bruno = mostly not that funny, but very funny at times. Made lots of fun of religion.

Religulous = not funny. Not even a little. Just like his tv show. Not funny.

There is no denying whether you dislike them or not. Stephen Colbert and John Stewart. Funny often.

Not Bill M.

I guess it's possible the rest of the movie was funny unlike the rest of Bill M's career, but I have my doubts.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 01:16:15 PM by eja117 »

« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2010, 03:09:32 PM »

Offline misha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 1488
  • Open your eyes
Saw it a while ago and found it entertaining. Not all the things he does there should be taken overly serious.
The Immortals:

Iker Casillas, Giacinto Facchetti, Alessandro Nesta, Matthias Sammer, Javier Zanetti, Lothar Matthäus (c), Xavi, Zico, Maradona, Roberto Baggio, Ferenc Puskas, Karl Heinz Rummenigge

Coach:Rinus Michels