Author Topic: Refs/Bavetta/Injuries result of bad reffing (merged ref threads)  (Read 17861 times)

Re: Refs/Bavetta/Injuries result of bad reffing (merged ref threads)
« Reply #90 on: February 21, 2009, 02:38:30 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
NBA can not do an NFL style of replay.   

Why not?  The officials already go back to the TV feed to review shots at the buzzer. Why can't they review other plays?  Give each coach two challenges per half.  If the coach wins the challenge the result of the play is reversed.  If the coach loses the challenge he's docked a timeout.  If he has no more time outs, he's assesssed a technical and the other team gets one shot plus possession.

You would probably need a replay official with access to the TV feed sitting at the scorer's table.  No big deal.

And if they eliminated the silly defensive three second rule and the 4 ft. circle, you could probably do games easuily with two on the floor, one in the booth.  If the NCAA can get through its tournament with two officials, so can the NBA. 

So if a play is revered, do they go back to that point in time and replay the game from there?  What if it causes a change in possession?  Or causes someone to foul out?

And how does that not slow the game down and kill the momentum of the game?

So if a play is reversed, do they go back to that point in time and replay the game from there?

No need for this, except to reset the 24 second clock, which happens all the time.

What if it causes a change in possession?

Then the team entitled to possession takes the ball out of bounds.

Or causes someone to foul out?

Then he goes to the bench.

And how does that not slow the game down and kill the momentum of the game?

The referee has already blown his whistle in most cases.  Appealable plays would be out of bounds (foot on the line, etc.), charge vs block, and the like.  Coaches couldn't protest non-calls.  But the NFL does not allow this either.

Also, in the last two minutes of each half the replay official has the right to stop the action and ask the officials on the floor to review a close call.

This is just off the top of my head.  I'm sure with a little thought a reasonable system could be devised that would clean up some of the bad calls.

Re: Refs/Bavetta/Injuries result of bad reffing (merged ref threads)
« Reply #91 on: February 21, 2009, 03:27:26 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
The officiating has been very questionable all year.

it's been questionable since dr. naismith was chucking balls in that wicker basket...they've always been bad.

why is it that i can name more nba refs than officials in any other sport?  and yet i think david stern WANTS us to know their names...strange.
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."