Author Topic: Question for MAC (cavs related)  (Read 2748 times)

Question for MAC (cavs related)
« on: February 20, 2009, 12:59:01 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
So i was looking through all the rumors of why any of the cavs deals didn't work out, and alot of them mention that Ferry (this was most prominante in the shaq breakdown) feels that he needs to keep enough money open to offer side show bob a 5 year 8-9 Mill contract.

Now, i like varejo (who's name i think i just butchered  ;)) and no doubt he is a very good energy big off the bench with heart, but honestly, the sticking point in all these trades, many of which, to me, would have made them nearly untouchable to the rest of the NBA is to keep contract space open to lock him up for 8 to 9 per??

As a clevland fan, do i value him to lightly? to me, as an outside observer, its ridculous that a contract extension for this guy for an amount i consider laughable per year, held up some of these deals.

Whats your thoughts on ferry and the trade deadline?
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

Re: Question for MAC (cavs related)
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 01:09:16 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Varejão. With that little snake over the a. Is the question only for MAC or are others allowed to chime in?  :D

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 01:14:33 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Varejão. With that little snake over the a. Is the question only for MAC or are others allowed to chime in?  :D

your always welcome to chime in on anything by me cor :D as is everybody else, Just wondering what the clevland spin is on this one.

But yea, please discuss, im just flabbergasted that some of these deals, again according to rumor anyway, died because ferry didn't want to get contracts that would preclude what acording to the Shaq rumor, is an "expected 50 million over 5 or 6 extension for varejao".
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 01:33:39 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I expect Varejao to get a contract a little over the MLE (say $6-7.5mil), but nowhere near that amount. In particular the combination of length and per annum amount, he might be able to get one (5-6 years) or the other ($8-9mil) but I don't expect him to get both.

I just can't see any team in the league willing to pay him that much money. That lack of competition will help Cleveland sign him to a lower deal.

In fairness to the lad though, he'd be good value at that higher price. Varejao is a player who I expect to be undervalued and underpaid over the next few years.

-----------------------------

As for Varejao's role in the lack of a trade, I don't believe that excuse for a second.

I believe that to be a fabricated story, created because it sounds better than what really happened -- Ferry screwed up misjudging the market, incorrectly evaluating Wally's importance and the importance of the chemistry, and undervaluing the bump his team would have gotten from adding a legit All-Star -- but hey, that's just my opinion.

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 01:37:05 PM »

Offline MMacOH

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 129
My thoughts on the trade deadline:
Well, I think Ferry didn't want to add salary and take on bad contracts for a rental big man.  He is trying to keep the young core of the Cavs together and also retain as much cap flexibility for 2010.  Its also been stated by some insiders that Lebron also requested that the Cavs not move Hickson.  I think Ferry went into the deadline thinking that he didn't want to trade any young big man.  Apparently a lot of team were asking for Hickson and West which was killing deals.

As for Shaq - Phoenix wanted Wally instead of Wallace.  This would have made the Cavs have Wallace and Shaq on their roster next year for 35 million total.  No way the Cavs could have handled that.  They would have been paying 60 million dollars in luxury taxes.

I was hopeful for what the Cavs could have gotten for Wally's contract but I still like the team the way it is.  I am glad the cavs didn't pick up any terrible contracts or aging veterans to try and win it all or bust.

As for Varejao, I do not think he is an 8-9 million guy.  He is a role player with limited offensive skills.  This would not be a bad time fo the Cavs to sign him to an extension though.  Free agent offers should be low this summer with a lot of teams struggling financially and maybe the Cavs could get him signed for around 5 million a year.

Honestly I am hoping he takes his player option and the Cavs move Varejao, Wallace and some first rounders for Bosh next year.   :)

There was a lot of outrage in Cleveland that the Cavs didn't make any moves, but the reality is that there just weren't any moves to be made.

The most interesting tidbit of information I got out of yesterday was that Lebron didn't want Hickson traded.  Hickson will take a few years to develop which means he and Lebron wouldn't be playing at their full potential until at least 2010.  May point ot the fact that Lebron plans on staying

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 01:49:38 PM »

Offline TatteredOnMySleeve

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
My thoughts on the trade deadline:
Well, I think Ferry didn't want to add salary and take on bad contracts for a rental big man.  He is trying to keep the young core of the Cavs together and also retain as much cap flexibility for 2010.  Its also been stated by some insiders that Lebron also requested that the Cavs not move Hickson.  I think Ferry went into the deadline thinking that he didn't want to trade any young big man.  Apparently a lot of team were asking for Hickson and West which was killing deals.

