Author Topic: Refs/Bavetta/Injuries result of bad reffing (merged ref threads)  (Read 17855 times)

Re: Refs/Bavetta/Injuries result of bad reffing (merged ref threads)
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2009, 09:50:07 AM »

Offline Pawtucket Pat

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 21
What kills me is that the terrible officiating is such a uniquely NBA thing. If you watch an NCAA game, the officiating is much, much better. They let them play more and don't try to control the game. I realize the NBA is a little bit tougher, given the higher degree of athleticism, but it really is embarrassing how much better officiated college games are than the NBA. The officiating in the NBA is a joke.

« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2009, 11:00:12 AM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
It is very clear how easy it is to beat the C's this year. Get in a game where the refs allow the other squad to manhandle and push us around to the point of frustration. I am usually very anti-blaming the refs, but that was an absolute joke. Bavetta is terrible anymore and needs to retire. He obviously has a chip on his shoulder for some reason against the C's and his calls demonstrated that. If they let guys do this to us every night we are going to have a very tough time in the playoffs.

« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2009, 11:02:52 AM »

Offline idrinkdetergent

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 24
I just kept hoping that he would fall over doing his little kicks when pointing which way the ball was going. Then maybe his pants would split and he would have to retire from shame. or the Broken hip he got, That guy looks like hes 130 running around out there. his pants are up to his armpits and he cant even beat barkley in a foot race!
"Sam Cassell was heckling on the sideline when I walked down, He looked at me and was like, ‘You're getting the ball, I know you're getting the ball!'
said Allen.

And did Cassell, a man of many words, have anything to say after that?

"No, I told him he needed to wear a tie."

« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2009, 11:03:10 AM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
here's the important question - what was the spread on this game?
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2009, 11:17:36 AM »

Offline shiggins

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 147
sadly, the last time I can recall a ref in the league that was respected (mostly) by players, coaches and fans was Earl Strom.  The guy stood out because he didn't give the home team discount on fouls and called it evenly.  Sad when a ref stands out for excellence simply by applying the rules fairly to both teams regardless of home court and applying the rules within the flow of the game.

He can't be any older than Dick"head" Bavetta.  Can we get him out of retirement and put Dick where he belongs?  (submit clever euphamism here)

Wrap him in a jacket and throw him in a dark hole?

« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2009, 11:36:24 AM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
The officiating was horribly inconsistent (for both teams). But, the refs didn't cost Boston the game. The players missed their shots. And Doc played Pierce way too many minutes in the 2nd half.

Frustrating loss. Time to move on.

« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2009, 11:38:57 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Could you not agree with you more.  Bavetta was a joke tonight.  He allowed Harpring to manhandle Pierce to the point where Pierce could not even move to set a pick.  Then, He calls Pierce for an offensive foul when he is trying to discard Harpring from him.  

It was just god awful.  And that call on Pruitt for touching Williams going up the floor is as ticky-tack as you'll ever see.  

Seriously, we should start an honor roll for "worst calls of last night"  I don't think it'd be hard to come up with 10 - you've got

1. The touch foul on Pruitt mentioned above
2. the no-call on Pruitt's drive right before the touch foul
3. the no-call on Powe's rebound in the last minute
4. the play where Miles stepped out of bounds twice chasing a rebound, didn't re-establish position, then threw it off Pierce with one foot AGAIN out of bounds (all 2-5 feet from Bavetta)
5. Rondo getting knocked over by a big (I think maybe Harpring) on a layup attempt - he made the shot but it was a clear And-1
6. Pierce literally getting shoved into a doubled-over position by Harpring while trying to hold his position (multiple times)
7.Pierce being called for an offensive for bumping Harpring back
8. Collins getting a bogus charge on Pruitt where he was clearly still sliding his feet
9. Williams shoving Eddie House off while driving to the basket
10.  Okur grabbing Scal's arm and flailing into a called 6th foul.

That was completely off the top of my head, and it's far from every bad call made against us.  Thing was, the game was called pretty evenly until the T - I remember in particular Perk hitting a Jazz guy on a close shot, then getting hit himself on offense, with no calls for either.  At the time I thought, "well, at least they're being consistent."  Five minutes later that went completely out the window.  It's embarrassing to follow the NBA sometimes.

BTW - someone said the Jazz board was saying the refs were lopsided in their favor.  If you've got a link to that I'd like to see it.

« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2009, 11:42:15 AM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible

exactly. this game got completely out of control because of the refs.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2009, 11:43:25 AM »

Offline adam8

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 54

BTW - someone said the Jazz board was saying the refs were lopsided in their favor.  If you've got a link to that I'd like to see it.
http://celticsgreen.blogspot.com/ im assuming that was the link since i think FLcelts fan said it

« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2009, 11:47:55 AM »

Offline jpd985

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 41
I think Bavetta has gone senile.

« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2009, 12:01:03 PM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg
Bavetta's call against Pruitt in the first half was the most egotistical, put-you-in-your place, this-is-personal, don't-talk-back-to-me-I'm Dick-Bavetta call I've ever seen. There was just so clearly no foul, and Pruitt was complaining, so Dick tried to put him in his place. The only other officials I've seen do that were Leon Wood against the Celtics in Golden State and Joey Crawford against the Spurs a year or two ago. It was disgusting and somehow laughable at the same time.
Grab a few boards, keep the TO's under 14, close out on shooters and we'll win.

« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2009, 12:21:15 PM »

Offline twinbree

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 170

http://celticsgreen.blogspot.com/ im assuming that was the link since i think FLcelts fan said it

Interesting some Jazz fans can agree the refs helped them out. The thing is I'm pretty sure Bavetta hates the Jazz too making yesterday more puzzling. I think if the Celtics had lost to the Mavs he might have swung this game in their favour.
Tommy: He's got a line about me. Tell him the line.

Mike: Everybody 60 or over knows Tommy as a player. Everybody 40 or over knows Tommy as a coach. Everybody 20 or over knows Tommy as a broadcaster. And everybody 10 or under thinks he's Shrek.

« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2009, 01:18:46 PM »

Offline CeltsGM21

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 25
Did anyone else see the sequence where Pierce was up to the line and asked if someone could towel off the ball cause it was wet?  And then I heard Bavetta's voice, saying something like, "Come on, just take the ball and let's go."  Pierce was clearly annoyed and confused and proceeded to brick the first free throw, then walked back to the bench for a timeout clearly disgusted and then came back and missed the second free throw.  Not that I think this is an excuse- he should have made his free throws, but obviously this threw him off.  I was wondering what the big deal was for Bavetta to clean off the ball.  I've seen refs allow this all the time.  Of course the announcers didn't even notice this because they were too busy talking about Brewer's elbow or some other irrelevant, trivial matter, so I don't know if I was just seeing things due to my exhaustion or if anyone else caught it.

The whole game just really annoyed me as far as the reffing, especially watching KG leave and Scal come in and get something like 4 fouls in 2 minutes?  How is that possible?  I'm losing a lot of respect for Bavetta.  Every time I see him, I just want to tell him to retire.

Needless to say, I went to bed being very annoyed and wondering why I even stayed up that late for all that.

« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2009, 01:20:02 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
i wish sexyscottish were still around....for threads like these ;D

« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2009, 01:21:40 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
i wish sexyscottish were still around....for threads like these ;D

He's making Facebook an unsafe place
for NBA refs these days  :) No kidding.