Author Topic: Refs/Bavetta/Injuries result of bad reffing (merged ref threads)  (Read 17807 times)

Re: Bavetta
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2009, 08:37:39 AM »

Offline Spfldkid

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 30
Bavetta is a Celtic hater.......Didn't he call a lot of fouls on Tommy H when he was on the floor......Bavetta's mind retired years ago and his body is just out there running up and down the floor. Buy him a fishing pole, teach him to play golf....He is the Angry Old Man, the AOM...! This is turning into the "Refs" world, with guys hired to run up and down the floor to keep them company. Before this event, the refs place bets to see which one of them can control these guys more, and change the outcome. Whoever does it best, wins the money....They have been rotten for 2-3 years. This is revenge for "outing" the gambling ref, maybe they should wear HORIZONTAL stripes....? with a number on the shirt... Ref # 6812449..!

Re: Bavetta
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2009, 08:38:58 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
Never liked the guy. I'll leave it at that.

Re: Refs/Bavetta/Injuries result of bad reffing (merged ref threads)
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2009, 08:41:44 AM »

Offline lrybrd

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 18
Could you not agree with you more.  Bavetta was a joke tonight.  He allowed Harpring to manhandle Pierce to the point where Pierce could not even move to set a pick.  Then, He calls Pierce for an offensive foul when he is trying to discard Harpring from him.  

It was just god awful.  And that call on Pruitt for touching Williams going up the floor is as ticky-tack as you'll ever see.  

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2009, 09:02:14 AM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85
And I feel like every time there was a questionable call it was Dick that was making the call. I didn't even notice other bad refs in this game... I sense a big scandal with Bavetta in the future. We will be reading about this game in a court case a few years from now.

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2009, 09:06:32 AM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 590
Bevetta is the old guy that slows down traffic going 30 in a 45. If your that guy, then you shouldnt ref a game. This is the same type of game we played aginst LA, too many to's and bad reffing. As I said after that game, you can play through one of those, but you cannot play through to's and bad reffing. Horrible and I stayed up to watch that crap. I dont understand why the NBA has to be that bad. Its a hard game to ref I know, but it shouldnt be that bad. Just for once I wish that I could get ready  to watch the game and not wonder how much of a factor the refs are going to be. I wonder how many people dont bother with the league anymore or ever gave it a chance because of this >:(
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2009, 09:09:17 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
He seemed like an angry old man last night.  I had to hit the fast forward button several times because I was sick of watching free throws.  Horrible calls on Pruitt.

« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2009, 09:25:14 AM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11832
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
TP Andy!  Perfect!   

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2009, 09:30:42 AM »

Offline greg_kite

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
Nobody should know the refs names.  If they officiate correctly, nobody will know who is calling the game.  Everybody knows Bavetta.  Not only does he make bad calls, but he's extremely theatrical when he makes them.  He wants to be known.

I used to like the guy but I think it's time to hang 'em up (his shoes, not him)

« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2009, 09:32:27 AM »

Offline Hoyo de Monterrey

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 669
The NBA should start caring about this stuff because the message they're sending is either:

A) Our referees are corrupt and we really do not care.

or

B) Our referees are beyond incompetent and we really do not care.

Either way, every time the NBA fines a coach or player for talking at all about the refs with no public acknowledgement of obvious mistakes made nightly, they are sending the message to the fans that regardless of whether or not it's total incompetence or sheer scumbaggery, they care more about protecting the terrible refs in place then making sure they have good ones. I'm pretty sick of it.
"Let me call him," Floyd said.

The man shook his head. "O.J. doesn't give out his cell," he said. "He'll call you."

« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2009, 09:36:18 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
Nobody should know the refs names.  If they officiate correctly, nobody will know who is calling the game.  Everybody knows Bavetta.  Not only does he make bad calls, but he's extremely theatrical when he makes them.  He wants to be known.

I used to like the guy but I think it's time to hang 'em up (his shoes, not him)
Exactly.  Its pretty stupid when a 70 year old ref has a nastier game face than KG.

« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2009, 09:38:14 AM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
I just can't stand when Bavetta makes a call on the C's because he seems to do it with extra pep in is step like he's enthused about blowing the whistle on us.  Also, I saw Zach "WNBA" Zarba call the game in Atlanta live, and he's completely lost out there.  The offensive foul on Pierce off the ball on Harpring after he was bumped 3 or 4 times right in front of Zarba was especially ridiculous.  Throw in Bavetta's lack of a call on Pruitt's 1st half drive followed by the literal touch foul on Williams going back up the floor when Utah was in the penalty and it sums up the game pretty well.

This was a perfect example of a game where referees can keep a team in a game while shooting 29% by giving them 15 free throws to 5 in a half.  Sickening.

Even more sickening, the thought of KG being hurt.  Get well, big man.

Re: Refs
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2009, 09:40:36 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2009, 09:42:11 AM »

Offline tb727

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129
It's interesting- I was VERY critical of the officiating in that Laker game as well as a few other games earlier.  Last night's I thought was pretty fairly officiated, similar to the San Antonio loss.  We just lost, it happens.

I'm basing it on plays which I thought were obviously called incorrectly on either side.

However that Laker game reffing still bothers me.
Jay Wingspan Bilas

« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2009, 09:44:39 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
I'm surprised that as the game was about to start Bavetta didn't clap chalk onto Mike and Donny, go peak around the basket support, scream and pound his chest, then go toss the jump ball.

« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2009, 09:47:36 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
sadly, the last time I can recall a ref in the league that was respected (mostly) by players, coaches and fans was Earl Strom.  The guy stood out because he didn't give the home team discount on fouls and called it evenly.  Sad when a ref stands out for excellence simply by applying the rules fairly to both teams regardless of home court and applying the rules within the flow of the game.

He can't be any older than Dick"head" Bavetta.  Can we get him out of retirement and put Dick where he belongs?  (submit clever euphamism here)