As for Shaq - Phoenix wanted Wally instead of Wallace.  This would have made the Cavs have Wallace and Shaq on their roster next year for 35 million total.  No way the Cavs could have handled that.  They would have been paying 60 million dollars in luxury taxes.

I was hopeful for what the Cavs could have gotten for Wally's contract but I still like the team the way it is.  I am glad the cavs didn't pick up any terrible contracts or aging veterans to try and win it all or bust.

As for Varejao, I do not think he is an 8-9 million guy.  He is a role player with limited offensive skills.  This would not be a bad time fo the Cavs to sign him to an extension though.  Free agent offers should be low this summer with a lot of teams struggling financially and maybe the Cavs could get him signed for around 5 million a year.

Honestly I am hoping he takes his player option and the Cavs move Varejao, Wallace and some first rounders for Bosh next year.   :)

There was a lot of outrage in Cleveland that the Cavs didn't make any moves, but the reality is that there just weren't any moves to be made.

The most interesting tidbit of information I got out of yesterday was that Lebron didn't want Hickson traded.  Hickson will take a few years to develop which means he and Lebron wouldn't be playing at their full potential until at least 2010.  May point ot the fact that Lebron plans on staying

Trading wally isnt breaking up the cavs young "core"
shouldnt the cavs be in win or bust mode, to keep lebron in cleveland?
why does it seem unlikely that LeBron went to management and said 'dont trade JJ' ..i dont know im not buying that one, if you could get Jamison/butler/camby for Wally and Hickson, and you dont do that because of Hicksons 'potential' is ridicolously stupid.
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2009, 02:04:08 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I said this in an earlier thread, but my impression was that Cleveland didn't make a deal because Ferry wasn't willing to offer anything substantial other than Wally/Wallace's contract.  This put GMs in the position of having to take a deal that was a blatant sacrifice of talent for a salary dump.  Any GM in the league will be very reluctant to do that without getting at least one prospect or good draft pick as well.  From what Mac says it sounds like that's what happened.

Well, good news for us then.

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2009, 02:07:28 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
But yea, please discuss, im just flabbergasted that some of these deals, again according to rumor anyway, died because ferry didn't want to get contracts that would preclude what acording to the Shaq rumor, is an "expected 50 million over 5 or 6 extension for varejao".

I don't buy that either. As others, I don't believe AV gets a contract anywhere near that value.

OTOH, I don't know what exactly was offered to Ferry. Perhaps expiring contracts were being overvalued by the press. Personally, I understand how they couldn't pull the trigger on the Shaq trade. Other than that, I don't know. Not trading Hickson due to LeBron's request seems bizarre to me, but whatever. Very hard to assess without knowing exactly what was over the table. If they had the chance of landing someone like Butler for Wally, Hickson/West, picks and didn't do it, Ferry should be fired.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 02:19:02 PM by cordobes »

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2009, 02:17:19 PM »

Offline MMacOH

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 129
I said this in an earlier thread, but my impression was that Cleveland didn't make a deal because Ferry wasn't willing to offer anything substantial other than Wally/Wallace's contract.  This put GMs in the position of having to take a deal that was a blatant sacrifice of talent for a salary dump.  Any GM in the league will be very reluctant to do that without getting at least one prospect or good draft pick as well.  From what Mac says it sounds like that's what happened.

Well, good news for us then.

This is pretty much dead on.  Ferry was freely willing to move Wally.  Once a team requested a player with Wally, the deal usually fell through, mainly because of the player being requested which was usually Hickson or West. 

Hickson was only offered in the Amare deal.  The Cavs were more willing to move Sasha, Andy and Gibson, but there wssn't much interest there.  Ferry is trying to set up a young core that can develop together for years to come. 

Also, to tattered, management gets Lebron's opinion on just about everything.  He is the focus of the team and they want to keep him happy.  The entire Cavs organization has a very high opinion of Hickson, not just Lebron.  I really hope they are right about him